Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
magoose
Registered Users

Gluten Intolerance in an Infant

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm pretty sure my 10 month old has some form of gluten intolerance (dairy for sure) but I'm getting zero support or help from my family doctor or pediatrician. Just wondering what other's experiences were and how you knew your child had this.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Gluten Intolerance in an Infant

pm'ed you.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our dear friend has a DS with something called EE Eosinophilic enteropathy it is a rare digestive disorder kinda like an uber allergy that attacks the digestive tract. He has been symptomatic since before 1 year even when he was EBF. Are you keep documentation of his diet? If you keep a food diary that keeps records of any symptoms that may help you narrow it down. Then you would do elimiation diets to confirm. He could have a gluten intolerance or an actual allergy to wheat.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

We kept DD2 on a GF diet until her poop hardened a bit from being on solids, then tried to introduce it (though I never went GF). I noticed her poop got a lot softer and more often when she had it and we've tried to introduce it now a few times and every time we get the same result. DH has to be GF, so it was relatively easy to keep her diet that way, and to know to look for it early on.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 20yo could not tolerate wheat until she was about 2.5yo. She would spit up huge amounts (like most of a feeding) any time I would eat wheat. As an adult she often has tummy trouble but I can't convince her to go GF even though she knows she couldn't have it when she was little. Oh and she rarely slept more than 15-20 minutes at a stretch until I eliminated the wheat.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
magoose
Registered Users

Hmm...ok, thanks for sharing. DS2 reacted badly when I started introducing cereals at 6 months. His issues are mainly skin related-horrible eczema on his face and legs. He never has loose stool or anything. If anything he gets constipated really easy. He grabbed a handful of his older brother's muffin (not GF) and ate it before I could stop him. About 2 hours later, his eczema had become very inflamed on his face and he had kind of a softer poop than normal, but he also ate a lot of blueberries that day. It's just difficult sometimes to know what's related and what's not. I have done a food journal, but haven't noticed a huge difference in anything, only dairy, but that's also because I still consume gluten. I'm thinking of taking him to a naturopath to see if I can get more answers there.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Your best answer will come from an elimination diet. Take it out of your diet and his. My DD has Crliac disease and started being symptomatic at 9 months.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Naturopaths/homeopaths can determine allergies AND intolerances with non-invasive testing. They figured out my DD1's dairy and gluten sensitivities at 8 months and my DD2's at only 9 weeks. Eczema is almost always a physical symptom of a sensitivity.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote