Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about IUD's

My birthcontrol script is up and I will be making an appt soon. I am intrested in an IUD if my insurance will cover it. I curently like my birthcontrol its a lo does but it makes me gain weight is the only con. I know my insurance doesent cover it so I have to find something else. Can I hear some pros and cons of both kinds of IUD's I like to hear some real advice from been their done that moms. I do use a menstrual cup would this affect anything? Thanks

Advertisement

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I had a paraguard before kids and I loved it. No side effects like with hormonal (well, my already short period was maybe half a day longer). A few times the string (feels like fishing wire) poked hubby until it coiled up around my cervix. Hubby loved it, too (not the poking, the IUD in general. He wants me to get another since we think we are done having a babies. I had it for about 3 years before we started ttc. We paid out-of-pocket for it, but it was still cost-effective as long as we used it for 1.5-2years.

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 01-14-2013 at 08:58 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had both the paraguard and merina. Both gave me side effects. With paraguard I hate awful periods. I finally took it out after 6 months. Merina made me spot for months. Horrible mood swings and cramping. I had it over a year. I'm thinking about trying paraguard again. It really depends on your body.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about IUD's

all i seem to hear are the horror stories about IUD's and the things that go wrong with them like them getting embedded and having to be surgically removed. I have such a hard time figuring out what to do for Birth control.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

There is a thread about Paragard specifically that has some interesting info. It's either on the first or second page of this folder.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
gairfowl
Registered Users

I *LOVE* my Mirena. This is my second one. I had the first one for about 3 years until we decided to try for a baby, and had the second one put in at about 12 weeks postpartum.

The first insertion was very smooth; it was a nurse practitioner who said she'd put in hundreds of IUDs. It hurt (like a bad cramp) for about a minute, then mild cramps the rest of the day. After that, light spotting for about a month, then NO PERIODS until I had it removed. I loved it. Removal (by a different provider) was no big deal; I was having a Pap anyway and had said at the beginning of the appointment that I wanted it removed that day. While she was doing the Pap I had a second of thinking "WHAT WAS THAT?!" and then it was over and she held up the IUD.

The second insertion was not as good. New state, new doctor. I initially went in at about 9 weeks postpartum, I think, and my regular doctor was out of town. The person trying to insert it had a lot of trouble using the tenaculum (a type of forceps used to hold the cervix steady). It was very painful; she tried over and over again (painfully each time) but never got to the actual insertion part. I went back a few weeks later and my regular doctor put it in. He had to try twice with the tenaculum, but overall the insertion that time wasn't bad. I've never had any bleeding at all with this IUD, but I've also been breastfeeding the whole time (DS is 16 months old now).

Hope that helps. I love that it lasts 5 years, I don't have to think about it, and I personally have never had any side effects except the lack of periods, which I consider a major bonus. It's also safe to use while BFing and reversible; both very important to me.
gairfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well after looking at a tone of information and reading about a mess load of women that got pregnant and then lost babys with the IUD I don't think I am going to be getting one. I don't think I could handle lousing another one and the risk are high if you get pregnant with and IUD in place. I have an apt on wed hopefully the DR can help me find a pill that wont make me miserable.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
COgle3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_marines_wife03
well after looking at a tone of information and reading about a mess load of women that got pregnant and then lost babys with the IUD I don't think I am going to be getting one. I don't think I could handle lousing another one and the risk are high if you get pregnant with and IUD in place. I have an apt on wed hopefully the DR can help me find a pill that wont make me miserable.
I'm right there with you. I got my paragard after a miscarriage, had 40 days of pain, migraines,cramps, spotting, and might be pregnant (maybe chemical, maybe eptopic). Most likely another loss, which is exactly why I got the IUD to begin with

Sew Love For Love
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewloveforlove
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
mommamitchell
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a Mirena after son #2 was born. I get horrible cysts (have had 2 surgeris for them). The doctor thought it may help. It did the opposite. I had cysts constantly. I was in pain every month on one side or both sides. Thankfully the IUD exspelled itself after 10 months. We easily concieved 6 months later after TTCing for 2 months. I personally will never get another Mirena.
mommamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
crystallion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had Mirena between DS (2009) and DD (2012). It was not fun having it put in, and I could feel it for a few weeks, but after that it was great. Between breastfeeding and the Mirena I didn't have a period until I had it removed TTC. We done now but DH doesn't want anything permanent yet, so I was considering Paraguard, but avoiding it so far because even with insurance it's like $1K! Of course Mirena is too. But reading here has made me scared of the Paraguard. I don't know what to do...
crystallion is offline   Reply With Quote