Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

C/S prep?

Anyone have any special shaving/grooming tips with having c/s? My first was emergency and I just felt gross, then once I could have "cleaned up" around the incision, it got infected and we had to pack the wound... Just wondering if there's anything to help reduce the gross factor after a c/s in case of a repeat for me. Thanks.

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghmommy
Anyone have any special shaving/grooming tips with having c/s? My first was emergency and I just felt gross, then once I could have "cleaned up" around the incision, it got infected and we had to pack the wound... Just wondering if there's anything to help reduce the gross factor after a c/s in case of a repeat for me. Thanks.
The dr will instruct the nurses to prep the area if necessary. Once you'd "need" to do some upkeep work you should be healed enough to do it.

Some dr's don't require shaving the area. I thought it was kinda odd, but my ob didn't have them shave me prior to my c/s with my oldest.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Not much yo make sure the area stays clean when you shower...otherwise not much you can do. I have heard dial soap is the best.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
ambivalent_amy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd go get a Brazilian if I knew I was having another section. All that hair and blood and not being able to shower for 3 days. No thank you.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
kynid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: C/S prep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_amy View Post
I'd go get a Brazilian if I knew I was having another section. All that hair and blood and not being able to shower for 3 days. No thank you.
No shower for 3 days? With my first CS they made me get up and shower within 24 hours. It was the 2nd time I got out of bed and it made me feel SO much better afterwards. I just felt bad because I would get out of the shower all clean and blood would pour down my legs while the nurse tried to put my underwear on me I had amazing nurses though who made me feel like they genuinely loved cleaning up after me
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Ocean4Me
Registered Users
Formerly: ***ach

DS1 was an emergency.This time around,they gave me a packet of papers for surgery prep.They said not to shave before(2 weeks,maybe?or was it 2 days?)Anyway,I told them not to worry,I can't seen down there anyway lol I can't remember if I showered in the hospital after c-section..DH says I did.
Ocean4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally haven't ever been able to get a luke warm shower in the hospital (let alone a warm one) so I try to avoid showering at the hospital at all costs! With my last c-section I showered that morning at home and waited till day 2 I think before I showered again. Maybe this time I should wake up at 3 am and shower.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was told 24 hours before my section that I was having one. They told me not to shave anything, but I had just shaved that morning (bikini area and legs.). I had to take a shower within 24 hours of my section. I actually had the surgery at 9:15am, and took a shower around 10:30 that night. I was told to wash gently with non fragranced soap and rinse well. Pat dry. No infection. I have to look hard to find my scar hth
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Ocean4Me
Registered Users
Formerly: ***ach

OK my papers DO say no shaving 2 weeks before csection(last time I had about an hour notice so I didn't get papers,rules,etc) and DH says afterwards I DID get a shower the next morning and they gave me special soap to clean with,I guess..I don't remember.
Ocean4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Why can't you shave before?

I always shave. Well, my first csection wasn't expected. Lol, I remember getting wheeled into the OR and the nurses were prepping me. One had a shaver and when she lifted my gown she said 'oh, your already shaved '. Lol.
My second was a failed vbac. Knowing i might end up with a csection no one told me not to shave and so I did.

I had to shower after 24hrs too. I'd feel too gross if I didn't. At home I used the plain Dial soap to clean the area.