Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: So tired of the screaming/crying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Well that backfired. I sent him to his room and he fell asleep. Now I am trying to get him up and he's yelling again!

Ah... Someone pray for me. I do not have the patience for this today, lol.
Maybe he's tired from school? Is there a reason he can't take a little rest and then have a snack?

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizgrace07 View Post
Maybe he's tired from school? Is there a reason he can't take a little rest and then have a snack?
I am positive that he's tired from school. However, if my kids nap for even 10-15 minutes, they will NEVER go to bed. Literally, if he takes a 10-15 minute nap, he will fight sleep for hours this evening. All of them are that way. Naps are a no-no around here on school days. They MUST be in bed at 8:30, period.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Aaaaand it's happening again today. I seriously can't handle this anymore.

He's standing in the corner, crying, because he threw a fit about his pencil not having enough lead in it.

He was getting out of the car, and didn't get his backpack. I tossed it to his seat, so that he could just reach in and grab it, and didn't have to climb back in the car to get it. Well, evidently that was not okay at all. He then said, "SERIOUSLY!?" and slammed the door. I ignored it. Just... let it go.

Then, we get in here, and he wants a yoohoo. Sure... get one. Well, he dropped it, and the edge of it was NEAR the carpet. Not even on it. Well, now he thinks that it is absolutely filled with something horrific off of the carpet (uhh... I just vacuumed), so he refuses to drink it, and got mad at ME like I did something wrong. I told him to drop his attitude.

Well, instead, he chooses to slam his drink on the table, stomp off, and knock ALL of the tiny legos out, onto the floor. From there, I very calmly said, "Get up... and go to your room... now." He stomped, cried, and threw a fit, all the way there. Was in there about 7 minutes, and I let him come out. NOT EVEN 2 minutes later is when the incident with the pencil happened.

Now he's STILL standing in the corner... bawling... throwing a fit... and I have NO idea what to do. I'm tempted to just leave him there until DH gets home, and let him deal with it.

What am I going to do? Yell? Does no good. Spank? Does no good. Obviously timeout isn't doing anything.

I seriously think I might need to get the kid evaluated. Funny thing is? He's ONLY like this with me. The second daddy walks in the door, he's a perfect angel. The second daddy LEAVES, this is what I get.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
leyash
Registered Users
seller

He's sitting at the table now eating a snack. Giving us both a few minutes to calm down, and then we will revisit the homework.

This is so hard. I've got so much going on in LIFE right now, my patience is at 0, I'm frustrated, and I don't want to take it out on my kids, but good LORD this child makes it hard.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He might have too much sugar in his diet. My kids will absolutely behave that way if they've been eating sugary stuff. You mentioned danimals, pop tarts, cookies. All things with tons of sugar. When my 5 year old is acting that way, a piece of cheese or a spoonful of natural peanut butter usually sets them in a better mood. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have the same thing but I have a 6 yr old. i would not let your child talk like that to you. he is in his learning stage and right now hes disrespecting you. if mine is bad he has to write he will be nice and he sits in his room for about a half an hr each time. he will also get spankings if he doesnt stop it. he gets tv taken away, toys, etc. I have even taken away dinner. hes a very stubborn kid to me and tries to be mean when i am at my rope I yell and say, now I am VERY angry with your attitude. you go to your room and get ready for bed. more times that not, he is tired. my kids need to sleep from 8pm to 7am to be decent.

just dont give in. stay strict in same areas and give praise when good.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok I am reading more of what you wrote, he has too much sugar in diet and he just needs to stop talking to you like hes the adult. i think you let him get away with too much so you gotta get stiff on it or you will never break this. I have a friend w 3 kids and her 2 yr old tells her what to do. its awful to watch. she constantly gives in so her kids know to run her over till she caves
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
i have the same thing but I have a 6 yr old. i would not let your child talk like that to you. he is in his learning stage and right now hes disrespecting you. if mine is bad he has to write he will be nice and he sits in his room for about a half an hr each time. he will also get spankings if he doesnt stop it. he gets tv taken away, toys, etc. I have even taken away dinner. hes a very stubborn kid to me and tries to be mean when i am at my rope I yell and say, now I am VERY angry with your attitude. you go to your room and get ready for bed. more times that not, he is tired. my kids need to sleep from 8pm to 7am to be decent.

just dont give in. stay strict in same areas and give praise when good.
I make him write sentences already. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I leave him in his room for about 1-1.5 minutes for every year of age. Leaving him in there for 30 minutes would only result in him falling asleep, which then causes him to not want to sleep at night, which then causes him to be tired the next morning, which then results in the same behavior the next day because he is overtired.

He's showing aggressive, angry behavior. I won't spank for that. It's teaching anger, for being angry.

I won't take away dinner, as I don't punish with food.

They go to bed at 7:30 and read, lights out at 8-8:30. They are up at 6:30am.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

He might be a person that cannot just have sugar without a healthy mix of protein. It's pretty common to have that kind of angry, sort of irrational behavior with a sugar surge and crash. Can you coax him to eat cheese and crackers or peanut butter and fruit for a snack?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
ok I am reading more of what you wrote, he has too much sugar in diet and he just needs to stop talking to you like hes the adult. i think you let him get away with too much so you gotta get stiff on it or you will never break this. I have a friend w 3 kids and her 2 yr old tells her what to do. its awful to watch. she constantly gives in so her kids know to run her over till she caves
My kids don't get poptarts, cookies, etc. every single day. I buy something small (a treat, if you will) at the store, each time we go. It has to last a week between three kids.

For example: today he had toast and milk for breakfast. For lunch he had a corn dog, a banana, and chocolate milk. For snack after school he had strawberries and blueberries, and he didn't drink but one sip (maybe) of his yoohoo.... but that was after all of this started.