Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hypnobirthing question: when to go to the hospital when in labor?

With our first, we stayed away from the hospital until my contractions were the recommended length apart that hypnobirthing suggested. I think it was 2-3 mintutes apart but I can't remember. Maybe 5 minutes apart?? Does anyone know the length of time that's suggested? It worked well for us and I think we were at the hospital only 4 or 5 hours before he was born so I'm hoping to shoot for the same length between contractions again.

Advertisement

Last edited by lovewool; 01-01-2013 at 09:54 PM.
lovewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hypnobirthing question: when to go to the hospital when in labor?

This will be my 3rd birth, 2nd hospital and I'll have to leave home as soon as contractions start. My last birth (homebirth) I was at 5 cms the day before going into labor and it went pretty fast (from 1st set of uncomfortable contractions to baby being born was less than 4 hours... my midwives were only at my home for 47 mins before baby was born and when they arrived I was already at 9-10).

I don't even remember counting contractions/duration after I had them that first hour (I think I only timed for 30 mins too) and I think they were 7-8 mins apart then when I first called the midwives and they waited another hour before leaving to come to my house, and took another hour to get to my home.

This time since I'll have a photographer that's a little over an hour away and my doula is the same distance as me I won't be hanging out at home too long (just in case it goes faster than birth #2 ).

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would skip the whole "guidelines" thing and go when you feel it is time. My midwife's guidelines are something like 5 minutes apart for an hour, but she told me not to wait that long, or she won't make it here in time LOL.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I have a feeling this labor is going to be fast! I have had on and off contractions for days now. So maybe we won't wait so long this time around!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
alichae1
Registered Users

I say wait as long as possible as long as you're not too far. You avoid more intervention that way and can just try to relax at home. And have fun! Congrats!
alichae1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alichae1 View Post
I say wait as long as possible as long as you're not too far. You avoid more intervention that way and can just try to relax at home. And have fun! Congrats!
I agree! I would like to stay away as long as possible. I have been trying to google what was suggested when we took the hypnobirthing class before I had my first but haven't had much luck. (I have dial up right now so I give up pretty quickly due to the slowness... ) We're about 40 mins away so it is a little tricky. My first was a natural water birth at the same hospital and I'm hoping to do the same again. It was a perfect experience!

Something tells me though that this labor is going to be much faster! My first labor was 18 hours but I never felt a single contraction or anything that made me think I was going into labor with him until I woke up and realized I was in labor. This one though I've been so crampy more and more each day. I haven't been checked at all for dilation because I like to avoid that at all costs!! My mom's second labor was only 6 hours when her first was 12 so I'm wondering if I'll do the same... yep I'm rambling here and really should be in bed!

Last edited by lovewool; 01-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.
lovewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewool View Post
I agree! I would like to stay away as long as possible. I have been trying to google what was suggested when we took the hypnobirthing class before I had my first but haven't had much luck. (I have dial up right now so I give up pretty quickly due to the slowness... ) We're about 40 mins away so it is a little tricky. My first was a natural water birth at the same hospital and I'm hoping to do the same again. It was a perfect experience!

Something tells me though that this labor is going to be much faster! My first labor was 18 hours but I never felt a single contraction or anything that made me think I was going into labor with him until I woke up and realized I was in labor. This one though I've been so crampy more and more each day. I haven't been checked at all for dilation because I like to avoid that at all costs!! My mom's second labor was only 6 hours when her first was 12 so I'm wondering if I'll do the same... yep I'm rambling here and really should be in bed!
Yay, getting close! Glad to hear they do water births at the hospital Just bring some towels with you in case baby makes an appearance on the way.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
Yay, getting close! Glad to hear they do water births at the hospital Just bring some towels with you in case baby makes an appearance on the way.
Still no baby! I let them check me today and baby is still way back. I anticipated going early or at least around my due date... 5 days late at this point. Yes! I know of two places where they have water birth option at the hospital. In Rockport and Ellsworth. I'd guess in Portland, too? I'll be hopefully waterbirthing it any time now! When in Feb are you due again?