Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

beco or ergo and why?

pretty much what the title says. i have a moby wrap for when she is tiny and i have a baby hawk too. i've never used a baby hawk but i used a moby with my son when he was a baby. i am also wanting to get either a beco or and ergo, will most likely end up with both. i just wanted some comparisons and actual customer reviews. thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Last edited by sterlids; 01-06-2013 at 04:46 PM.
sterlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
samham
Registered Users
seller

I haven't tried ergo but I love my Beco. Pretty sure I have a butterfly 2. I love that it adjusts so many lengths. I am 5'3, I like baby really high on my back and I am able to do that with this carrier rather than have baby hanging down my butt and straining my back. It is nice and comfy, never hurt my back or shoulders and was super easy for me to load and unload DS. I used it probably 6 months to 2 years and probably would still if I was still walking dogs a few times a day.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
earthmama7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: beco or ergo and why?

I like that with the Beco you can put them from front to back easily as they are strapped into the carrier. Down side, you can't nurse in it very easily. The Ergo works better for that IMO. If you aren't going to nurse in it then I think Beco is slightly more comfortable, but then Ergo has the pocket which is nice for a diaper or your wallet and phone. (I guess that is why I own both because I like different features in each) So it's up to you, what are you going to use it most for?
Ergo Pros:
-Easier to put on and off
-you can nurse in it
-comfortable
-available in organic
-more guy friendly (only one my husband will wear)
-Has a pocket
-Can use all the way to toddler

Ergo Cons:
-Takes practice switching and putting baby on back

Beco Pros:
-Slightly more comfortable
-Feels like baby fits a little more secure to me
-Easy back to front or switching to another person
-Feminine

Beco Cons:
-Nursing is impossible for me (Not sure about others but the inside straps go across the chest)
-Not guy friendly
-Doesn't fit for as long

That's what i think anyway
Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

PP did a great job with pros and cons of the Ergo. We own two, one for me to wear and one for the hubby. Here are our added thoughts,
I picked the Ergo because I have a very long waist and a bad back, it was the only carrier that fit me comfortably. My hubby picked it because it is comfortable and he can wear the baby on his back.
Here is what I like about it,
- pocket in the front fits my wallet and keys for quick trips or hikes
- baby hood covers a sleeping baby
- easy on, easy off
- most of the weight sits on your hips saving your back
- durable and machine washable
- great resale value
- great customer service
*Never owned a Beco so I cannot compare!*
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

another vote for ergo... but haven't tried the Beco

all 3 of my kiddos have loved the ergo...my youngest took naps in it for 7 months until i finally got her sleeping in a crib!

very durable and gives good support.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I prefer Beco butterfly 2 because I have narrow shoulders (and also a very short torso, but I don't know that it was a factor). I feel more secure with it, especially with back carries. It has the fabric between mom and baby, but also felt more heavy-duty/secure to me.

I felt like the Boba was a good in-between carrier. It fit my frame better than the Ergo, but not as well a the Beco. I bought it for the higher shell for my toddler, but gravitated to the Beco still.

My bestie has a much broader build and prefers the Ergo. I will say that the fabric was softer on her ergo, and it had a little slit in it that made it seem a little more breathable. I think it was significantly cheaper, as well.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
hcokasil
Registered Users
seller
seller

If possible, I think you should try them both out, because different bodies are going to feel best in different carriers. . I had a becco butterfly 2 at first and I loved it in theory, but it just wasn't very comfortable for me, so I swapped it for the ergo, which has been great. I do especially love the pocket on the ergo!

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

yeah i went ahead and bought a bb2 on here and i have a couple friends who have ergos so i'm sure i'll be able to try those out as well. i definitely want the best one for my body shape.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My sister gave me her Ergo and I didn't like it at all. I sold it and bought a MT- Olives and Applesauce for when DS was little. Then when he was 1 I bought a Beco from Frog Mama and I love it. The ergo always felt like it was slipping down my shoulders but the beco is secure and super adjustible. Plus Beco has super fun designs~ I have orange with scooters and DH will totally wear it.

Now for this LO I bought a Girasol- my first wrap and I am super excited. I was going to buy a moby but heard they didn't last long and I like a lot of support. We will see.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

mobys are great for the tiny newborn stage! i *think* most babies grow out of them by 2 or 3 months. not 100% though since my son will be 6 next month, lol.