Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

surgery for endometriosis

I found out I most likely have pretty severe endo and have had it for 20+ years. I have 2 children. A 14 year old and a 2&1/2 year old. It took me forever to conceive #2!!! Anyway. I'm scared to death of surgery. So much can go wrong, blood clots causing a stroke, aspirating and causing pneumonia, accidentally cutting my colon, bladder, liver etc., death!!! Idk if the risks are worth another baby and another csection! Scared of that too. is there something else I could try? I don't want to be cut up over and over. I've already had 4 abdominal surgeries.

Advertisement

Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: surgery for endometriosis

The endo surgery is NOT like a c section. It's a laproscope. They make very tiny incisions. I can't even tell where mine were from 4 years ago. Even if it's not "worth" another baby, it is SOOO worth the pain relief. I felt so very much better after. It does grow back though until you get a hysterectomy. So I"m 4 years after my last one and thinking I may need it again soon. It's worth it to me. Most people have a 2-3 day recovery. I responded badly and was still only down a week and a half. It's actually the easiest of the 4 surgeries I've had.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
ProudCoastieWife
Registered Users
Formerly: GrimLife
seller

My Mood:

I have mine scheduled for next month, and I'm scared as well. We have no children yet, but have been TTC for almost 2 years. At this point I'm pretty much willing to do anything!
ProudCoastieWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCoastieWife View Post
I have mine scheduled for next month, and I'm scared as well. We have no children yet, but have been TTC for almost 2 years. At this point I'm pretty much willing to do anything!
I have a good feeling you'll be pregnant by July ...if not sooner
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
ProudCoastieWife
Registered Users
Formerly: GrimLife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddalena View Post
I have a good feeling you'll be pregnant by July ...if not sooner
From your mouth to God's ears!!!
ProudCoastieWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The surgery isn't at all that bad. They tell you all these awful things that could go wrong because they have to by law so you are able to give informed consent. The likelihood of all or any of that happening are rather slim. I have felt tons better after every surgery and feel that for me it was have surgery or live in misery. If you have no symptoms of endo and truly are okay with being done having children that is fine as well though.

I usually have one bad night because of the gas they use to puff you up to see. After that it is not so bad. roll side to side and get up and walk around A LOT. it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba View Post
The surgery isn't at all that bad. They tell you all these awful things that could go wrong because they have to by law so you are able to give informed consent. The likelihood of all or any of that happening are rather slim. I have felt tons better after every surgery and feel that for me it was have surgery or live in misery. If you have no symptoms of endo and truly are okay with being done having children that is fine as well though.

I usually have one bad night because of the gas they use to puff you up to see. After that it is not so bad. roll side to side and get up and walk around A LOT. it makes all the difference in the world.
Thank you! I'm in pain daily...I suspect from endo. It might be nice to be able to lay on my belly or have a period shorter than 9-11 days! Maybe it won't be as bad as my gallbladder surgery!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

I think I have an idea....we will try meds to help shrink endometriosis ( if there is such a thing) until hubby has vacation....about a year from now as he just got a job TODAY. See, I have two kids with disabilities and need time to heal from surgery, help with the boys....and to loose weight in case the surgery works and I do get pregnant.
What are your thoughts on this.
I AM 37....but I do have 2 kids...so #3 would be nice but I guess I wouldn't die if I couldn't have one more. I feel pretty old. I wanted my kids close together but it's too late for that now....even if I was pregnant today....what's one more year? See, I'd have to have another csection and so that's just a LOT of surgery. I'm kinda the non invasive type. Anyone got any advice for shrinking this stuff....something super strong?!

Last edited by Maddalena; 01-14-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was on Lupron for 6 mo. recently. I wouldnt call it "non invasive" though. Sure, they don't cut you open, but it wipes your estrogen levels out completely so the endo has nothing to feed on. You get all the menopause symptoms and then some, so you don't feel great and most people are also on a slew of vitamins and an anti depressant. I does seem to work, but there have been no studies looking at fertility w/o IFV as to if it works. Good luck with your decesion. Do some research on the Lupron for yourself. It sounds pretty terrible when you read about it, and I have to say it wasn't all that great for me. It probably wasn't as terrible as it is made out to be either though.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
Jomama521
Registered Users

I had surgery last summer for my endometriosis. I had a small hole on both sides of my abdomen and one in my belly button. I had about an inch wide incision a little above my pubic bone. It only took a few days to recover and about a week to get back to normal. Afterwards I felt amazing! I had a period on my own that didn't cause pain and sex didn't hurt anymore! Surprise, I got pregnant 2 weeks later without any help! Good luck! I should add that I was a stage 4 so they did some major work in there!
Jomama521 is offline   Reply With Quote