Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DS2 (8 weeks) has a bad yeast infection. Saw tonight that DS1 (2.5 yrs old) now has it as well. They circulate the OS diapers, and after reading that it can grow on diapers (duh!) I washed my dipes like this:

One cold wash with bleach and rinse with white vinegar
One hot wash with bleach and apple cider vinegar with a double rinse.

Is that sufficient? I really don't want my dipes destroyed or have yeast. It ruined my just dyed prefolds

Also any ideas on what to do about the yeast? I'm using nystatin on DS2 and Monistat on DS1. I see the doc for DS2's check up tomorrow. It won't go away and we're stuck in disposables!!

Hali -- SAHM, CD, EBF, DSx4, DH ❤

Advertisement

Last edited by halielise924; 12-30-2012 at 07:27 PM.
halielise924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Tristan's Mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Yeast Disaster

It's been awhile since we had yeast, but I am remembering that I used olive oil religiously on their bums for a few days (every changing), which helped significantly. Someone also told me to try yogurt on them instead of diaper cream (I also let the yogurt sit out and "culture"). I did that a few times, but it was alot messier than the olive oil :-)

I'm not sure which did the trick...or if it was the combo. I also think I would do a few more hot washes on the diapers.
Tristan's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I ordered TTO and GSE to try but it won't be here for a few days :/

Hali -- SAHM, CD, EBF, DSx4, DH ❤
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Why are you using the apple cider vinegar? Are you trying to set up a competing biofilm of a different yeast, or just trying to neutralize the ph after the bleach? I know when I've had a really bad systemic yeast infection, I avoided eating anything like vinegar that is made by fermenting yeasts. Yoghurt is made by fermenting bacteria that compete so that's why some people try the topical yoghurt. I would maybe just omit the vinegar for the laundry.
I have personally used apple cider vinegar topically for yeast rashes, and it clears it up but it does sting. I don't know if your LOs skin is too raw to try it, but you could try swabbing the rashy area and see if it clears....or spray it on, to avoid any painful rubbing.

The GSE drops work really well for some people on here. I've never used it myself, but I know there's mamas on here that do that can tell you how many drops to add to your rinse with an HE washer or not.

Edited to add: I did a google search and apparently for general disinfection 10-16 drops of GSE per load is good, but for resistant yeast spores, you should use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per load.

Last edited by kirst; 12-30-2012 at 09:32 PM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bleaching the diapers every load and the monastat has worked on my girl. We've only had yeast twice, but the prescription stuff has never worked on her.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I highly, highly recommend resorting to bleach with yeast. It's a nasty thing that spreads easily, as you've seen, and it's easier to kick it in the butt at once with bleach than to try this or try that and exposure your diapers to potentially more wear, tear, and other things. Use chlorine bleach for everything white and microfiber and chlorine free bleach for everything else. Wash everything-wipes, liners, inserts, diapers, covers, etc. Use the hottest water your diapers can tolerate. One or two (max) bleach washes should take care of the yeast.

The thing that I have found that works the best for yeast rashes on the diaper area is just plain yogurt...yes really! Find a plain yogurt (no added fruits or anything) with live and active cultures and apply directly to the diaper area. Yogurt is also CD friendly.

Spunkify is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Definitely treat the diapers for the next few washes even after the rash appears to have cleared up. I would also add a probiotic to their diet. I've only dealt with it once in cloth but we were able to stay in cloth and clear it up within a week with bleach in the wash, coconut oil on the bum and probitoics. Also lots of air time.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank y'all! Doctor switched me to lotrimun for the bums! I have GSE and TTo on the way.

I read that white vinegar isn't helpful but apple cider is. Apparently bleach doesn't get rid of the spores and only GSE does.?

Luckily I have some GMD prefolds arriving today because I'm scared of my cloth until I can get the GSE and TTO as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm also feeding my older child yogurt and cheeses. May try buttermilk as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

According to Colorox, bleach will kill Candida albicans (a yeast). Heat will also kill the yeast which is why you're suppose to wash things that have come in contact with a yeast rash, whether it's a diaper area, thrush, or vaginal area, with super hot water.

As I stated in my post above, bleach in the wash and yogurt in the diaper area was the best thing that most efficiently took care of our yeast issue in the fastest way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halielise924 View Post
I'm also feeding my older child yogurt and cheeses. May try buttermilk as well.

Spunkify is online now   Reply With Quote