Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Early this winter we had to take ds to the emergency room with croup. Since then he has had 2 colds and each one has had croupy yucky cough (mainly at night) and wheezing when he's active.

Both times since I have taken him to his ped and there's nothing they can do. He sleeps in a room with a sunheat heater and a cold mist humidifier.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Advertisement

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Last edited by Holly dolly; 01-06-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Docs Wife
Registered Users
Formerly: swags
seller

My Mood:
When my YDS had croup both the RN in the ER and his Pedi both said cold air and to take him out side when he started coughing. If it wasn't could outside to open the fridge or freezer and Lethem breath the could air. It seemed to help him some.
Docs Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Croupy cough and wheezing

A steam shower, followed directly by sticking his head in the freezer. Yes, I am serious.

Motrin will take down the swelling. Let him sleep sitting up a bit, not laying flat on his back. Vicks on his feet, with socks on, will help with the coughing. Ice cold water to drink or popsicles will help with the pain associated with the cough. Cup your hand and pat him in the middle of his back - hard - that will help to break all of that stuff up. Do it for about 10 minutes while he's in the steam shower. The cough should be productive fairly quickly.

Dealt with three kids, all with croup, one with asthma for 6 years. My oldest (now 11), used to get croup every 2-3 months from the time he was 1.5, until he was 8. After trips to the ER, a steroid shot, breathing treatment, etc. every few months, I decided to start taking care of it at home. He hasn't been to the ER for croup in over 2 years.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you!!! He HATES showers so it's almost counter-productive because he screams through the entire thing. :| I will do the Vicks tonight and Motrin. Thank you!!!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
Thank you!!! He HATES showers so it's almost counter-productive because he screams through the entire thing. :| I will do the Vicks tonight and Motrin. Thank you!!!
You don't actually put him in it. My youngest hates them, too. What I usually do is hold them, with the shower curtain open, with JUST the hot water on. Do not get near the water, it will burn you. Do not turn on ANY cold water. Hold him close to the shower so that he can breathe in the steam that's there.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash

You don't actually put him in it. My youngest hates them, too. What I usually do is hold them, with the shower curtain open, with JUST the hot water on. Do not get near the water, it will burn you. Do not turn on ANY cold water. Hold him close to the shower so that he can breathe in the steam that's there.
Ahhhhhhh...gotcha!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Let us know how he's doing!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you!!! He's FINALLY sleeping. Poor kiddo is normally a fantastic sleeper but he was up 5 times last night and took over 2 hours to fall asleep for his nap. I'm debating on keeping him home one more day tomorrow.

His poor nose is just terribly stuffy. And he sucks his thumb which is not a good combo.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
emmehkay
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the hot steam in the bathroom then immediately going outside to cold air or head in freezer. We deal with croup a lot. My kids get it from sudden weather changes. We know it's going to happen, so we up saline nose sprays and allergy meds. If it is still a mild croup, benedryl can help some (stops the nose), but we have prednisolone (prescription) on hand to give when we hear it coming. Croup is such a scary sounding thing. I hate it. But there really isn't anything that can be done unless it is really bad and the airway is blocked. We have a nebulizer and albuterol, but those don't work for my kids. They need racine epinephrine when it's really bad, which doesn't happen very often. Sorry you're having to deal with this. Croup is one of my least favorite things we have to deal with.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I hate croup. It sounds SO terrible!! When he wakes up in the night he is gasping for breath. Once I sit him upright and calm him down he usually starts breathing better. Hopefully tonight is better... Mommy needs some sleep too.