Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
lilylove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I buy a breadmaker?

Any thoughts on which one is a good one? I would love to start making bread.

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
ProudCoastieWife
Registered Users
Formerly: GrimLife
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I buy a breadmaker?

Not sure about brand as I'm on vacation and can't remember the brand name, but having a bread machine is totally worth it!!!!!
ProudCoastieWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you checked into no knead bread? There are lots of resources online and books available. I have otten much better bread with that method than a bread maker. I have the book Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day and it is great.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a 2lb tall machine and I still take it out after the doigh cycle and put it in bread pans.

I saw one over Christmas that is long, so makes loaves that LOOK like bread you'd buy - my oldest is a strange bird and won't eat anything he deems to not "look right". lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
MelandMack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have one I bought at a thrift store for $10. I love to use it to mix and knead the bread, I then take the bread out and bake it in my own pans.
Fleece Diapering Items- www.wildchildforbabies.etsy.com - **Goodbye Sale**- All reminaing fleece is stocked. Use Coupon Code GOODBYE25 for 25% off orders of $15 or GOODBYE to save an extra 10% on any order.
MelandMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a bread maker, but every now and then I got a flat/dense loaf, which was frustrating because its a waste of time and ingredients. Then I tried the Artsian Bread in 5 minutes a day and it makes WONDERFUL bread, but not sandwich sized bread.

What I like best is using my kitchen aid with the dough hook (as I won't knead bread by hand) and then plop it into "normal bread" pans.

I would say if you are "on the fence", buy one at a thrift store/craigslist/garage sale and see how often you use it and whether you like it before investing in a brand new one.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Have you checked into no knead bread? There are lots of resources online and books available. I have otten much better bread with that method than a bread maker. I have the book Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day and it is great.
For a beginner or even someone with experience but no time or perhaps desire the no kneed breads are great. I have the above mentioned book and love it. I liked it so well I went back and bought 4 more to give to my bread loving friends and family. I love to use the peasant bread recipe and add a wholes clove of garlic when mixing the dough. Then when I set it to rise I brush with olive oil and sprinkle generously with Italian seasoning. I then gently pat to slightly press in the seasonings. Otherwise they really all just blow off. I have baked up the whole batch this way in one day. 2 days later my family of 5 finished the last of it.

They also have a newer book out I am dying to get my hands on. Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

I did have a bread machine. When we moved from northern Illinois to southern Illinois I gave it to a neighbor as I didn't like using it. I think I tried it once. Some people love their bread machines so it is really more personal preference.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you ever tried bread machine bread? Depending on the bread machine you end up with this weird round not so great bread. I use mine to kneed and mix the bread but not to bake it. (I got mine under $5 at a thrift store! )

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love my bread machine! I got it for Christmas and we made bread everday for a week
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

I had an expensive bread maker that made "Normal Looking Bread" and it sucked we had it for years without using it. Now i have bought 5 thrift store tall loaf bread makers all different brands and all worked great. I bought them made sure they worked well and gave them to my siblings. I still have two and use them almost daily. Sometimes you have to try different recipes till you know what you like.

Totally check your thrift stores first.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote