Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #51
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Rebecca - Welcome to the group! What a great intro post. I'm so happy for your family. I haven't ever done a major curriculum change, but I have changed a few things around (and even put a curriculum away when I realized I was starting my son too soon). In my limited experience, finding the right program for your kids/family life is so key to enjoying HS'ing. Through changing things up, I've also gained confidence in my ability to do this. When push comes to shove, I do know what is best for my kids and my family. Congrats to you on having the courage to make the change.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #52
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's 1115 and we are just starting. Two Dr app this morning.

I've had 3 major curriculum changes.since DD started. I was still figuring out what worked for her. But when we found it we have stuck to it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #53
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I think we used something different every year for the first 4 years with our oldest. And we made changes this year, too (her 8th year). Math was the only thing that stayed the same. The younger two, thankfully, shouldn't have all the changes.

Well, the kids requested an electronic day, so I told them if they could get their work done this morning, they could have the afternoon. DS is finished with his and ODD is working on her science, which involves setting up an experiment. I havent done anything with YDD yet, though. I might not, actually. I was feeling under the weather yesterday, and today I feel fine, except terribly unmotivated.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #54
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, today didn't go as planned. The kids are a little sick with mild colds, but I have it full force. We finished the phonics we started on Saturday and that was it. No math or science.

Well, we did have an impromptu chemistry lesson with baking soda and vinegar. We LOVE the Magic School Bus movies. (I find the books to be a bit cluttered on the page. But the movies are great, IMHO.) I found the whole series (52 episodes) on DVD for $38 and bought it. We are all SO excited since we've had trouble getting them from our library and Netflix though we've gotten enough to know we love them. Anyway, along with our MFW 1st science, I'm letting them watch one Magic School Bus a week and adding in books and activities that relate to the topic of that episode. Today's was about Chemistry in the kitchen. So, we mixed baking soda and vinegar like they did in the movie. We will try to do some baking later this week too. Last week, we learned about Coral Reefs. They kids are really loving this and I'm enjoying it too. They are constantly asking to watch another and I have to say no. I know they would watch them all in record time if I let them. I'm trying to prolong them and keep the interest going.

On a totally different note, I am SO SICK of being sick!! It seems like because there so many of us and the kids are at home and not exposed to much, whenever we do go out, we get sick. We go to the gym every night when we aren't sick. But, that has only been 1-2 per week since I started back up about 3wks ago. I HAVE to lose this weight. But, I can't if I can't work out and I can not work out at home because I have too many kids who are too little to even get 30 minutes to do it. Plus, I've missed church 4 weeks in a row because I've been home with whoever has been sick. (I may as well stay because I often end up taking the baby out of the service anyway.) At least one of my kids has missed AWANA recently. We have been lucky not to miss much AWANA. And, my mom usually comes on Tuesdays and has had to cancel because we are sick. We need haircuts very badly and she is our hairdresser. And, we had to cancel a playdate this week. It would be one thing too if it was just the kids, but they always manage to give it to me. I'm tired of taking care of sick kids while being sick myself. *sigh* Sorry, I'm just very frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent.

Tomorrow is a new day and my mom isn't coming because we are sick. So, hopefully, we will feel better and get some stuff done. We are supposed to make a family tree in the next couple of days. (Was scheduled for last Friday. LOL.)

Oh Jen - If you aren't there yet, I'd flip to day....76....let me look.....yes, 76. For the Bible Notebook, it tells you to demonstrate the one sentence summary. It has you do it on day 76 and 79. Then, on day 81, the student does the one sentence summary. I feel like I should have been having him give an oral 1 sentence summary the whole time in addition to the longer summary he gives. He is having a little trouble with it. If I'd known and thought ahead, I would have been having him do this starting much sooner to get ready for this step. Anyway, just a heads up in case you care.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #55
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I am struggling so bad right now. My preschool is not wanting to do anything anymore and my other two are not making any big progress either imo. My preschooler is not wanting to learn anything and just throws fits. I have no clue how to get him ready for kinder when he acts like this. All my family is saying I should just put them all in public school again and let the schools do their jobs. I don't know what to think anymore. I just pulled my kids back in late Nov. so I know I need more time, but I am so scared that too much time of me failing them will put them too far behind everyone else. I am just lost.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #56
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Missy - It is hard HS'ing littles. First, I would not worry one little bit about your preschooler. Let them play. My older twins are the same age. They turned 5 in Dec. I think yours is turning 5 this month. They don't do anything formal. Everything they need to know they can learn though relaxed play and just general life. I didn't do any preschool with my son who is in 1st. He is just fine and not behind. He doesn't like to read, but that has nothing to do with doing or not doing preschool. LOL. Anyway, if you ask, you will find a LOT of homeschoolers take this approach to preschool and K. Is he going to PS for K? If not then there is definitely no reason to push and stress either one of you. All that is going to happen is he is going to resent school. You don't want that. ETA - I tried to start my oldest in a formal curriculum just after he turned 5. Technically it was his pre-K year since his B-day is in Oct. I thought since he was so close to the age cut off for K, he would be ready. it was an EPIC failure and *I* felt like a failure too. I put it away till he was officially going to be in K and only 1 month from turning 6. It made a HUGE difference and he caught right up. He hardly could even recognize all letters at that point because he was SO against any formal learning or reading. He had no problem picking it up fast.

