Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****January**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

I have 2 seasional creeks running most of the time, minus deep summer, and then a cpl buckets that catch rain water under the carport edge. They like their water, lol. Mine are just all over the place and I like to know they have access where they happen to be on the property. Do you free-range any? I'm just wondering if they found another source? They are such smart buggers.

AFM-I tinkin got 15 eggs today! Highest # ever! The only change is cleaning daily. I tell ya, the happier they are, the more we get. yay! I won't know what to do when they all are laying!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #22
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out my choices!!!! Ah! I think I narrowed it down though. Took some self controll, lol. 8 lav hens, blk roo and lav roo.
Arn't they cute!!!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have a bird bath warmer to prevent freezing, we see them drinking from it.. I haven't checked on them at night but . they got d-earth dusted yesterday.

I saw some looking at silkies, we had . a couple whites that were hilarious and did funny dances with their feet. though little guys to, saw Dusty our really funny guy Chase a Fox, we . n never saw Dusty again sadly but comet still is a critter

f2f forgive typos kindle is weird
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They are prob not liking the nipple system and raiding the bird bath, lol.

Check this out. She's killin me!!!!!!:

"If you want to add a brand new breed, Rachael just got a pair of Partridge Barthuhners and is getting her pair of Bielefelders today. They are being sent to me, and they should be here before noon! She got the third pair of Partridge Barthuhners ever sold in the US, and the Bielefelders are only the second pair sold. The Bielefelders are another auto-sexing breed like the Rhodebar, Legbar, and Jaerhon. I would only do 4 of these chicks, however, instead of 8 because they are so rare and Rachael only has a pair of each."
http://greenfirefarms.com/store/cate.../bielefelders/
Bielefelder:

http://greenfirefarms.com/store/cate...ns/barthuhner/
Barthuhner:

She also got a quad of American White Bresse, if you would like a great meat chicken. It is supposed to be one of the best in the world.
http://greenfirefarms.com/store/cate...erican-bresse/
Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

geez sarah how much are her chickens? All are listed as 999 EACh LOL. Hope your not paying that much if so we may need to stick you in chicken re-hab
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #26
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

yup, raiding the bird bath, poor sparrows. RFLOL!! I'd just give them a regular water bowl. Re: the kindle, it's easier if you turn off the autocorrect/autofill text in the settings, look under "more", go to language/keyboard, click keyboards, click where it says English (us) english (uk), french, german spanish blah blah, and you'll get to your settings where you can turn off the auto correct. It's almost as bad as Iphone. RFLOL

OMG... sarah you're killing me what gorgeous silkies!! What are you trading for now? I'd love to have a partridge... or a splash... oh heck who am I kidding I'd love any of those.

AFM, well I'm a little tired of the crankiness among my girls that 's making them pick at each other and of getting a fraction of the eggs I should be getting. So I went and bought some straw again because I think they weren't liking that I switched back to pine shavings for the nests/dirt floor and I also think seeing them all fluffed and trying to crawl UNDER each other in the coop last night that they are a little uncomfortable in the cold. I completely re-arranged the nest boxes, stacking them back up again, putting a board over the top so they don't get pooped on and adding a open bucket nest for my Lacy-girl who doesn't like an enclosed box and will go off and make her own nest in the coop on the floor if there's straw to do so. I got that all spiffy and then added a good 8-10" of straw all thru the bottom of the coop. Hopefully that will make them happy and they'll start laying again. I also drug some huge logs from our burn pile into the coop for them to roost on. They sat on them the first day, but not since. Oh well. I tried. They got leftover corn on the cob from dinner last night and some bread the boys tore up making their sandwiches from lunch so they ought to be pleased as punch. But we all know that doesn't mean they'll lay so fingers crossed! LOL

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 01-03-2013 at 02:58 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
geez sarah how much are her chickens? All are listed as 999 EACh LOL. Hope your not paying that much if so we may need to stick you in chicken re-hab
I know, right? Sarah we're gonna sign you up for chick hoarders anonymous.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone supplement their chickens feed with cayenne pepper? I have been doing some research and finding it can help with keeping them laying better, help their immune system, prevent parasites. I had no idea, I'm going to give it a try! I had no idea that they have no heat receptors so they don't notice the heat. It can also keep other critters from eating their feed.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #29
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I have heard that but never tried it. Although that does explain why they ate my bell and jalepeno peppers last summer with no ill effects. LOL!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

SOMEBODY is still pecking feathers and I'm so ticked off!!! Seems like more of my girl's and even the roo's tail fluff disappears every day and I haven't been able to catch the perp. I don't know whether they're doing it at night or during dustbathing but SOMEONE is doing it and about 1/2 the girls are already wearing glasses so I'm at a loss. I'm ready to send whoever it is to freezer camp.