Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

What do you feed your toddler when they're sick?

My 13 month old is sick for the first time ever (other than a mild cold) and she now only nurses once a day. I''m pregnant and my milk is pretty much dried up so it's really only for comfort before bed and maybe a few drops of milk. She has a fever and is cranky and well, just has that sick look. She's less animated, not lethargic, but looks tired. I didn't realize her stomach was upset until after lunch. So dinner is toast with margarine and rice cooked in chicken broth. What do you usually feed your little ones when they're not well?

ETA: Nix the rice. She threw it on the floor, wouldn't try any broth either so just ate a little toast with margarine. She's drinking lots though so not too worried. My husband is getting some bananas for tomorrow.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 12-28-2012 at 04:24 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Banana, rice, bread/toast, crackers...nothing too strong. Also FLUIDS!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you feed your toddler when they're sick?

Applesauce, blueberries if she wants them (her favorite), yogurt if she wants it, macaroni and cheese...basically whatever she will eat.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

My mom always taught my the "BRAT" diet when they are sick. Bananas, rice, apples/applesauce, toast

DS usually likes toast or a banana when he's sick and it stays down pretty well.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Depends on what they are sick with. If they have an upset stomach, things that are gentle and fairly bland. If sore throat, soft foods. If they have a lot of mucous, we avoid dairy.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Depends on what they are sick with. If they have an upset stomach, things that are gentle and fairly bland. If sore throat, soft foods. If they have a lot of mucous, we avoid dairy.
This is pretty much what I follow. I also try to steer them away from dairy if they have a high fever. However if they really want to eat something outside these 'guidelines' I will let them. I figure their bodies will 'tell' them what they need/can handle.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I just make sure she is drinking plenty and offer whatever we are having and offer her favorites (or just bland foods if upset tummy). My DD had a nasty cough + fever recently. I took her to the dr and at that point she had literally eaten nothing for a week. Her dr wasn't concerned because she was still drinking lots. I'd also let her nurse as much as possible...even a couple drops can still help
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

When both of my boys are sick, they usually love egg noodles cooked in chicken broth. I try not to give them a lot of acidic fruit if they have diarrhea. They always love bananas! If their throats are sore I will blend up some milk, bananas, and some other fruit and make popsicles out of it.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Depends on the ailment. GI gunk = brat. Upper respiratory = steamy warm stuff

We're dealing with croup right now and after two days he looked at me with his big sad eyes and asked for chic fil a. We had it for lunch and dinner
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Real juice, real juice popsicles, noodle soup, fruit, crackers, plain pasta. If they aren't too stuffy I do yogurt or smoothies.