For the olders (and preschooler too), have you considered changing curriculum? Finding the right curriculum for the family and the child is the key to success in HS'ing. What are you using? Are they not understanding it? Are you not able to get in what you need to? The first few months to a year or more of HS'ing is very tough because you are learning how to actually get it done and how to guide your day and your children's learning. You have to give yourself time and grace in this area. I was also pregnant for our first year. It's an added bonus.

We HS year round to take some of the pressure off being on schedule. This gives us extra time to finish each program (or grade) before moving on. We don't have set days we school and days we don't. This just allows us to have those random days that just don't work out. Maybe something like that would work for you too.

Hang in there. It is hard, especially with young children and being pregnant. Believe me, with a 7 year old, 2 5 year olds, 2 2.5 year olds and a 3 month old, I know it's really tough. You can do this! Stop talking to your family about it if they are adding to the stress. When they ask how it's going, just give a generic answer like, "it's going fine." and leave it at that. You don't need them telling you that you aren't doing a good job because I HIGHLY doubt that is true. HS'ing and PS'ing are nothing alike and it takes time to get out of the PS mindset. Give yourself time. We are here for you.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-21-2013 at 05:20 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #57
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we had a decent day. we did not do a tone but touched a little on each subject The girls worked in there new work books that I got at the dollar tree yesterday. we watched out cultures around the world dvd and how mountains and rivers are formed dvd that we got at the library again because they go back wed. I think I might take the girls to the history museum tomorrow they are doing a exhibit on George Washington that ends soon so I think i might just take them to that tomorrow. Then we have the library on wed for story time and what ever craft they pull out of there sleeve this week. Its been a bit of an easy week.

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #58
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
I am struggling so bad right now. My preschool is not wanting to do anything anymore and my other two are not making any big progress either imo. My preschooler is not wanting to learn anything and just throws fits. I have no clue how to get him ready for kinder when he acts like this. All my family is saying I should just put them all in public school again and let the schools do their jobs. I don't know what to think anymore. I just pulled my kids back in late Nov. so I know I need more time, but I am so scared that too much time of me failing them will put them too far behind everyone else. I am just lost.
Hi there, it's tough when they don't want to cooperate! I struggle a lot with the same feelings and dh and I talk weekly about ps vs. hs and if I'm doing a terrible job. You'd be surprised though what they learn without actually "being taught" at these ages though. They blow me away daily to be honest. Dd has learned way more at home than she did for the two months she was in ps. Plus I'm less frustrated with trivial matters, (like sugar cookies for snack time, and no umbrellas, etc.).

I wouldn't worry about your preschooler my almost 4 yo does that every once in a while and honestly if I push it, things get worse. It's easiest if I set up her "work boxes" and walk away. All they really are, are a bunch of toys/activities that I've printed from 1+1+1 or confessions of a homeschoolers. Sometimes she won't want anything to do with them, but often she'll want to "do school" because she sees dd1 and I working together.

As for school hours, Washington says that we're supposed to log 1000 hours for 1st-12th, but the law also says that it's a "loose" estimation since hs isn't the same as ps, so I plan to log next year, but only for practice and in case we get sent to another state for dh's job. I plan to count trivial things if we need at buffer because 5.5 hrs for a 6yo is jut too much IMO.

Our local school tried to tell me I had to file intent as well, but its not required until age 8 here, so we aren't until its needed. Otherwise I'd have to get the hsing cert early. I double checked the law and called the district hs coordinator and had it confirmed.

