Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #41
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you clean your teen's room?

I don't clean my DD's room and it is pretty bad. She "cleaned" it recently, but I am not quite sure what that entailed as it's still quite messy. I rarely do her laundry. I stopped a few years ago and she is pretty good at keeping up with it. After reading this thread though, I think I need to crack down a bit more and make her get it all the way clean soon. I do let her decorate as she wants to, which means that her walls are essentially wallpapered with posters. I'm totally OK with that though.

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #42
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

By 14 he can do his own laundry. The way my mom dealt with my slovenly self, and to be honest the way I clean now, is she would put a set amount of time on a timer and I would have to actively clean for that time. She would do this as frequently as needed. By my senior year my parents never came into my room because it was always neat.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #43
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mom didn't teach me to clean. She figured if we learn to take care of ourselves we would leave her. I struggled as a young adult when I was on my own. I couldn't cook and sucked at cleaning effectively. Be wise of this I'm a little harder on my 12 yr old. I stopped cleaning his room and doing his laundry when he was 10. He so has chores around the house. He. Leans the living room, washes the family towels, and walks and feeds the dog. I have a 30 year old cousin still living at his moms. Hes always in his sponge bob pj's and playing video games. I won't have my son grow up to be like that.

I bought him a Xbox for his room for Christmas. He has to clean for 15 minutes for every hr of video games he wants to play. He never wants to clean for more than 15 minutes so he plays for an hr. this helps limit his video game time.

Eta: my son's room is not the cleanest room in the house. I just make sure I can see the floor, there's no garbage, dirty laundry is in his hamper and clean clothes is in the drawers.

Last edited by Cdra; 01-15-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Cdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #44
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 5 & 8 yos do their laundry and clean their rooms. I can't imagine I'd start again as teens. I'm open to helping. There are no electronics in their rooms. No food allowed. Really the just sleep and dress in their rooms. They do have other household chores too.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #45
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, she cleans Mine! LOL!

It's the 7 y/o son that is the problem, but he does have to do it, himself.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #46
blueyes
Registered Users

No way when my daughter becomes a teen. She has to clean her room herself and do her own laundry. When I was a teen, my parents never cleaned my room.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #47
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes View Post
Don't have teens but I have siblings 7-8 years my junior.

For me it becomes a difference between messy, dirty,and bio-hazard

Messy is ok. It's their space and can be cluttered disorganized or whatever works for them. if the want to live out of laundry baskets fine.

Dirty would be Dirty laundry. I don't see a problem with making them put dirty clothes into a basket and not on the floor.
Heck my 6&8 year olds can manage that 90% of the time.

Biohazard is completely unacceptable. Ie dirty dishes growing things. Making yogurt of sorts in cups ect
This is how I feel as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #48
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope.

I have two teens and a 2 year old sharing a room. It DOES get messy but they have to clean it up. Not perfect, just tidy.

If they can't keep it tidy then that means there is too much stuff in it. It took ONE time of my saying they had too much and them seeing what happens if I have to clean it

FWIW, I was a nanny for several years for 6 boys (started as 4 but she had two more) Their mother had pretty much done everything for them or paid people to. Instead of doing things for those boys I taught them how to care for a home. I taught them how to do laundry,clean a bathroom,sweep, and mop etc. I told them that in learning to care for their living quarters they were learning to care for themselves. The oldest one was about 9 when I started working for them. He had never had to clean up after himself. He didn't even know how to use a broom. I changed that pretty quickly

Three of those 6 boys are now men. All single. All with their own places. All three of them keep very tidy homes. I'm pretty dang proud of them.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #49
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and my teens do their own laundry as well as their little sisters.

My 6 year old DS does his laundry and his younger brothers. I do help him with folding and putting away.His little brother also helps put it away

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #50
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog
You are raising someones husband. Do her a favour and teach him to be a man.

I live with an ex spoiled brat and his inability to clean up after himself causes many fights.
I love you. That is the single most awesome thing I have ever read on DS. I know the words "I'm not your mother" leave my mouth at least once a week and we've been married over ten years. Plus, think of when they live on their own, you want them to know how to clean and take care of their belongings.