Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Red face *UPDATE* I think I need a little support/ encouragement here????

*Update*
Well I picked up the boys today. We decided to put the three car seats in our truck. I am not going to even try to make it work in the car. I ended up getting a Britax Frontier. We have a Britax Pavilion and a Britax Boulvard CS back there too. It is tight and hard to get the middle one in but it works. They are going to do transport for one of the days so I only have to do two days a week. The boys are really sweet although sharing a bedroom seems to be somewhat of a disaster. I dont have a choice as we have a two bedroom house but they are supposed to be taking a nap and it is just a lot of signing and talking. How do you get such LO's to sleep int he same room?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I just agreed to take two in. I was okay with it and DH agreed. They are four and 20 months. They have visitation three times a week.

The thing is DH sounded okay about it and he still is but than after we agreed he started saying "well how are you going to get three kids in the car and deal with the logistics three times a week", "Do you think you can handle them all with me working more hours", etc. I think he is being realistic not trying to worry me but regardless now I am worried.

Tell me I am not nuts and I can do this with three very young kids because now I am scared!

(So much for not doing the foster care side huh)

Advertisement

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 01-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

Re: I think I need a little support/ encouragement here????

What kind of car do you have? How old is the 3rd child?
fostermommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermommyJ View Post
What kind of car do you have? How old is the 3rd child?
We have a crew cab sierra truck that is our main vehicle but for daytime I have been using my moms sporty Cadillac. (I don't know the model) It is seriously lacking in space in the back seat. I have a older Britax Boulevard CS and a Britax Pavilion G3. I will need to get a third seat. I am not sure I can fit three car seats in. This may be a reason I can't do it that I had not considered.

Foster Kids are:
1.) 4 years
2.) 20 months

My son is 2.5 and still RF.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

Well, if you are willing to pay over $200 for 3 new seats, you could get the diono seats( formerly known as sunshine kids). They are the narrowest but all 3 kids would have to be in a 5 point harness which could be an issue if the 4 yr old is big. You might be able to do a bubblebum booster for the 4 yr old is hrs too big for the diono. Or, if the car has airbags that you can turn off, you could put the 4 yr old up front. I know it's not the safest, but no different than putting them in the cad of a truck.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

When I said over $200, I meant over $200 each. I don't think I can do it with the britax seats. I've had up to 5 kids, so I've dealt with this and done a lot of research
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller

Dont stress over the seats. We have 4 littles: 3.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5 and we survive. When we got the two fosters we had a car. Fortunately, we now have a van. Its crazy but fun. Tomorrow we are taking them all snow skiing. Now that is crazy!
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I cant do $600 in car seats right now :/
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

When we first had 3, we had a Subaru and we used 2 cheap seats that we got from dss and a low back booster. The carseat just happened to work next to the booster because it had a big gap behind it that allowed us to get our hand in in order to buckle the child in the booster. You would just have to go to the store and look for a cheap one with a gap though. I'm pretty sure the britax doesn't have a gap. Ours came with the child, but it was made by Cosco and I later saw it at Walmart for like $39.
While they actually did fit ( just barely), the situation was not ideal and we bought a van 3 months after getting the 3rd child.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would put one in the front seat. A rear facer has the most protection and so would be the recommended one to go there unless the airbag can't be turned off. Our vehicle manual states that a forward facing car seat can go in the front seat as long as it's a certain distance back from the dash/airbag. It was something like 20". I put the seat all the way back and measured it and it was way over that so I felt safe that the airbag wouldn't even hit a child there if it deployed. I could be wrong on that, but that's how I understood it at the time when I had this problem.

And I also have to say that for all the hype about radians fitting three across - I have 3 radians and they do not fit three across in the back row. Some vehicles just don't work. Dh has a tiny '91 subaru sedan with a contoured back seat which makes 3 across just a pain the rear no matter what. I had a rental SUV and I could fit 3 across in the second row but not in the 3rd row.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hey mama! Congrats on the new little ones. As far as caring for all of them, those are pretty good ages!! You'll get through it just fine!! I'm sure your little one will enjoy having playmates too. When it comes to carseats my suggestion is to go out and purchase 3 Cosco seats. 2 sceneras and their high back harnessed booster. They're only around $40 each and they are extremely narrow. They're about the same as a radian/Diono I think. I have a bunch of seats and the radians and sceneras are my favorites when it comes to squeezing kiddos in. It's a lot easier to fit seats into a little car when you can sort of "stagger" them rfing and ffing. Post back here or pm me if you need any help!