Afu- I spent most of yesterday getting our hs area back in shape. We've been doing our work at the kitchen table, so the room where our books and supplies are stored has gotten trashed again. It's looking much better today though. Dd1 has had a terrible attitude this weekend. She's angry that she lost privileges for having a bad attitude and acting up..yeah, she isn't helping herself here. Plus dd2 got sick on Saturday when we were planning a hike at the local wildlife refuge, so that was canceled. I think it would be bearable if only dd4 would sleep without being held. I hate teething and my kids take weeks for each set of two teeth. We're on our third week! I'm so tired. It's 4:50 here and I'm going to try to sleep before we start school around 7ish. Here's to hoping for a better day today, and a big mug of coffee when dh's alarm goes off in hag an hour. Ugh!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #59
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Welcome to the group Rebecca.

Kristin--Congrats on reaching the 750hr milestone!!

I'm not sure if I checked in last week or not, I've been following along but because our evenings have been so full of activities, I'm usually reading updates on my phone.

An update on us:
Usually DH has very little to say about our homeschooling, he supports it, but generally doesn't say much as far as our schedules, curriculum etc. Well.....DS continues to struggle with reading and while he was home the other day, DS was in a "mood" and because we were working on a unit study on Henry Ford together with his sister he was sent to his room, he has been giving me quite a bit of resistance lately with school and I was fed up so to speak. I told him he could do his portion of the assignment with his dad. Thinking that DH would get after him, and at first he did about his attitude, but later he turned it on me. He told me that my "JOB' is to stay home and educate the children. We have taken a lot of days off, switched curriculums on different subjects, the list goes on and on with reasons we haven't stayed on track throughout this year. My kids were at grade level when we pulled them from PS and now DS is behind, DD is doing ok, but I know that the inconsistent schedule has pulled her back a little this year as well. Initially I was furious with DH, even though I didn't say anything in response to his comments at the time (deep down I knew he was right), other than we are so busy it's hard to stay on schedule, I spent the rest of the day thinking about what he said and really deep down I knew he was right. He told the kids and I that they can only continue to be homeschooled if we are are commited to staying on track and learning!! And, maybe that is what I needed to hear, even though it was very hard to swallow. I started the week with a different attitude and approach, and I"m happy to report the last 2 days have been great, we accomplished more in the last 2 days than we did in the last 2 weeks. I need to remind myself everyday WHY we are doing this.

I also need to take a hard look at what we are using for schooling (for next year, no more changes this year), I tend to lean towards the artsy craftsy side of things and tend to pick out lapbooks, hands on projects, curriculums that use a boat load of books and projects, Ok, I get it, we can't do that for EVERY subject, lol. But I was trying, then I would spend all of my time researching, printing, purchasing....and we never got around to doing the projects or having the time to finish them.

So with that said, I need to get off of DS and get busy for the day. We need to be dressed and ready to go by 2:30 today to go to older DS's sporting event that is about 1 1/2 hours away.

I hope you all have a GREAT day.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #60
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Heather--thanks for the heads up. I wish I would have known sooner too--we're on day 69. But it's not too big of deal, I do have them do that with sentences sometimes but we probably need to start working on it a bit more. I do hope that things pick up for you soon and all your littles (and yourself) are feeling good!

Missy--Honestly, it's preschool. You don't have to worry about it at all. We did no form of preschool and I promise that my children aren't ruined because of it. If you want preschool that's fine, but try to remember if she's seeming hesitant that it would be better for both of you to take a day off than to stress over it. Sometimes I need help remembering that myself, lol.

I can't remember now who wanted a pic of logging hours, but here's mine.

This if for last week, Monday--Sunday. Subjects are listed at top, days of the week along the side. I tally all my totals in the margins. On the side I write total hours for the day (say, 5 hours for monday) and along the bottom I write total hours of each subject per week. (Like writing, 2 hours) Not sure how well you can see everything but maybe that will give some of you an idea. In the very bottom corner I put the grand total of hours for the week, then add it to my running total which I write in the top left side of each page. Hope that makes sense, because it doesn't sound that clear.

As for us, we didn't do tons of stuff here yesterday since Jon was here. We did do a couple fun learning things, like playing resturant for lunch. He seemed like he had no earthly idea how to add (even on his fingers) so not sure if they're not teaching that yet or if he's just not paying attention. Could be either. I also spent a good bit of the day on the phone--I think Kennah may be having mini-siezures. Siezures is the main symptom of focal cortical dysplasia (she was dx with FCD at 20 months) but we havn't noticed any until recently. I'm scared, and stressed. Anyway, her ped was able to get us an appointment with a new neurologist which is awesome because the old one was terrible. And I won't have to wait too long, because it's Feb. 15. That's just a consultation though, and then they'll probably schedule the EEG. I'm trying not to freak, but it's not going that well.

Today went well. Keegan even said that our reading was fun today!! That's huge in my book. We got everything done really quickly with no complaining so I can't ask for much more than that.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote