Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #351
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

I keep mine by the double window corner in the kitchen. Sounds like an odd place, I know. It's the best window space, easy to clean floor, easy access, and space.

This may not be helpfull? I'm horrible with ages. I keep them indoors untill they are fully feathered. Then they move to the growout-pen. It's the one that was converted from the wood frame of a queen bed. They stay draft free and warm in there untill big enough to join the big coop in groups of at least 4. That way no singeling out. It just gets really cramped and misserable at the feathered out stage. They want to roam and stretch their wings, ect. They also have bigger and stinkier poos. the less you have in one brooder, the better it is all the way around.
Now for when they start getting bigger, I love this setup, I just don't have the space:
Minus the kiddy pool. Too slippery for me. I think plastic, paper, then thick mulch would work well. I saw one where the woman made a swing gate to walk in out of box.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #352
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess you could put paper in the pool though, lol. Didn't think of that.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #353
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out todays score!!!!! Ahhh! I can't even find ones this nice fs! It's so thick. It was in the trash boxes at coop. They were giving it away with the boxes or gonna toss it!

Progress on the coop.

Man, I almost had 6 ee chicks in the bag today at ts. Ray was upset they had a min purchase and I had to put them back.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #354
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will send you EE chick eggs as soon as they start laying good eggs!
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #355
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay! I deff wanna trade for some of the silver laced or blrw!!! I'm still bummed mine was a boy.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #356
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah. As soon as I'm sure the new roo is fertilizing the hens I can send you some too. He's 11-12 weeks now and if memory serves me, fred was mating by 18wks old. So it would be April/may. Good time for chicks! Oh, and we named him Kojo (ko- joe). The boys didn't like my suggested name, too hard to say. LOL He's quite the character. Hopefully he'll have a better personality than daddy, if not he'll find himself up for dinner too!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 02-12-2013 at 06:09 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #357
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds great Liz! I hope the trade for the cool breeds goes through this spring. Ray's working so hard on this coop for me. I already sent her my share too. The incident of the bators being turned off killed all but 1 chick from the last shipment, this one there are 3-4 left I think. I can't keep up with the tossing! Makes me wanna hurl!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #358
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh I'm so sorry. My bator's working perfect and I candled tonight (day 5) and I see 4/12 silkies fertile (sad about that, hoping I just can't see them through the porous shells), 5/7 mottled ameraucanas, one was bacterial ring, I tossed it. The other looks like a clear. Sarah c's I can't tell yet but I candled a wheaten and I think I see some light veins. Hard to tell through those shells tho. I'm going to be so upset if I only get the 4 silkies! I'm glad the rate of hatch of the mottleds is good. I paid a lot for those. They were packed and labeled the best out of all of the eggs. *sigh*
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #359
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw, hopefully you just can't see yet. The way I'm able to tell is the top part of the egg starts to get thicker and darker. Like they do long ways with a hatch without cartons. It's REALLY hard to tell with cartons. You have to give way more time before you toss. the dark and pourious eggs are just the worse!

I just checked the bators. I have 3 left and one looks like a fail. These will be some dang expensive chicks by the time I consider what I traded, shipping, and the losses. I don't use the word often, but it sucks.

Have faith Liz, FX you just can't tell yet.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #360
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Which ones were those sarah? And did you get word on the lav's?