Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #231
photocat
Registered Users

Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsmom View Post
I swear I am going broke eating this way! How are others dealing with it? We have spent over $200 this week on food and are now running out of stuff. I am in a high COL area but geez. How much does your family spend per week?
Haha, going broke here too. Nah, not really but holy cow, I spend probably at least $250 a week on food, between the farmer's market, free range butcher, local fruit/veg store, and two different supermarket's for specific items. Then I buy bulk nuts and coconut oil over the internet periodically.

Very high COL here too. Dh has not complained about the $$ I spend on food...it all goes on the credit card so he sees all the bills....so I just keep going with it.

I try and keep costs lower in other areas.

Advertisement

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #232
photocat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama07 View Post
Im planning on smoothies for breakfast is there a paleo Type protein powder i can put in the smoothies?
If you have a good source of free range eggs, I would use an egg yolk in your smoothie. I do this for both my kids and myself. And/or if you have a super good blender, grind up a handful of almonds before you add the rest of your ingredients.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #233
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We spend around $750/m on food, but we don't eat free-range and grass fed all of the time. We did it last summer for even less.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #234
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We dont do organic, grass fed or free range, I i live in a relatively low COL area food wise. We spend $400 a month right now.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #235
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

we spend alot on food. my husband went paleo with me Jan. 1st... he did a whole 30 and never looked back because of all the health improvements he had... I follow the autoimmune protocol, but he and my 3 1/2 year old are paleo. DD will have gluten free grains and raw cheese in moderation. This past grocery trip was around $250. We usually range from $175 - $250 per week depending on what's needed and if I buy multi packs of anything. We try to buy organic/grass fed whenever possible.
maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #236
photocat
Registered Users

Had this chocolate almond green smoothie for breakfast today, it was really, really, really good. I added an egg yolk and left out the seeds and totally forgot the avocado, but it's basically the same result I think.

That site has a lot of smoothie, green smoothie and 'juice' recipes made in the thermomix. I think a lot are dairy free and sugar free.
A thermomix is a super high powered machine that also operates well as a blender, so it grinds up the nuts, seeds and greens easily. But with a high powered blender you should get a similar result, or maybe use almond meal instead of whole almonds. And it doesn't really juice, it incorporates all the skins and pulp etc.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #237
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Doing ok here. Was 100% paleo about 3 days this past week even though we were all sick. 100% paleo tomorrow too.

I found a source of pastured eggs for $2\dozen! One of my moms clients keeps chickens, and was asking her what she should do with the excess...my mom quickly jumped on that for me! I should be able to get 2 doz a week, depending on how productive the chickens are. I got my 1st 2 dozen a few days ago, and of the 8 we have eaten, 5 were twins!

My youngest got tested for food allergies on Thursday, we should have her results by Wednesday. I suspect wheat, but hopefully I'm wrong. It wouldn't be a huge daily diet change for us, but she hates every gluten free treat I have ever tried to feed her (can't blame her...most of it is nasty) and I want her to be able to enjoy the occasional treat. I guess we just wait and see.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #238
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
Doing ok here. Was 100% paleo about 3 days this past week even though we were all sick. 100% paleo tomorrow too.

I found a source of pastured eggs for $2\dozen! One of my moms clients keeps chickens, and was asking her what she should do with the excess...my mom quickly jumped on that for me! I should be able to get 2 doz a week, depending on how productive the chickens are. I got my 1st 2 dozen a few days ago, and of the 8 we have eaten, 5 were twins!

My youngest got tested for food allergies on Thursday, we should have her results by Wednesday. I suspect wheat, but hopefully I'm wrong. It wouldn't be a huge daily diet change for us, but she hates every gluten free treat I have ever tried to feed her (can't blame her...most of it is nasty) and I want her to be able to enjoy the occasional treat. I guess we just wait and see.
Oh WOW! I hope we can find such a great deal on pastured eggs. My husband was actually talking about getting our own chickens, but we aren't allowed.

Sorry your family was sick!

For gluten free, I don't usually bother with gluten free stuff, I just experiment with trying to prepare fruits & veggies etc. in different tasty ways. My 4 yr old will eat almost anything and usually loves it but my 3 yr old is more of a challenge.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #239
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am so, so, so far off the wagon. I didn't mention it here, but my dad was diagnosed with super aggressive cancer about two weeks ago, we won't know prognosis until next week at the soonest, but it doesn't look good at all. They think it has spread to his bones and/or lymphatic system. We went to CA for a visit last week and ate almost nothing but fast food and home cooked junk food. There were a lot of donuts in there too .

I am still having problems eating meat, but I am totally over junk food now, so hopefully I can get back on the tons of veggies and eggs bandwagon ASAP. I didn't even eat on the way home yesterday (7hrs) because I couldn't stomach the thought of eating at a restaurant again LOL

Tonight for dinner is sausage, cabbage and red potatoes-- assuming DH didn't eat the cabbage while I was gone Otherwise, it will be sausage and something else vegetable-like.

Last edited by AmberP; 03-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
AmberP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #240
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Im managing 100 percent for breakfasts, 75 for lunch, and maybe 50 percent for Dinner, snacks are 80 percent or so paelo.
Between work, dance, and having to use the bus its so hard :/

I also find us way short on calories with 100 percent paleo.