Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #231
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ****January**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Ok Fodie, I'm puttin' dh on the phone and you can tell him that. Although I do have a lady buying my one little pullet from the last batch today. Probably good timing because I'd started to rationalize keeping her.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #232
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
nooooess... next week is FOREVER away. I don't know when I'll get the mottled eggs, your name goes on a list and they ship when available. FX it doesn't clash with my other ones!
This is why I have2. I keep the hubabator (sp?) as a bator set at low humidity, the homemade one at a high # and my day 18 and up. I just pull when day 18 and put in the hatcher. I have multiple dates in the bator. Ray was talking about building another, haha! A bigone! For selling the fancy breed chicks later. Gotta find a cooler or somethin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Ok Fodie, I'm puttin' dh on the phone and you can tell him that. Although I do have a lady buying my one little pullet from the last batch today. Probably good timing because I'd started to rationalize keeping her.
I agree with Fodie!!

AFM- we spent the WHOLE day cleaning the coop and run! Yuck! Scraping mud, sifting shavings with the kitty-litter scooper, washed the waterer, sprayed the whole run and perches. I'm not even done! I wanted to take the grill brush I got and scrub the inside perches. Ray should have the nest box ready to install soon. it had to dry today, then we need that piece to run across the front to hold shavings in. THEN,,,,,we'll pu wood for the perch extension plan. Whew!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #233
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oooohhhhhh now I feel dumb. I couldn't figure out why there was a need for a "hatcher" that would basically be the same as a incubator. That makes complete sense!

Sarah what happened with your eggs that had the temp drop?

Squeaky McMurdo, did yours hatch?

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 01-30-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #234
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Er, the one hatching died, and I've pulled 3 from the bator. I can only assume the temp was the cause for the one hatching. I'm not as sure about the others. I pulled a cpl 2 days before as well. Not sure, but those eggs weren't as strong as the first. They are a diff breed though.

Both have fans, monitors, and 100 deg heat set. I just keep diff humidities set.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #235
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm overdue for a photobomb. We'll prob loose power and net with this storm, so I'm taking advantage. I have 3 deliveries of eggs in the bators, so please pray we keep power! we're also bad about tornadoes here. Here are some of my fav desktop backgrounds. The roo in the field happened to be one of the breeds I'm getting, lol. What a coincidence. I had no clue till rescently. I have had him grace my background for quite some time now! I also have a thing for vintage chicken and kiddo pics, they are just htf.

If anyone has some, PLEASE link me of I can send ya my e-mail!!!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #236
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Pretty pics!! What have you got in the incubator, and coming sarah? Fodie when are yours due again?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #237
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Around the 12th! Maybe if they are a bit late then they will be Valentines babies! <3
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #238
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So talk to me about coop/run sizes. For 4-6 chickens, how much space do I need?
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #239
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Around the 12th! Maybe if they are a bit late then they will be Valentines babies! <3
aww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
So talk to me about coop/run sizes. For 4-6 chickens, how much space do I need?
I've forgotten... I think it's 4sq ft/a chicken? I made my run double what it needed to be just because I was worried about behavioral issues and that's never a bad idea, read the guidelines and then make it bigger than you think you'll ever need. You can never go wrong giving them too much space.

We ate our first home grown chicken tonight, holy cow that was delicious! The meat was so tender and flavorful it was amazing. Seriously considering a heritage bird for meat if we do it. I cooked our friend's cornish x side by side with our and everyone preferred ours hands down. The cornish's meat was very dense and it was good the way I cooked it but it wasn't as savory as our 9month old hen. yum!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #240
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Eggs are coming starting monday! My mottled ameraucanas are shipping monday morning and the other two batches should be here the following week. Looks like I'm going to be making that hatcher.