Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Drinking while breastfeeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I am just curious. I am not a big drinker and don't plan on becoming one any time soon. I am just curious about drinking while bfing. Would it be safer to formula feed if you are a heavy drinker or is it safe to drink while bfing. I mean someone who drinks a lot and can't just pump if they are going to drink that day. To be clear this is just out of curiosity thanks guys!
Yes, it would be safer to formula feed. Although really, taking care of a baby at all while drinking heavily on a daily basis isn't safe regardless of the feeding method.

Advertisement

Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan
Like I said I don't drink. I was just curious about if an alcoholic with a baby should breast or formula feed.
Honestly, an alcoholic and a baby don't mix. She definitely should not breastfeed or try to take care of a baby or a child. If you know of one I'd strongly encourage you have her seek help and call child protective services/ social services.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna

Honestly, an alcoholic and a baby don't mix. She definitely should not breastfeed or try to take care of a baby or a child. If you know of one I'd strongly encourage you have her seek help and call child protective services/ social services.
It's not a question based on anyone I know. I was just curious if breast milk with alcohol is better or if formula is. Thanks for all the advice and answers!
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #24
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
It's not a question based on anyone I know. I was just curious if breast milk with alcohol is better or if formula is. Thanks for all the advice and answers!
Formula is better than breastmilk with alcohol.... :/

The alcohol completely cancels out anything remotely healthy that breastmilk could offer.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
There are just so many variables with this question..... to most people, its common sense that you don't get drunk and then breastfeed a baby, but in moderation with the right timing is a different story. I am ebf my 4 month old, and I see nothing wrong with the occasional glass of wine with dinner. I'm one if the lucky mom's whose baby is an incredible sleeper (sleeps 12 hours straight at night), so once in a blue moon, I may have 2-3 after she goes to bed and then I drink a tall glass of water before I go to bed as well. If by some chance she would wake up early, I have some expressed milk I'm the freezer as well. But that hasn't happened and I only have an alcoholic beverage once or twice a month anyway.

Eta: I don't even taste alcohol while pregnant. I have issues with seeing a pregnant woman drinking. :/

Last edited by austinandashlynsmommy; 01-13-2013 at 07:42 AM.
austinandashlynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I drink a glass of wine on occasion. At night after my DD2 goes to sleep and won't be nursing in the next 2 hours. In moderation I have no problem with it. But no I don't think an alcoholic should breastfeed.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #27
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinandashlynsmommy View Post
Eta: I don't even taste alcohol while pregnant. I have issues with seeing a pregnant woman drinking. :/
You would have hated me the other night, lol. I had a sip, literally, not even a teaspoon of DH's beer. He said it was nasty, and wanted to send it back and ask for another, so he asked me to taste it to see if it was just him, or if it really was gross.

You should have seen the looks I got, lol.

ETA: I do NOT drink while pregnant, not even wine. I just don't feel safe about it. One sip, though... let's be realistic. Not even a millionth of a drop got to baby.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #28
leyash
Registered Users
seller

And yeah, I guess I could clarify my post above.

Drinking during EBF is acceptable, as long as it's in moderation, and baby is not getting the breastmilk that contains alcohol.

Chugging a 12 pack, and breastfeeding your baby in between beers is NOT acceptable, and formula would be better.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

A alcoholic should probably not breast feed...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post

You would have hated me the other night, lol. I had a sip, literally, not even a teaspoon of DH's beer. He said it was nasty, and wanted to send it back and ask for another, so he asked me to taste it to see if it was just him, or if it really was gross.

You should have seen the looks I got, lol.

ETA: I do NOT drink while pregnant, not even wine. I just don't feel safe about it. One sip, though... let's be realistic. Not even a millionth of a drop got to baby.
LOL that's totally different! I know women who would drink a beer or full glass of wine throughout pregnancy. That's unacceptable in my opinion.
austinandashlynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote