Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love making tofu scramble burritos.

Just crumble up some tofu with some black beans and fry it up in a pan until the tofu starts to brown. add salsa and cheese (or soy cheese) and then mix it up til its all warm and melts. Then just roll it in a tortilla. I also add Hashbrowns into the tortilla sometimes.
Yum.

Advertisement

alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
terrordactyl
Registered Users
seller

Re: what's your favorite vegetarian recipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
-Portobello mushroom burgers
-Eggplant parmesan
-Black bean enchiladas
-Red beans and rice
-Cheese and zucchini lasagna (zucchini cut into ribbons with peeler to use instead of noodles)
-Fish tacos
-Broiled fish and steamed veggies
-Falafel and pita with roasted eggplant and hummus
-Mediterranean flatbread (pizza dough with sliced red onion, avocado, heirloom tomato and grated feta cheese)
-Homemade mac and cheese with sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, and onion
-loaded vegetable calzones (use tomato paste instead of sauce and it's not soggy)

Fish is in no way vegetarian.
terrordactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrordactyl

Fish is in no way vegetarian.
I eat fish and consider myself a vegetarian. But if someone asks for a vegetarian recipe I never give a fish one
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been using our dutch oven to make different vegetarian chilis and indian curries lately to add variety to our dinners. It's a nice change of pace for us as DH is a strict vegetarian and a native Italian - (and I'm a lazy pescatarian who never gets around to buying fish...) so we eat a lot of pasta dishes for sure.

Some discoveries:

Roasted red peppers and chiles add a nice flavor to any bean chili recipe. Roast them yourself under the broiler till they blacken, throw them in a paper bag in the freezer and the skins slide right off after 5 minutes. I add them to my own adaptation to this recipe, which is a great starting point for spin-offs:
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veget...ckvegchili.htm

Eggplant - that scary, yet filling purple produce - cooks up well in a slow cooker or dutch oven with lots of garlic / onions (potatoes) and spices. For an italian-style sauce use: oregano, basil & crushed tomato. For indian curry style, spice with: cumin, garam masala, tumeric, chili powder. Serve over rice, couscous, pasta for a filling meal.

My best friends are dark, leafy greens like kale / spinach / chard / collards / rabe - Simplest prep is to heat a TBSP or two of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Add crushed fresh garlic and let that flavor the oil for 1-2 minutes (do not let brown), then add washed, ripped up vegetable leaves, sprinkle with sea salt and cover. Once wilted, sautee and if you like, add some crushed red pepper flakes, Braggs (amino acids - like soy sauce but better flavor) or fresh lemon juice. Delicious and so healthy. Even my 2 year old eats this every day.

Baked sweet potatoes are easy to prepare and wonderful to eat. They keep well and can be used in a variety of dishes from burrito / leftovers wraps to chilis to soups, stews.

Roasted chickpeas are easy and really tasty - feels like snack food only healthy.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-sp...sted-chickpeas

When all else fails...eggs! We make quiches, scrambled, frittatas...possibilities are endless and delicious.

There are loads of great recipes out there. I never understand when my relatives and friends get stressed out over feeding vegetarians. To me, cooking meat is scary and a super pain to keep sanitary in the kitchen. Enjoy! You'll do great.
piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Book marking for later

We are cooking for a vegetarian family the week they are home from the hospital with their baby who has to have open heart surgery
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dh and i have been talking about eating vegetarian a few times a week and I keep looking for things that will work for us that aren't in our radar but Dh is allergic to eggplant and eggs if they are dominant (he can take a little cooked into something else but no fried or scrambled eggs) and my kids don't like cheesy dishes, which leaves basically bean tacos?
I love eggplant - sigh
We could do the falafel but those are a ton of work, aren't they? All that rolling and deep frying? Yummy though!
Curried lentils sounds good too.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan

I eat fish and consider myself a vegetarian. But if someone asks for a vegetarian recipe I never give a fish one
Technically you would be a pescatarian. I could see how it might be easier to tell someone vegetarian if they are cooking for you I guess. But yeah, not vegetarian if you eat fish.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack

Technically you would be a pescatarian. I could see how it might be easier to tell someone vegetarian if they are cooking for you I guess. But yeah, not vegetarian if you eat fish.
yep vegetarians don't eat fish.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe when the mere thought of veggies no longer makes me battle waves of nausea, I can implement some of this into mine and the kids' diet!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Subbing, I've been eating mostly vegetarian meals for a couple of weeks now and it's hard to come up with new ideas for dinner for just me.

P.S. - does anybody have an easy falafel recipe? I love that stuff!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own