Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

35 weekers NICU time??

Slightly freaking out right now! Last week at the doc (33 weeks, 5 days) I measured 37 weeks. After a growth scan, they said he weighed 5 lb 1 oz which was perfectly average. Today, (34 weeks, 5 days) I measured 43 WEEKS!! They didn't do another growth scan, but holy crap!! I know the growth scans are totally inaccurate, so I'm probably looking at a big-ish baby, which is fine with me. What I'm freaking out about is that my body is apparently deciding to evict him, regular contrax (prodromal?) they don't get worse, just very consistent. Doc would like me to "make it another week". He wouldn't give me steriod shots for his lungs. Just told me to slow down, take it easy, and be ready to have a baby. Doc said there was about a 10% chance if born now that he would need NICU time, and if I can make it to 36 weeks, that drops to around 3%, and at 37 weeks it's almost unheard of. My daughter was born RIGHT at 36 weeks, 6 lb 3 oz, and had to have 2 doses of surfactant and 10 days in the NICU for respiratory distress and boys' lungs don't normally do as well as girls', (wimpy white boy syndrome? Lol) so I'm very skeptical about his numbers!! She nursed like a champ as soon as she was off the vent, her lungs were her ONLY problem. Anyone have 35 weekers that were boys? I want to hear stories!!

Advertisement

Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 35 weekers NICU time??

My first boy was born at 34.5 weeks (PROM), weighed 6-2 and did not go to the NICU at all. We were absolutely sure about the dates because I had had a miscarriage right before he was conceived. My sister had a boy at 35 weeks in July (emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia), he was 5 lbs, and spent 2 or 3 weeks in NICU. My cousin had a boy at 35 weeks (emergency C-section...not sure why) and he was in NICU for 48 hours. Try to relax and take care of yourself...good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was born at 35w 4d. 6lbs 3oz and no NICU stay. He did have a few eating issues and jaundice really bad but was able to stay home on the bili blanket.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hugs momma - good luck! I don't have any advice or baby boys, but will keep you in our prayers...
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My youngest son was born 34w 6d 4lbs 5oz and had only feeding problems he spent 2 weeks in the NICU learning to eat.
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest son was 35w exactly and 6 pounds exactly. Relax. He had zero NICU time, my water broke with no contractions and when I got to the hossy I was 4cm. He had no breathing issues at all, just jaundice - my milk didn't come in on its own, and he was hospitalized twice for the jaundice, overnight stays both times and billi blanket at home in between. If I hadn't had the milk supply issue, I truly believe he would never have had to be hospitalized. Just make sure that they do NOT clamp his cord right away - he will need that extra oxygen-rich blood, so wait until it stops pulsing to clamp it.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

My 36 week baby who had quit growing (no idea when, I had 14 ultra sounds and no one ever realized until the day before 36 weeks) spent 3 weeks nicu, only for size, apnea and needing a feeding tube. However, he was only 3 pounds (they told me he was 5 pounds according to ultra sound, way off!). Anyways, not much point in worrying at all. It is all out of your hands and you will know what to do when the time comes. Hugs!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
apurkeyp
Registered Users

My Mood:
My son was born one month ago at exactly 35 weeks. My dates were exact. He was 7lbs 5oz and 20.5 inches long. He spent 9 days in the NICU, 4 of them on a vent for respiratory distress. He came out with beautiful Apgars and he was so big that they thought he wouldn't even have to go! He tuckered out pretty quickly though and we ended up with the NICU stay.

Good luck and I hope he stays in!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could have written this myself. I am measuring big...37 at 34 weeks, 40 now at 35 weeks.....I have NEVER measured this big in 8 pregnancies...even at 40 week. I have had prodromal labor for the last 3 days, last night the contractions were intense ehough to wake me up at night. My little guy was at 5 lbs at 31 weeks, I have another growth on Monday....I really not sure how much longer my body will hold out. My belly button popped....for the first time since baby #2, surely that means I'm done LOL! Really though, I don't want a little guy in the NICU

Otherwise, I have had a 34 week 5 day babywho weighed 4 lb 8 oz...did great with no oxygen even needed, no hospital stay

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS2 was 35 weeks. He had to stay in the NICU for 9 days, only for breathing issues. He had wonderful APGAR's. He was 6lbs 8 ozs, and honestly they never expected him to go but he ended up having to go to the nearly hossy with a NICU (1 hour away) by sqaud. (yes whimpy whiteboy syndrome)