Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #711
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Got a question for you all. We have mixed age flock, 5 ( 4 RSL and one Dom) are 2 years old now and 4 (EE) are now one year old. The 2 year olds are just getting past their first full moult. Their laying this winter has been bad . Last winter they laid great through winter. I don't know how their production will be after moulting is all over, it's been slowly picking up.

My question is what is the best way to start a new flock to replace these girls? At what age? I love my EE but their production is not what I thought it would be. We are very attached to one of them (the Dom named Cookie) She is so sweet and I don't know if I want to part with her. I want to try different breeds next time and get a larger number at once instead of having mixed ages.

I want to try Black Australorps, Wyandottes, Marans and others.

Advertisement

vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #712
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A quick update and run. We moved the chicks outside to the old turkey coop and they are doing awesome! So glad we made the move.They are growing leaps and bounds. I think in less than a month they'll be ready for the main coop. They're huge!
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #713
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Too funny. I thought wow that's a little crude for Sarah! She must have pooped it all out. That's the only way I can explain it. I turned the egg all around. Even looked at the others even though I was sure it was hers!
I know right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Oh man I missed the typo! Haha. You'll have to explain. We have 1 baby we woke up to this morning and 11 more pipped.
I forgot the p in passes in that last sentance, lol. Congrats!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
Got a question for you all. We have mixed age flock, 5 ( 4 RSL and one Dom) are 2 years old now and 4 (EE) are now one year old. The 2 year olds are just getting past their first full moult. Their laying this winter has been bad . Last winter they laid great through winter. I don't know how their production will be after moulting is all over, it's been slowly picking up.

My question is what is the best way to start a new flock to replace these girls? At what age? I love my EE but their production is not what I thought it would be. We are very attached to one of them (the Dom named Cookie) She is so sweet and I don't know if I want to part with her. I want to try different breeds next time and get a larger number at once instead of having mixed ages.

I'm working on this with the cochins. I'm just hatching and selecting the best gals to keep. When it's butcher time the olds and non-selected will go to feed the family. It's a hard decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
A quick update and run. We moved the chicks outside to the old turkey coop and they are doing awesome! So glad we made the move.They are growing leaps and bounds. I think in less than a month they'll be ready for the main coop. They're huge!
Yay!!!! I was wondering, lol. So glad it worked out!

AFM___ Ya'll won't believe this. Peta was put in the boy/meat pen but I thought she was scared because she kept squatting for me. I realised and let her out and she's now on top on Mrs. Purdy! Gonna have another Oct baby laying! And GET THIS:!!!!!!!!! One of the red throated blk Oct babies flew over my head and into a box, laid a little egg! WOOOO! These gals are like 4.5 months! I have 2 buckeyeXbooboo chicken crosses, and then Dove, and also The australorpXbooboo chicken cross Pita. I kept those the other day because I was on the fence about a cpl being boys. Turned out only 1 was, Peter. The one who started the fight the other day! I guess crosses are imposible to sex. No matter how hard I try, we can't vent sex! Now when they were chicks, we feather sexed and it was darn accurate!

I'm one happy oma! Our first hatched babies from our own now laying!!! I love the do it yourself motto we have adopted!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #714
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Oh man I missed the typo! Haha. You'll have to explain. We have 1 baby we woke up to this morning and 11 more pipped.
It's going to be a fun day for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post

Get them right now, that way they'll be laying before summer and won't go into moult before POL. When I got my hens 3/31 last year they were laying by july/aug. I would wait until the newbies are 16-18 weeks old before you start, but sell the laying 1 year olds you aren't attached to to recoup the cost of the new hens and then start culling any older hens that aren't laying well once the new flock starts. I would keep any gals that are laying 5/wk until they drop from that but that's JMO. The problem is going to be that I see a lot of "want" breeds in your list that are also not known to be super layers either. Maybe you could compromise this time with half rhode island reds or sexlinks to fill your baskets and then a handful of your chosen heritage birds to try out and see how they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Yay! They sure do get stinky and big fast, I need to post pics of my new babies, 2 weeks and 1 week old, respectively now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I know right!

I forgot the p in passes in that last sentance, lol. Congrats!!!!

I'm working on this with the cochins. I'm just hatching and selecting the best gals to keep. When it's butcher time the olds and non-selected will go to feed the family. It's a hard decision.

Yay!!!! I was wondering, lol. So glad it worked out!

AFM___ Ya'll won't believe this. Peta was put in the boy/meat pen but I thought she was scared because she kept squatting for me. I realised and let her out and she's now on top on Mrs. Purdy! Gonna have another Oct baby laying! And GET THIS:!!!!!!!!! One of the red throated blk Oct babies flew over my head and into a box, laid a little egg! WOOOO! These gals are like 4.5 months! I have 2 buckeyeXbooboo chicken crosses, and then Dove, and also The australorpXbooboo chicken cross Pita. I kept those the other day because I was on the fence about a cpl being boys. Turned out only 1 was, Peter. The one who started the fight the other day! I guess crosses are imposible to sex. No matter how hard I try, we can't vent sex! Now when they were chicks, we feather sexed and it was darn accurate!

I'm one happy oma! Our first hatched babies from our own now laying!!! I love the do it yourself motto we have adopted!
Congrats on the surprise girls, and laying already in this cold, wow! Good thing you've got going there don't change it! Boy, the mamas that got your eggs are going to be loving that!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #715
joyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so... random, probably unanswerable question here. i have two or three hens who like to announce their egg laying episodes for like 20 minutes. is there any way to encourage them to just shut up about it already?? besides standing on the back deck and yelling at them. (which doesn't work anyway, but after awhile i have to try.) i mean, a little announcement is no big deal, but i have two sex-links and one maran that just go ON and ON and ON. have y'all encountered this nuisance before? i'm thrilled that they lay so regularly, of course, but geez. i like my peace and quiet...and these mamas are so loud that i swear they wake up the baby sometimes, and really it can be like 20-30 minutes of continuous tooting-the-horn.
joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #716
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I shared a vid of my like gals doing this, lol. I take an hour or more to clean the coop and I do it early so everyone is laying. The buckeyes do this and they are getting attatched to me so they hop on over to where I am and sing in my face. Talk about the boss all up in your face buddy! I have to laugh every time though. Elly May gets up almost touching my nose. Sometime I humor them and sing with them. They like it, haha. The only thing I have found to stop it is to set them out of the coop. They do it before and after though, haha. Wacky Momas! Thank goodness the coop is far from the house! They are soooooo loud. My ears actually start to hurt, so yes I have experiebnce with it. I think by setting them out of the coop now for so long has started to help, really. Can you time your cleaning time with when those cpl gals are in there, then set them out when they lay? If not, I have no other ideas.

I think my question got blerred in with my jabbering again.

Has anyone had experience with their girls setting and then not passing an egg, even singing after. It happens daily with all the gals. Is this just their day of rest? It's happened with all of them. They sing, sit for an hour, then hop out singing and the box is empty. I have a ton of gals, so I guess it's not that often per hen, but it's someone every day if that makes sense? HELP!!!! I need to know what this is and i have no clue how to search it?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #717
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should have added that we only have room for 9 ( max) hens. I know if they all went we would have some time with getting no eggs. There's no other coop for new birds, so the ones we have now would have to be gone by the time the new chicks could go in the coop. I am thinking now that next year maybe the year we replace them. Then the older girls will be 2 and 3 yrs old. Are birds that old still good for eating? Or just stew hens? I don't know if we could sell the EE's. We live in town and could be seen as outlaws .

I have read that Australorps are great layers? I do like the RSL, not to fond of the temperament of Rhode island reds. I like the idea of getting a few of the ones I listed, and more RSL. I love a diverse flock but we also want lots of eggs as well.

I know we can't do it this year, have to do some planning for next year. I know DH would have no problem butchering them, and I need to face the reality of it.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #718
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
so... random, probably unanswerable question here. i have two or three hens who like to announce their egg laying episodes for like 20 minutes. is there any way to encourage them to just shut up about it already?? besides standing on the back deck and yelling at them. (which doesn't work anyway, but after awhile i have to try.) i mean, a little announcement is no big deal, but i have two sex-links and one maran that just go ON and ON and ON. have y'all encountered this nuisance before? i'm thrilled that they lay so regularly, of course, but geez. i like my peace and quiet...and these mamas are so loud that i swear they wake up the baby sometimes, and really it can be like 20-30 minutes of continuous tooting-the-horn.
I have found giving our girls treats will take their minds away from the egg song, but sometimes they just don't care.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #719
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

The egg song can't be stopped, I don't mind the girls doing it but my roo gets going and he has such a shrill shriek that I just want to knock his block off when he's been going on for 10 minutes or more. LOL I have heard people say that bushes or trees around the coop provide a good sound-break for the racket.

Sarah my girls do that, I think they just want to remind all the other girls that they have dibs on the favorite box too, and sometimes it may be their "day off" but they see someone else's egg and decide they need to sit. Sometimes they sing for another girl. I don't think you need to worry.

So I set the eggs! Batch #3. Dh's a little pissed off at me because of how many there are. I cannot explain to the man that the liklihood they'll all hatch is so incredibly slim it's practically not even possible. Probably half if all goes well. Then half will be boys and will need culling.

I dropped one, a mottled egg. So ticked off at myself over that. My luck it'll be the only one that had any hope. *sigh*. I got some really gorgeous eggs in the mail this time, they look so much better and I feel good about this hatch so we'll see.
I set 6 mottled Ameraucanas, 12 lavendar Ameraucanas, 12 blue/lav/black/wheaten mixed Ameraucanas and 2 mixes from my flock, a EE/red partridge rock and a EE/brahma. I wanted to put more of mine in but they wouldn't fit! LOL Not really sure what I'm going to get from that last batch of Ameraucanas but holy cow are they a gorgeous aqua blue! Such little darlings too, the new babies are so heartbreakingly sweet.

check out the color of the upper right corner egg! I hope it hatches!!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 03-08-2013 at 01:57 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #720
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I've not been on DS in awhile, but wanted to pop back on. I have 4 easter egger chicks arriving on the 22nd!
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote