Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Actual reasons for induction

Every day is torture for me. Right now I am sitting here hoping my "break-through" pain meds start working. I am in pain (6-7/10) and half hope that it kick starts labor like it did on Wed and half hope the pain meds will do their job.

The constant pain and the teasing "labor" is wearing me down mentally. I never wanted this for a pregnancy or to do this to a baby. When I found out I was pregnant, I thought maybe I would finally have a normal pregnancy. DS was finally calming down his behaviors, DD's issues were finally stable. And then I go to see my Urologist just to make sure that if I was going to have stones that we would not be reacting to them like I did during DD's pregnancy. And I find out I have 4 huge stones in both kidneys.

And now 22 weeks later, I thought that with everything I have done, I would be pain free until delivery. I have taken my meds without fail. Even the patch that I thought would be my "cure-all" turned out to be the worst thing ever. And now, being 36w1d, I wish for labor every day.

I had a severe pain attack on Wed. I was at the hospital registering myself and baby for delivery. I had to pee one more time before I went to my next errand. The 2 min walk back to my van was agonizingly slow. The pain got worse with every step. I was already at a 4/5 when I woke up that AM. I called my OB's office and they said if I was calling, that I must hurt enough to be seen. I re-parked my van closer to L&D and went in. I thought I would get a dose or 2 of Morphine and be on my way until the nurse told me I was contracting every 4-5 mins. And the got stronger and a bit closer together as time went on. Then I told the nurse that I was having some sharp pains internally. She checked me. 3cm dilated & 70% effaced. She immediately went to call my OB. And I was made to stay another 4 hours and even made some progress but after 2 of those hours, I stopped contracting. Even though I was 35w5d, I didn't care. I just want the pain to stop.

Advertisement

kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #22
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me, yes. I had a kidney transplant and my kidney function was dangerously declining. I was induced at 39 weeks to stop it. Pregnancy is hard on the kidneys. With my first the doctors induced me just because they feared for my kidney but the function was fine. I shouldn't have allowed it but I didn't know any better back then.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am looking at an induction this time we *think*. I have labors that last under 4 hours start to finish, and this is babe #4 in less than 7 years. I am 2+ hours from my new OB and new Hospital. That being said, my new OB is 100% AGAINST inductions unless there is a dire reason. Due to my PP bleed last time, he said he will check my cervix and the babe at 36wks and let me decide what I want to do next. He said he has no issues if it's something I want after 38wks, due to distance and the higer odds for a PP bleed again.
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #24
MyLovely
Registered Users

Honestly? I think that women are entirely capable of choosing what kind of birth they want, though anything elective shouldn't happen until full term (38-39 weeks). Once someone reaches that point though, I don't give two hoots why they elect to induce/section/birth at home in a shoe closet, it's their right. In your case OP, I would absolutely induce at 38 weeks and feel very proud about making it that far with all you've had dealt to you
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #25
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post
Honestly? I think that women are entirely capable of choosing what kind of birth they want, though anything elective shouldn't happen until full term (38-39 weeks). Once someone reaches that point though, I don't give two hoots why they elect to induce/section/birth at home in a shoe closet, it's their right. In your case OP, I would absolutely induce at 38 weeks and feel very proud about making it that far with all you've had dealt to you
Thank you. Every day is a struggle, heck even every hour because I don't know if a contraction will hit, my pain will come back, or if that pain will bring on contractions. I am awake @2am right now because my pain woke me up. I am not supposed to take any pain meds until 4am at the earliest and I am not sure I can wait that long. I am @e@yw3d today and wish this could be over now. I have an NST @9am with my OB where I will let him know what has been going on this weekend.

I know that baby should cook inside for as long as it needs to. But when staying pregnant is a detriment to the mother's mental well being, it is hard to say finish up the pregnancy. For I know that as soon as baby is out, my pain will stop and we can start the road to slowly and safely weaning off the meds together. I have tried tapering off now, but even not having enough pain control sent me into labor on Wed and I thought (plus my OB and a 2nd OB) thought I was having a baby Wed night. I am glad baby was able to stay put but at the same time, the knowledge of having to keep being in pain has been too much.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have high risk pregnancies too and if it's in the best interest of you and the baby, you should be induced. If there's truly a valid medical reason then inductions are not the worst case scenario.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tomorrow I go in for an amnio to check on the baby's lung maturity. I had another (still having it) pain this morning starting at 2am. It is now 18 hours later (and I have been awake this whole time too) and I am still in moderate pain.

My OB wanted me to get the amnio done today when I went in to L&D for pain control but they had no slots open. And depending on what the results are, I should be induced this week, if not next. And I have started Evening Primrose Oil and will start the suppository version tonight.

I am not doing well mentally with all this pain and the contractions it causes. My nurse today saw what happens when my pain gets to high; I have very strong regular contractions. But as I was watching the monitors to see how the contractions were, I noticed that when I had a bad pain spike, the baby's heart rate would also spike (140's to 160's). I never really paid attention to the baby's HR before when I was having these pain spikes but I noticed it this time and it saddens me that my pain is putting the baby through this.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
kmadavis85
Registered Users
seller

I'd discuss it with your dr. Sometimes the hospital will question an induction, so that could play a factor into it too.
kmadavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was a bit crazy and traveled 5 hours to my dr from start to finish. He was worth it, but I had to be induced at 37 weeks to make sure I didn't go into labor away from him.
august6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #30
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by august6
I was a bit crazy and traveled 5 hours to my dr from start to finish. He was worth it, but I had to be induced at 37 weeks to make sure I didn't go into labor away from him.
Wow..