Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
thrifty home updates??

Our home is in desperate need of some updating. We need to do something for kitchen floors and are looking toward laminate, we also need to replace the toilet and vanity/sink in the bathroom. We do have some money put aside for this but I would like some suggestions specifically on the flooring for the kitchen. We honestly haven't even shopped around for any yet. Suggestions? Something thrifty but with a decent durability is what we are looking for. Dh and my dad and brother will probably install it so easy install is a must as well. TIA!

Also any other ideas for thrifty updating in all areas of the house would be appreciated as we are only just beginning.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: thrifty home updates??

Do you have a HOBO (home improvement something something?) store near you? They have in general cheaper flooring and toilets, vanities than other places.

I'm not sure what is a thrifty idea for kitchen flooring, I know tile is cheap though....like inexpensive as there is a huge range of cheaper to more $$
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We are in need of kitchen and bathroom flooring. My sister installed some resilient flooring in her home office/entry. It does actually feel and look like hardwood. Some don't but she paid a little more for a better quality. I love it in there and want some too. Very easy install.

The appeal to me is that it can be laid in very wet areas. It is quieter than laminate and hardwood. My kids are still little and make lots of messes.

Might be an option for you unless you are set on laminate.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh View Post
Do you have a HOBO (home improvement something something?) store near you? They have in general cheaper flooring and toilets, vanities than other places.

I'm not sure what is a thrifty idea for kitchen flooring, I know tile is cheap though....like inexpensive as there is a huge range of cheaper to more $$
I guess I am meaning a good value but not necessarily "cheap" as in cost. We can't afford the most expensive but can afford a good mid range option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducko View Post
We are in need of kitchen and bathroom flooring. My sister installed some resilient flooring in her home office/entry. It does actually feel and look like hardwood. Some don't but she paid a little more for a better quality. I love it in there and want some too. Very easy install.

The appeal to me is that it can be laid in very wet areas. It is quieter than laminate and hardwood. My kids are still little and make lots of messes.

Might be an option for you unless you are set on laminate.
Definitely not set on laminate, we just haven't really checked out anything yet. I will look into the resilient flooring.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what resilient flooring is, but I know you can do laminate, engineered hardwood or just hardwood......going in that order from cheaper to expensive.

We originally had engineered hardwood in our home, it was scratched up from previous owners dogs though. But we always thought it was laminate until we had a flood and the flooring person told us it was engineered and we could have even sanded it down and refinished before the flood damaged it...
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
nichey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Look on Craigslist for materials and fixtures. You can usually get very high end stuff for about what you would expect to pay for midrange supplies at a big box store. We installed grout able vinyl tiles. They are really nice and have the look of ceramic without being cold or hard. They are very easy to install also!
nichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have any habitat stores near you? They get leftover tile and it should be very affordable. No matter what you decide I would keep checking there to see what they get in, since it always changes.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichey View Post
Look on Craigslist for materials and fixtures. You can usually get very high end stuff for about what you would expect to pay for midrange supplies at a big box store. We installed grout able vinyl tiles. They are really nice and have the look of ceramic without being cold or hard. They are very easy to install also!
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy13 View Post
Do you have any habitat stores near you? They get leftover tile and it should be very affordable. No matter what you decide I would keep checking there to see what they get in, since it always changes.
This and freecycle! My sil did all of these things and gutted her bathroom for $300.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I will say that the high grade wood floor look alike stuff holds up well and is easy to replace when its tears. friends just put it in for the 2nd time (first time their house burnt down).

We used a laminate from menards. It was an end so $20 but its look was amazing. I had bought as a temp fix to the problem, but we found the problem was deeper and we had to gut the entire bathroom so we didn't put it down until after that was done.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will second (or third?) Craigslist. We've been able to get fill dirt for our yard, stone for patio/walkways, bookcases, lumber, you name it for free on craigslist. There's a local add right now offering to pay someone $20 to take away a truck load of cedar lumber... trying to find a truck to borrow, lol!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote