Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had short labor w/1st, was 2nd also short or shorter?

I have two kids. The first, I went to the hospital after a couple hrs of laboring at home. I felt pretty good and was able to talk up until we got there. Then I was in a lot of pain, couldnt even say my name when I got checked in. I was checked in at 6cm dilated. Labored in a tub for about an hr after being monitored. DS was born about 2hrs from when we arrived. I was shocked. I was told in birth class to expect 17hr labor. I pushed for ~20mins. Anyway, less than two yrs later I was pregnant again and I remember reading online that the second is half the time of the first. I thought "nahh, no way".

So. With my second. I went into labor at dinner. I had lots of false labor with both kids so I didnt have a "omg we must go!!" moment. I ate my steak, went next door to the grocery store and I told hubby we needed to go. I got home , took a bath, watched half a show, (maybe an hr of actual "pain") and we left. I got to the hospital and was "a good 5cms". I asked if I was being admitted, the nurse laughed. About 1hr later I was pushing. Pushing took about 15mins. So, in all likelihood the "half time" theory did apply with me.

I know people are always like "omg what an easy time" bc both labors were short. There are pros and cons. With my second, I will say this, I was much MUCH more "in control". It was easier in a way bc I felt like I was in the moment. I knew what was happening and when I transitioned, I knew exactly what was happening so I didnt totally freak out.

So yes, to answer the original question. My second was quicker than my first and both were very fast.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
jlsquire0324
Registered Users

First was 12-14 hrs.. I can't remember exactly when contractions started. Only 20-30 min pushing

Second was 10 hrs. Woke up to a contraction at 3:30am and he was born at 2pm. Only at birth center for 2 hours. He was out in 2-3 contractions.
jlsquire0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was induced everytime so these times are from the start of pit to arrival.
Dd1 3hrs 55mins
Dd2 6hrs 45mins
Ds 9.5hrs

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First labor was 9 hours, second was 6 third was 3.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

It sounds like it often is the the case that the 2nd is faster. I'll have to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row so I'm ready!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mine have gotten shorter each time

Ds1-- 24+ hrs
Ds2-- 8 hrs
Ds3-- 27 minutes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doctor told me the same thing. Oddly the timing was almost identical.

With DS I guess my water partially broke without me knowing it. I seriously just thought I'd had a bit of an accident since it was only a small leak. I changed and went on with my day. This was on a Sunday morning and nothing else happened. So when I went to my regular doctor's appointment on Tuesday afternoon they asked if there was anything I wanted to tell them? Um, no. They sent me home for dinner and told me to go to the hospital after to induce labor.

I got to the hospital at 8. They started ptocin (sp) shortly after. They hooked me up to the monitors and said I was already having contractions, but I couldn't feel anything. At 10 something DH and I were arguing about a tv show and I still felt nothing. Shortly after that I threw up (transition) I had DS at 11:09.

With DD I started leaking at about 5 pm. DH decided to take a nap and I called my mother. lol This time I could feel the contractions. Again we got to the hospital at 8pm. No ptocin this time. I had to wait on the doctor to get there as he was having dinner in another town. Felt contractions the enitre time and delivered at exactly 11 pm.

Very little pushing for either of them. And very easy pregnancies with no morning sickness.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Mine want like that.I started at eight at night Saturday with oldest then nine pm Sunday first was out. Second was about the same time but Sunday I think what ever the seventeen of April was 2011.....then noon was when she came out. Boy we will see. I think for most part it gets easier as you're body is used to it....
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

my first labour was 6 hours and my 2nd was 3 hours
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First was 2h 50m, second was 1h 5m, third was 2h 30m, all with SROM and ctx starting around an hour later.