Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Question Storing/freezing eggs for a shortage?

So while I was mucking the coop out today, and pondering the fickleness of my girl's laying whims I started thinking about what I might do if they suddenly crossed their little drumsticks and refused to lay altogether. Such is likely to happen at least for a couple months next winter when they will go through their first true moult. I saw on an episode of preppers (Go ahead and snicker but my dh has a sick fascination with this show and I confess I watch only because I can't seem to draw my eyes from the train wreck Every. Time.) that a lady was oiling eggs to preserve them and another man was packing his in a crate with something sprinkled on to preserve it but I have forgotten what because I immediately dismissed it. But after a couple days this past week collecting a miserable 4-5 eggs from our 14 hens, I realized I may very well find myself either buying eggs next winter (ridiculous!) or figuring out some way of preserving eggs to make it thru the shortage. Has anyone done this that could recommend a good way to refrigerator store with the least amount of staleness or alternately, freezing them? Which did you prefer?

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Storing/freezing eggs for a shortage?

I have done both. Taken my eggs (fresh ) rubbed i think mineral oil over them (not 100% on that its been YEARS but I can find out for sure) and put them in the fridge. They lasted 6 months that way and still tasted fresh.

I currently take mine, put them in an ice cub tray, and freeze them. GREAT for cooking and scrambled eggs =) Those are store bought though as I currently do not have chickens.

The first way (in the fridge) is kind of frustrating. if one went back OMG THEY STUNK! but, I had "Fresh" eggs for cooking.

The second way was frustrating because sometimes my cakes don't turn out just right and I think its because of the eggs.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
mommyluvsfluff
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wink Re: Storing/freezing eggs for a shortage?

Yep ive coated them in mineral oil and stored in the fridge. used them 6 months later and tasted fine to me
mommyluvsfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
I have done both. Taken my eggs (fresh ) rubbed i think mineral oil over them (not 100% on that its been YEARS but I can find out for sure) and put them in the fridge. They lasted 6 months that way and still tasted fresh.

I currently take mine, put them in an ice cub tray, and freeze them. GREAT for cooking and scrambled eggs =) Those are store bought though as I currently do not have chickens.

The first way (in the fridge) is kind of frustrating. if one went back OMG THEY STUNK! but, I had "Fresh" eggs for cooking.

The second way was frustrating because sometimes my cakes don't turn out just right and I think its because of the eggs.
I just read on another site that the oil prevents the whites from fluffing/reacting properly so there's that mystery solved! I think I may do a month's worth in the fridge and another month's worth in the freezer. I'd rather eat our home grown "old" eggs than grocery store ANY day of the week but I still don't want SUPER old fridge eggs. hmmmm.....
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

If you are only looking at a 2 month dry period (which is super small here!) then I would not do anything next time. Do you have enough eggs to save up next year? They can last months without refrigeration even.

We just got 2 dozen eggs from our Amish neighbors - they have neither a refrigerator nor laying eggs as it is almost zero here!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

I slow down our usage to have a few more handy & keep ours in our basement in an unheated room. Right now we are averaging about 2-3 eggs a day (sometimes only 1 egg!!) w/8 hens, so we are using 1 doz for Sunday breakfast & another dozen during the week for baking each week... that is my minimum usage and I have not been baking as much for the same reason... I do NOT want to buy store eggs & the locals all have the same egg shortage.

I haven't made quiche, egg salad, etc. all because of the egg "shortage." I can't wait for more eggs. DH says it is normal because our hens will be 2 in April... he says they only lay for 2 years... I say it is because of winter. We do have a light, for light not for heat. I debated that, but agreed when we were getting no eggs... I figure I'd be kicking myself if a fox nabbed them all (we've had neighbors & friends who lost their entire flocks to foxes... & we had a fix run-in already, but amazingly our hens all escaped & 1 survived being nabbed) if I decided against a light to keep them laying longer by not using a light. We have a variety of breeds too, which is why I am pretty sure it is the heat, or lack thereof. Some of ours just came out of a molt & we have another molting now.... poor thing just started! I read about feeding them warm oatmeal for bfast during a winter molt... I have no qualms about doing that, BUT we are gluten free & it would cost a fortune to feed them GF oats... if I use the cheap oats for them then it would contaminate my whole kitchen w/gluten, which would cause G reactions... just the dust from the oats that gets into the air can cause a reaction, not to mention having to clean a pot, which would then contaminate the sink, scrubber, etc. .
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's interesting! right now I'm getting 0- 2 eggs a day from 7hens, it's single digits in three day right now. we do have lights in the coop but only turn them on when we are in there, originally it was on a timer but DH rewired it so the outside light comes on at certain times.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I freeze eggs when I can get a large quantity cheap. I just crack them into a 4 cup measuring cup, scramble them up slightly, then pour 1/4 Cup (=1 egg) into muffin tins, freeze, then pop them out and put them in a gallon size ziplock freezer bag with the date on it. I use these for baking but have also read you can use them for scrambled eggs as well. For baking I get them out early and let them thaw at room temp for a couple of hours.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom
I freeze eggs when I can get a large quantity cheap. I just crack them into a 4 cup measuring cup, scramble them up slightly, then pour 1/4 Cup (=1 egg) into muffin tins, freeze, then pop them out and put them in a gallon size ziplock freezer bag with the date on it. I use these for baking but have also read you can use them for scrambled eggs as well. For baking I get them out early and let them thaw at room temp for a couple of hours.
I did not know you could do that!!! Wish I did when hubby came home with 4 flats of eggs from work (4x24 eggs). We just divied them up amongst people we knew.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
lingon
Registered Users
seller

Mother earth news did an experiment about storing eggs. the most important was not to wash the bloom off.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx#axzz2JbC6mtYh
lingon is offline   Reply With Quote