Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #61
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you clean your teen's room?

No way. My 4 year old cleans her own room by herself so there is no way in heck I am going to be cleaning her room as a teenager. I believe the key to keeping things clean is not keeping crap around. Minimalizing the stuff we own has helped a lot.

ETA: Cleaning daily keeps it from becoming a colossal mess.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #62
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

I do not have a teen yet, but I can say that right now I have a 6 and 5 year old who I expect to clean there room. If my 14 year old wasnt cleaning there room they would loose there door and slowly other privileges until they learned to keep there room clean. I am not too mean I help my 3 year old lol.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #63
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I don't clean it, I don't touch it. She has to deal with her own laundry, and has for years, so I don't even head in there for laundry.

Every so often, probably once a week or every other week, ish, I make her take a few hours on Saturday and clean it up. Basically, I don't care if it's messy, I care if it's gross, and if it starts to approach gross, she has to clean it up. Cleaning it up means the clothes on the floor get taken care of, the trash on the floor gets taken care of, anything that is trash or gross on the horozontal surfaces gets cleaned up. I don't make her organize the whole thing, I don't make her make her bed and I don't make her put things away as long as they are up out of the way-I don't care if she has 5 books stacked on the corner of her dresser instead of in the bookcase as long as they aren't all over the floor and not strewn haphazardly and getting wrecked.

I DO make her vacuum as soon as the floor is clear enough to do so. I do make her wipe up anything that is spilled. I also make her wash her sheets and blankets whenever I notice she hasn't done it in a while.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #64
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm really surprised to see how many little kids are expected to clean their room. It takes me just about an hour to clean DD2 & DD3's room, I can't imagine how long it would take them, lol. DD2 couldn't change out her sheets since she is on the top bunk and they can't even reach the top of their one tall dresser to dust it.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #65
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Nope I will not clean my kids' rooms when they reach teenage years. My three all share one room but it is HUGE. Mariah has one corner, Savannah has another corner, Alannah has the space inbetween and then there is a shared area for mutual toys. Each girl is responsible for their own area and all share in cleaning up the shared area. Ever since I split the room up into three rooms cleaning up has been much better. I always tell them that they better keep it clean because I will go up there out of the blue and if it's dirty I will be "cleaning" house meaning they will be losing toys. Savannah already does her own laundry so I know that won't be an issue at least.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #66
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I'm really surprised to see how many little kids are expected to clean their room. It takes me just about an hour to clean DD2 & DD3's room, I can't imagine how long it would take them, lol. DD2 couldn't change out her sheets since she is on the top bunk and they can't even reach the top of their one tall dresser to dust it.
You're probably deep cleaning it though. I think most of us mean that our kids have to pick up toys, garbage, etc. Not actually change bedsheets, vaccuum, dust, etc.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #67
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I change the sheets, but they dust and wipe surfaces and wash windows. They also vacuum and Dustbust cobwebs.

Last edited by mysticmomma1879; 01-18-2013 at 06:37 PM.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #68
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda

You're probably deep cleaning it though. I think most of us mean that our kids have to pick up toys, garbage, etc. Not actually change bedsheets, vaccuum, dust, etc.
Oh, ok yep that is what I was thinking.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #69
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 6 year old picks up her own toys and is responsible to put her clothes in the hamper. Sometimes she makes her bed, but usually it doesn't get mad. We still naps most days, so I think it's kinda pointless to make and unmake it that many times. Plus, she has a queen bed, and it's big for her little arms. I periodically make her scrape stickers off of her floor and scrub off any stray crayon marks. She can put away her own laundry, and likes to help me fold it. My 3 year old picks up her books and toys and puts her clothes in the hamper. So hopefully when they are teenagers, they will be doing it all on their own.