Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Drive by a highschool and throw them in the bushes. LOL. Just kidding!!

That's a pretty icky brand. Cheap/ old school. I'd sell on CL for $20.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #32
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: cigarettes

I would try to bring them back to Walmart for a gift card. Often they will take things back like that. You never know.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
MommaMal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I work at a homeless resource shelter and we haves pack of cigarettes to coerce clients to seek services. We are a harm reduction program so even though it may not be the best option it does get a lot of people to come in off the street

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."-Janis Joplin
MommaMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't buy the addict angle simply because.. i have a friend who is an acoholic, if I find liquor and my options are give it to my alcoholic friend or throw it out? THROW IT OUT. I used to have a friend who was addicted to heroin.. if I come across some should I have given it to him?

Do what you want, though be mindful of the legalities involved.

Personally I wouldn't feel right donating them and would throw them away.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #35
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

Last edited by squiddles; 01-23-2013 at 04:05 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I would drive by a local bar in the evening time and hand them out to the drunk people bumming smokes outside.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elabela View Post
I don't buy the addict angle simply because.. i have a friend who is an acoholic, if I find liquor and my options are give it to my alcoholic friend or throw it out? THROW IT OUT. I used to have a friend who was addicted to heroin.. if I come across some should I have given it to him?

Do what you want, though be mindful of the legalities involved.

Personally I wouldn't feel right donating them and would throw them away.
My MIL just gave me a bag of coffee she got because she wont drink it. Was her reinforcing my addiction immoral? There are different levels to these examples, and while I HATE smoking, people aren't going to quit until they are ready to do it for themselves. I sure as hell am not about to give up coffee, so my MIL saved me money. I would do the same with the cigarettes. I think its even better to donate it to someone in a nursing home, on their last leg of life....let them enjoy their last few years instead of trying to prolong them while suffering from withdrawal. Homeless shelters are iffy; I don't want to get on my high horse and kick someone while their down, but they're not on their last years of life, they have a chance of getting their life back together. so supporting an expensive addiction when they have no money to continue it seems enabling to the homelessness.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #38
MommaMal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247

My MIL just gave me a bag of coffee she got because she wont drink it. Was her reinforcing my addiction immoral? There are different levels to these examples, and while I HATE smoking, people aren't going to quit until they are ready to do it for themselves. I sure as hell am not about to give up coffee, so my MIL saved me money. I would do the same with the cigarettes. I think its even better to donate it to someone in a nursing home, on their last leg of life....let them enjoy their last few years instead of trying to prolong them while suffering from withdrawal. Homeless shelters are iffy; I don't want to get on my high horse and kick someone while their down, but they're not on their last years of life, they have a chance of getting their life back together. so supporting an expensive addiction when they have no money to continue it seems enabling to the homelessness.
Not to steal the thread but the homeless have more of a stigma surrounding them and are often times looked at as less than human. The elderly are equally marginalized but they often have comforts, at least a roof and bed. The people I work with are lucky if they get to sleep on a 1/2 " mat on the floor inches away from someone else at night. If I can do something to help them get throug the day and possibly get a moment of joy than I'm all for it. We also serve coffee and food to them, should we not because they won't be able to afford it themselves? Sorry if this sounds snarky, it really isn't intended to

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."-Janis Joplin
MommaMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMal View Post
Not to steal the thread but the homeless have more of a stigma surrounding them and are often times looked at as less than human. The elderly are equally marginalized but they often have comforts, at least a roof and bed. The people I work with are lucky if they get to sleep on a 1/2 " mat on the floor inches away from someone else at night. If I can do something to help them get throug the day and possibly get a moment of joy than I'm all for it. We also serve coffee and food to them, should we not because they won't be able to afford it themselves? Sorry if this sounds snarky, it really isn't intended to
I understand. I volunteer with our homeless shelter and completely understand where you are coming from. My first time, I didn't really know what to expect, because there is such a stigma surrounding them. I was very nervous and shy and didn't know how to talk to anyone there because I just didn't know what to say. But I quickly chastised myself because they are just people, and there is no reason to tiptoe around anything, act uncomfortable, or treat them any differently. Ive met some very sweet and fun people there. However, I also come from a different angle, because the majority of what I do is helping with childcare. Our place provides about 3 hours of childcare so that the parents can shower in peace and have a little break to themselves. while I hate the attitude that comes along with denying them their moment of relaxation, or enjoyment {which is why I love helping with the kids....my volunteer time isn't really necessary like serving the food and washing the towels, but I know I would really enjoy a break if I were in their shoes. And its time for the kids to just play with toys, run around, and be a little nuts, instead of just going between serious school and boring shelters}, I still cant help but think that these beautiful, sweet kids deserve every chance to get out of homelessness, and parents having an addiction like cigarettes makes that harder. Coffee addiction is not going to cause an impulse purchase like cigarette addiction will and its also not as expensive as cigarettes. If it was just an unhealthy pleasure that didn't affect their ability to lift themselves out of homelessness, my opinion would be completely different.

Last edited by harmoni247; 01-07-2013 at 12:48 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #40
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd trash them...just because they're homeless doesn't mean they deserve to die a slow and painful death from lung cancer (emphesemia, heart disease, COPD, etc...especially since they're homeless and probably lack health care)

As for coffee, coffee actually has health benefits (proven, scientific fact)...and doesn't give you cancer...cigarettes give you cancer. People who smoke often die slow and painful deaths. I watched my friend's mom die a slow and painful death from lung cancer. Left a 14 year old daughter (and a 22 year old daughter, and 2 30-something year old daughters, plus 10 grandbabies) behind when she died. My grandma died a slow and painful death from heart disease related to her smoking...My grandpa died of a heart attack at 62, probably because he smoked. My uncle died from bladder cancer (another slow and painful death) probably related to his wife's smoking...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 01-07-2013 at 01:20 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote