Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

Natural bubble bath - using dish soap

Am I a bad mom? I just used Seventh Generation free & clear dish soap in the tub for DS's bubble bath.

I am getting sick of spending $9 on the tiny bottle of Burt's bees bubble bath at the store.

Has anyone else done this? I added some lavender essential oil to the bath and it smells wonderful.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would think it might be drying for their skin. But every once in while will not hurt. I bet they had a blast
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Natural bubble bath - using dish soap

I've never done it but definitely thought about it. We use dawn....the only thing stopping me really is I'm afraid it would sting if they got it in their eyes.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
jmb162
Registered Users
seller

We also used dawn a couple times but it was very drying to DS's skin.

$9 would be a lot considering how much we go through here!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Nope, not a bad mom. But I wouldn't do it too often. My friend used to have yeast infections and other problems down there as a kid, and only as an adult did she suspect it was due to her family's liberal use of dish soap in the bath. She tried it a couple times to see if it was that and it was.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Biokleen makes a dish soap that doubles as a bubble bath, but the fact is that it is a TERRIBLE dish soap that does not cut grease in the slightest (makes for a fairly cheap bubble bath though). Most dish soaps would strip oils from the skin too much, I would think. I suspect Earth Friendly Products Dish Mate might also work in the bath... precisely b/c they don't work all that much better than Biokleen in the dishpan (in fact, I wish I had thought of that while I was struggling to use the Earth Friendly pear dish mate up... it would have made a good smelling bath).

So generally, I wouldn't recommend it.... But some of the weaker natural products might be gentle enough. And giving it a try certainly doesn't make you a bad mom!

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 02-18-2013 at 05:39 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is the aforementioned dish soap that actually does make a pretty good bubble bath for the money (5.35 for 32 oz): http://www.vitacost.com/biokleen-han...iquid-32-fl-oz

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
Biokleen makes a dish soap that doubles as a bubble bath, but the fact is that it is a TERRIBLE dish soap that does not cut grease in the slightest (makes for a fairly cheap bubble bath though). Most dish soaps would strip oils from the skin too much, I would think. I suspect Earth Friendly Products Dish Mate might also work in the bath... precisely b/c they don't work all that much better than Biokleen in the dishpan (in fact, I wish I had thought of that while I was struggling to use the Earth Friendly pear dish mate up... it would have made a good smelling bath).

So generally, I wouldn't recommend it.... But some of the weaker natural products might be gentle enough. And giving it a try certainly doesn't make you a bad mom!
I think I read once about someone using Biokleen dish soap for bubble bath. I'm going to check Amazon to see how different the ingredients are from seventh generation. I already use Biokleen for my laundry soap, love their stuff.

I would definitely not use dawn or any dish soap like that in the tub.. I figured seventh generation would be better since its natural/biodegradable.

I'll be sure to put lots of Shea butter on the little man tonight in case it dried out his skin!

Last edited by unfadingcolors; 02-18-2013 at 05:45 PM.
unfadingcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb162 View Post
We also used dawn a couple times but it was very drying to DS's skin.

$9 would be a lot considering how much we go through here!
I know, it's way too much but I've been spending it because I don't want to use the bubble bath full of ??? on the ingredient list

And ds loves bubble baths..
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
Nope, not a bad mom. But I wouldn't do it too often. My friend used to have yeast infections and other problems down there as a kid, and only as an adult did she suspect it was due to her family's liberal use of dish soap in the bath. She tried it a couple times to see if it was that and it was.
I can see that being a problem! Especially with the not so natural dish soaps.
We haven't had to deal with any yeast infections yet and ds will be 3 in April. I have always used natural soap on him