Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Anyone drive a Chevy Tahoe?

My parents are helping us get a new vehicle now that #3 is coming along. One option is to sell us their Tahoe and buy my mom this new truck she wants. I REALLY wanted an Odyssey, but this will work for now, and we will end up getting a good deal on it. Plus we know the condition and such and don't have to worry about getting something that has issues that aren't mentioned up front.

So Im wondering.... all you Tahoe drivers.... what do you think of it? Especially if you have little ones (mine are soon to be 6, 4 and newborn). I know how it drives and such... but do you consider it easy to handle/manuever/etc with small kids? How about the back seats, are they safe for small kids? DS is in a booster and DD will be in a booster soon (soon enough that Im thinking about this anyway). I forget but does the back row have head supports? Enough for small children?

Other than that Im not really sure what Im looking for in advice... but I haven't driven much over the last 10 years and I really wanted something on the smaller side but with lots of seating, easy to run around in with kids and SAFE.
Not really going to get the "small" I wanted with this but if I get the other two I can deal with the size

tia!

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Bear Family
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone drive a Chevy Tahoe?

I drive a 2002 Tahoe and my sister has an Odyssey, I have driven hers on occasion.

I love my tahoe, it was my number 1 pic. We have had issues with the fuel pump though, but it seems to be an issue with a lot of 2002-07 models (I think those are the years). And it is fixed now.

We have 2 kids a 3yo and 9yo. I really like the spacing between the kids in the tahoe, in my sisters van they seem scrunched in there. The Tahoe seems bigger and more roomy to me, but the van has a lot more storage space. I have 3rd row seating in mine but hardly ever use it since it makes the trunk space smaller. When I have had people riding with me to warrant the 3rd row seats the adults who have sat back there have said there is enough room and it is comfortable. The only seats I have but back there are a booster seat, the 3rd row doesnt have latch, at least not on my model. When the 3rd row is up and in use, I can still fit a full sized Chicco stroller back there on it's side, but that is it, unless I stack stuff on top of it.

You didnt say if the one you are getting has the 3rd row, but I will assume it does. The only thing I might see an issue for you is getting the child who is sitting in the back, in the back. On my model, the back seat (the first one) is a split seat to allow access to the 3rd row. The seat that you're supposed to use to get back there is behind the passenger seat, which is where I put the 3yo car seat. Now you could still get in 3rd row by using the driver side passenger door, but the way that seat folds down is a little different since you're supposed to use the passenger side. For you though, I am assuming that you will have a car seat there too though so for ease of access you would need to have one seat in the middle, or the child sitting in back, could go thru the hatch door to the trunk.

As far as ease and safety between the 2. I feel safer in the Tahoe, I like being up higher, in the van I feel like I am in a small car close to the ground. Although the van has a few perks, like the push button doors, and the captains seats in the first row of seats which makes getting to the 3rd row a breeze. I think toting my kids around in the tahoe is easier, maybe because I am used to it, I don't know. I also like that the heat/ac are separate than the driver in the tahoe. Also, cup holders and compartments are more easily accessible in the tahoe than in the van.

Last edited by Bear Family; 01-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Bear Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would love to have a newer tahoe, but for now we have a T&C. The things that have stopped us from taking that jump is mainly cost. The gas is more and so is the insurance. So for now I stay with my van. I do agree that it does look like the seats offer more room then a van.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My parents drive a tahoe. It's a gas hog, but probably not moreso than any other SUV on the market. I find that it handles similarly to my Jeep, as in, it doesn't FEEL huge even though it is. It's spacious. She can load all 5 of her grandkids in it, but it takes awhile with all those car seats. Access to the 3rd row is a pain unless you plan to leave part of the middle row down for access. Either way you have to climb in to put kids in the back row. That said, I would love to have one, just for the spaciousness alone. Oh, I should also mention that there is almost zero cargo room if you use the 3rd row.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Yay thanks for the info!!! It does have 3rd row, which I'd like to put both my older kids back there. Safety ratings show the 2nd row passenger side as safer than behind the driver (I'm assuming it's probably the same for the Tahoe as minivans) so I was planning on putting the baby there. I guess it'll be a pain in the butt the get the kids back there and fasten dds caraway straps.

That's great a stroller will fit back there though! Other things I can put on the floor in the 2nd row, or the passenger seat when it's just me and the kids.

I'm definitely not thrilled about the gas and I figured insurance would be higher.... It might be such a good deal though they dh just doesn't want to pass it up... It is pretty new with really low miles. There's no way we could afford an odyssey of the same year with these miles..

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote