Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkant
I would dump the clothes on the floor just inside his door. But then, I'm not the nicest person. >.>

My parent's rule was that you had to be able to easily walk from the bed to the door, for safety's sake. I also started washing my own clothes when I was 10, so getting in my room to put laundry in there wasn't their problem, either.
That would never work. He just steps over it!!

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I.go into.their.room.at.all.during the week.and it is not.clean then they.dont.get to do anything fun that.weekend. all my kids are very good at all aspects of keeping a good house. I joke every one of my teens could make a good living cleaning houses (and my teens actually do clean other peoples houses for $ now) they are very popular with our neighborhood.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkant View Post
I would dump the clothes on the floor just inside his door. But then, I'm not the nicest person. >.>

My parent's rule was that you had to be able to easily walk from the bed to the door, for safety's sake. I also started washing my own clothes when I was 10, so getting in my room to put laundry in there wasn't their problem, either.
If my.drawers weren't correctly filled or my closet wasn't clean.everything got thrown into the middle of the room. My dad would also bounce a quarter off my bed. The happiest day of my teenage life is when I got my waterbed
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #24
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf

If my.drawers weren't correctly filled or my closet wasn't clean.everything got thrown into the middle of the room. My dad would also bounce a quarter off my bed. The happiest day of my teenage life is when I got my waterbed
What's the quarter thing about?
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post

What's the quarter thing about?
My dad was in the military/police. You have to make your bed tucked in a certain way (no big.comforters allowed ) so that when you dropped a quarter om the bed it bounced. I am not that anal

Edited to add bounce enough to catch it

Last edited by ulawolf; 01-14-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you clean your teen's room?

I dont have teens yet, someday i will have 3 teenage boys in my house though, but no I will not clean their rooms, they will however have to keep them decent, they dont need to be clean to my standards but they cant be disasters either.
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Not technically my kid, but I am raising a teen that has had no structure and very little attention. She is expected to leave her room and bathroom clean when she leaves for school each day. Stuff put away, bed made, laundry taken downstairs if her laundry bag is getting full, makeup etc put away, counter wiped down, no gross feminine messes, and if needed, mirror cleaned. She basically has to clean up after herself (it is rare for anyone else to use her bathroom). I will deep clean the bathroom. But the bedroom is all her.

I don't think it is too much to ask, and honestly it is just a starting point. I will need to help her catch up to her age/maturity level, and then be ready for adulthood. Cleaning up after herself is just a drop in the bucket.

Eta: I actually have to have a talk with her today. Last week I had to get a spare piece of furniture out of her room (was hers, but she insists she doesn't want to use it) and found dirty towels, clothes, and dishes stashed in the drawers. That does NOT count as a clean room. That is just gross, even if it appears pretty. Generally, if she goes more than a day or two without meeting expectations, she will get a warning, then her phone taken away.

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 01-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My kids (5, 3 and almost 2) clean their own rooms. I vaccum and do laundry but they are responsible for picking up the toys and bringing dirty clothes to the washer.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

No I would not be cleaning a teenagers room. My 4 and 7 year old both clean their room daily. I will vacuum ,dust and pull the bed out so they can pick up the toys that rolled under it but that is the most I do. They also put their clean laundry away and bring their dirty laundry to the hamper in the laundry room. If my teenager could not or refused to keep their room clean they would not have a room any more .
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC
My kids (5, 3 and almost 2) clean their own rooms. I vaccum and do laundry but they are responsible for picking up the toys and bringing dirty clothes to the washer.
I like that. I am just starting to work with my 2yo and 3yo. Right now I have them "help me" put toys in proper places. I don't have them clean their room (which is just beds and clothes) yet, but their playroom is much more of a mess and much easier to learn. They are eager to help initially, but you give me hope they can soon take care of their messes themselves! They are like little tornadoes in there.