Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #111
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Lyn, I knew a kid who consistently dropped the ending of his words, and he was helped through therapy. I'm sure they'll be able to help your son.

Vicki, I am jealous about the LegoLand day. We went a couple years ago to LegoLand in San Diego and had a blast. Where in MO is the one y'all went to? We drive through MO to get to DH's family. Maybe I should plan a stop along the way.

Kristin, we've dealt with the lies at our house, too. My oldest even said she lost her work one day, swore she couldn't find it, so I printed off a couple worksheets from the Math-U-See site and she did those instead.

AFU, the older two did schoolwork today, but I admit I don't know what they did. lol They said they did their basic everyday work, but I didn't check it yet. I'll have to do that in the morning. I was busy today trying to get some cleaning done before some friends came over, and after they left it was a trip to the library, dinner, teaching DS how to play Hand and Foot, and then bedtime for the youngest (and reading) and a movie and cross stitching with the older two. Now I'm waiting for the pumpkin bread to get out of the oven and then I'm going to read for a bit. I should go to bed, but we slept in this morning, so I'm not tired now.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #112
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good morning everyone, PS has been cancelled for my older boys today due to the snow and ice. This might work out great as they can play with the little boys while DD does some more of her State Assessment Tests.

DS (9)--I don't know what to do to, we have 1 good day, 1 bad day.....I thought last week went great, then this week we are right back to the attitude. He even told his sister that he is stupid because I homeschool them, that it's all my fault. He told me yesterday that he hates school and why don't I just send him to regular school, he only ever went to ps for Kindergarten. And then last night he told older DS that he doesn't like me..... I'm not sure where all of this is coming from, I've asked him but he doesn't say anything specific. I think it's a combination of things but I don't want to say for sure that it is any particular one, later bedtimes lately (running for older boys activities), more pressure from me to stay on task and get school done, hanging around more with his ps friends (??). I'm frustrated and sad, I have always had great relationships with my kids.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #113
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
Good morning everyone, PS has been cancelled for my older boys today due to the snow and ice. This might work out great as they can play with the little boys while DD does some more of her State Assessment Tests.

DS (9)--I don't know what to do to, we have 1 good day, 1 bad day.....I thought last week went great, then this week we are right back to the attitude. He even told his sister that he is stupid because I homeschool them, that it's all my fault. He told me yesterday that he hates school and why don't I just send him to regular school, he only ever went to ps for Kindergarten. And then last night he told older DS that he doesn't like me..... I'm not sure where all of this is coming from, I've asked him but he doesn't say anything specific. I think it's a combination of things but I don't want to say for sure that it is any particular one, later bedtimes lately (running for older boys activities), more pressure from me to stay on task and get school done, hanging around more with his ps friends (??). I'm frustrated and sad, I have always had great relationships with my kids.
That's got to be rough. Have you asked him what it is he doesn't like about school? Maybe y'all can work together and find a different way to do things or a different curriculum that would help.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #114
croark
Registered Users
seller

Could his PS friends be putting these thoughts in his head (about being not smart)? The reason I ask is because my 10 yr old tied up with one of her PS friends and the friend told DD that she's smarter than my DD because she goes to school. Thankfully it didn't seem to bother her but it bothered me tremendously.

Last edited by croark; 01-30-2013 at 08:39 AM.
croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #115
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do think that alot of this is coming from his PS friends, one in particular is an excellent reader, he always has a book in his hand, and even though my son has made huge strides in the last few weeks with his reading, he is still behind in his reading and that is pulling him back a bit in everything.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #116
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lyn - My 7 year old has articulation issues with his speech. We had him evaluated in Sept. He was at the low end of normal for his age. He had no issues saying the sounds when they are isolated or when we model the word. However, when he is talking, he doesn't articulate properly and people can't even understand him. It is frustrating. Mine didn't qualify for any therapy. We are just working on it at home by correcting him and making him say it correctly. I can't decide if it's getting better or not. It sounds like your son's issue is more severe. I'm sure they can help though.

Sorry your MIL is acting like that. Personally, I have no problem with my children waiting till college to have their first girlfriend/boyfriend. Personally, I hope mine don't till they are ready to get married. Therefore, I would have said something like, "Good! Another great reason to HS!"

Jen - I do get very discouraged. It is very hard to hear everyone talking about their 4 year old reading when my 7 year old is barely doing it. It affects my confidence in my ability to do this. I also find it embarrassing to tell anyone mostly because I feel it is a reflection of me and of how we are doing HS'ing. It is a struggle. As for how I deal, I try to ignore expectations (doesn't work all the time) and I also try to focus on hearing from the other moms of "late" readers. Also, I remind myself often that God is the one who called our family to do this. He will not let us fail.

I think Zack is a year older than Keegan. Keegan is 6 right? When is his b-day? Zack is *finally* making real progress. It usually only takes us 30 minutes to read the stories now and he goes through the workbook SO much faster than just a couple a weeks ago. Phonics work isn't such a struggle like it was and I don't dread it like I did. He doesn't seem to either. I'm feeling very relieved and encouraged. I also am starting to really feel like I actually CAN do this. Like, "look at what we've been able to overcome together! I actually CAN do this!" It's one of those proud confidence building moments when you realized that God will equip you to do what He has called you to and your mother instincts are right on. I was right. HS'ing is working for us! He *is* learning the important stuff along with the fun stuff. It's going to happen for Keegan too.

I know you have had all sorts of advice and help, but I should probably mention something to you that I have not yet. I called MFW about a month or so ago about Zack's reading skills. We also got to talking about Samantha and Blake. (My twins who turned 5 in Dec.) The huge piece of advice she gave me was this...always do phonics separately, no matter if they are doing the same thing or are on the same level or not. She said they always recommend doing phonics one on one, separately from the twin. The reason is because sometimes one will just slide by taking cues from the other and not actually picking up the skills. She said sometimes even, the parent isn't even aware that one isn't getting it because they are learning to follow the other's lead. I would think this would apply to siblings close in age as well. You could call and talk to them about it. I found them very helpful for me. Anyway, I just thought I should at least mention it.

AFU - My mom was here yesterday. We still managed to get Bible, reading and phonics in. And, I think we did a little math. I can't remember. I'm really NOT motivated today. I'm having my first real pp AF. It's a bit extreme and it's really affecting me. Plus, my back is really hurting again. And, we have friends coming tomorrow. So, I'm more concerned with getting the playroom and the kids rooms picked up and put back in order than I am about school. It's 11 am and we haven't done anything yet. We will see if we do.

Do other HS'ing families have days they just don't want to do it and skip it? Since we school year round and don't have to be done by May/June, I give myself the luxury of doing this fairly often.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-30-2013 at 09:07 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #117
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Yep, Heather we do that. Of course, we don't typically have the longer breaks until we between school years. And that break isn't necessarily as long as the public school summer break.

Those of y'all with children who struggle with reading, I read somewhere that the average age for learning to read is 8. And just because a child reads early or earlier than others doesn't make them any smarter than other children. It just means they learned to read earlier. Hang in there. Your kids will get it.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #118
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Yep, Heather we do that. Of course, we don't typically have the longer breaks until we between school years. And that break isn't necessarily as long as the public school summer break.

Those of y'all with children who struggle with reading, I read somewhere that the average age for learning to read is 8. And just because a child reads early or earlier than others doesn't make them any smarter than other children. It just means they learned to read earlier. Hang in there. Your kids will get it.
I've heard this many, many times. I've also heard that by 8 or 9 they are almost all on the same level. It evens out so to speak. I try not to worry about it, but our culture puts so much emphasis on early learning and labels children as behind so quickly. I know if Zack was in PS he would be labeled behind. But, I also know that in Asian cultures where they are academically advanced, they don't start school till about 8. Still, that isn't what we do in the US and because of that it's hard not to compare. I try though.

Oh, and we take a longer break between "years," but only about 2wks or so. Any more than that and we get stir crazy. LOL. I do randomly take off more than a day or so also. Sometimes we will skip a whole week just because. But, we missed so much before the baby and so many random days after he was born that I'm trying not to do that till after we are done with 1st. Glad I'm not alone.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-30-2013 at 09:38 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #119
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Do other HS'ing families have days they just don't want to do it and skip it? Since we school year round and don't have to be done by May/June, I give myself the luxury of doing this fairly often.
Us! We do this. We also homeschool year round, but I'm thinking about taking all of July off for sanity, and to have a definite break. We would start back right after DH's birthday at the begining of August. We're hoping to go to the hs convention here in WA this year in June, so it seems like a good time to take a break.

Afu (school)-we're getting ready for ballet right now, and need to do some errands. I have some things I'd like to get printed at Office Max as well, to rep for next year. Otherwise, we're working on The Mitten stuff. So all our basis are covered but the kids think its a free time/Funtime week.

DH figured out where a chunk of the bad attitudes were coming from...that annoying show Cailliu<--sp. I usually don't have a problem with PBS shows, and had watched this one once. I thought the whinny show was just an episode, and DH says its not...the main kid is always like that, and the parents regularly give in/give no consequence to the kid. The words "I don't want to" are starting to diminish, and with them, most of my frustrations. Thank goodness for small miracles!

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 01-30-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #120
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Cynthia, I've heard that before about Caillou. Good to know your hubby found that out and it's an easy fix.