Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please oh please tell me I am NOT the only one!

My DD was given a Rapunzel barbie doll for Christmas. It's a toy..not a collector. But I can't bring myself to open it. At all.

Backstory
Growing up my Mom has collected me Holiday Barbies. Technically they are "Happy Holiday" barbies from 1988 (the year I was born) to 1998 or 1999 but whatever you get the point. However, I wasn't allowed to OPEN these barbies. This caused my other family members to also buy me barbies but again I wasn't allowed to open them because they are collectors. As a result I have tons and tons of Barbies all in their original boxes. I never once got to play with a barbie.Ever in my life. And even now my mom still buys me the holiday barbie which I admit the one year she didn't I got upset and she found it on ebay for me .However, no matter what doll it is I can't open the box. Why? I feel guilty. My cousin brought me her barbie Christmas eve to open for her and I couldn't do it. I had to get someone else to open it for her because I could not for the LIFE of me open it. ITS JUST A TOY!!!

*sigh* Please tell me someone has SOMETHING like this that they can't do. I get its slightly funny. Its just a cardboard box. Its just a piece of plastic but I still can't open it.

Advertisement

Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
My mom collected the holiday Barbies for me as well. Anyways, this past year she brought them to me from her house. I had them in my daughters closet. Well, my sons brought their friends over and they were all playing in DDs room. THEY OPENED EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!!!! So now they are toys my daughter plays with. I wasn't too upset because after looking on eBay they aren't of real value and at least they get played with now. So the point of this post is, just let her play with the Barbie. It's more enjoyable that way!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please oh please tell me I am NOT the only one!

My dad has a basement full of Lionel trains still in their shipping cartons. LOL.

Honestly, dolls here get played with. We opened up the fancy Barbie dolls my mom bought DD and she plays with them. I hate stuff sitting on a shelf collecting dust, and am not into collectables at all. The only thing "collectable" we have is one display case full of Harmony Kingdom flowers that DH's mom gave me for every birthday and Christmas. She died a year ago, so sadly, I doubt the collection will get any larger.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm the same way. I used to collect the around the world barbies (as well as the holiday ones.) They aren't worth much now, so my mom has started sending them to my daughter for holidays and birthdays. I still cringe when I open them!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

I'm the same way I never opened many of my dolls either. I had a few I played with. Now my dd got a cabbage patch with her name & birthday & I wouldn't open it. It's displayed in her room. She's gonna get all my dolls I saved I'm not sure if I'm going to let her open them but probably not lol maybe a few.
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I also collected holiday barbies. But I got normal barbies as gifts that I could open.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My SO is like that. I just feel like whatever, it's a kids toy.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you checked the selling prices? I was given a dozen or so Barbies that my grandma had collected over the years. They don't sell for more than $20 on eBay because so many people kept them. So, they got opened and played with.
I hated getting gifts that just sat on my shelf as a kid. I refuse to do that to my daughter.
Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak_955 View Post
Have you checked the selling prices? I was given a dozen or so Barbies that my grandma had collected over the years. They don't sell for more than $20 on eBay because so many people kept them. So, they got opened and played with.
I hated getting gifts that just sat on my shelf as a kid. I refuse to do that to my daughter.
yeah I have. Its not to much as the price they are going for. About 10 or 15 of them are going for a few hundred but then again I can't bring myself to SELL them. It more along the lines of I have taught not to open then LOL. At this point DD isn't into dolls are barbies right now (shes only 2) so I really think at this point im just going to wait and if she gets into them....I may let her open mine. For now shes got repunzle. hah
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
My DH is like that with Beanie Babies. He cringes when he sees a bent tag, or even worse a tag that's been removed.