Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:
Stories of VBAC after 3+ C/S?

I have had 3 c/s previously and NO vaginal births, other than my loss at 17 weeks. I have found a wonderful DR that is willing to give me a TOL to VBAC. So, I am looking for stories... successes and failures from those who never had a successful vaginal birth prior to their c/s and who also had multiple c/s before having a vaginal birth.

Here is a bit of my history... 1st baby, spontaneous labor but a too medicalized midwife that pushed for all sorts of interventions. Insisted on breaking my water at 5 cm with all sorts of promises that labor would go faster and I would have my baby. Well, that started the downward spiral... baby got stuck with wrong part of head presenting, never got past 5 cm and baby ended up in distress, so off to the OR it was for a c/s.

Baby 2- planned VBAC in the same office with a different midwife, but an over eager OB who insisted that I be induced 10 days early because she was worried about baby's size... BUT, I wouldn't let them break my water and they could only use the minutest amount of pit... like 1/10th what they would use for a regular induction with 1/10th increase every hour. So, after 8 hours, I still wasn't getting much pit, wasn't dilating and wasn't really contracting, so since I was there, why don't we just have this baby by c/s...

Baby 3- well after 2 c/s I was told I had no other choice but to have a c/s, unless I came into the hospital in active labor, but that shouldn't happen because we are scheduling you 10 days early...

Baby 4- ended with miscarriage. Had to be induced, so labored and delivered my son.

And now we are at baby 5 due mid March...

So, what can you tell me about your VBAMC? I really am looking for the good, the bad and the ugly! TIA!!!

Advertisement

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Raspberry Kisses
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stories of VBAC after 3+ C/S?

I'm attempting a VBAC in about 10 weeks, but this is only my second pregnancy.

I hope you find some answers!
Raspberry Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I had a VBAC after a C-section with my first. My doc was concerned about me going past my due date, so I had my membranes stripped. I went into labor within 12 hours. Went to hospital. I had INTENSE contractions and back labor so opted for an epidural. Once I was pretty dilated but had plateaued they ended up breaking my water, and giving me just a bit of pitocin. A few hours later I was fully dilated and pushed for an hour. I was in labor for a total of 12 hours. My doc was very supportive in that he never once suggested another c-section during the whole process, and once he tried an 'intervention' (like breaking my water), he would leave me alone for long periods of time to see how things went.

I'm planning on another vaginal with my 3rd. After doing more research I don't think I'll get my membranes stripped again, just wait for labor naturally.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Eph&Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I clicked on your post, not because I have advice but because I wanted to see what others said. I have pregnant with my 3rd. I have had 2 c-sections. I hadn't really considered a VBA2C but after reading some stories on the Birth Without Fear blog I might be changing my mind. They have a whole section on VBACs.

I don't think my doctor will do it. Which means finding one who would at 20+weeks. Not sure what to do.
Eph&Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a story to share, really, but I've checked the research on VBACs before, and your risks don't really go up much after more than one c-section. Of course, not many VBA3Cs are done, so the studies aren't that big.
My mother had 6 c-sections before being offered a VBAC with #7. Her doctor explained that there were risks either way, and it was up to her to decide which way to go. (she did end up choosing another section, I think because she was afraid of labour).
I'd recommend reading all you can on VBAC, and VBA2+C. There are a number of great websites out there that provide well-researched information. There are some risks either way - c-section is a major surgery, as you know, and uterine rupture, while rare, can happen. So you've got to make the best informed decision you can, because you're the one who will be taking on the risk!
If your doctor will give you a trial of labour, I'd say give it a shot! All the best!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have not had 3 c/s but I had 2 and went on the VBA2C with very little fuss. I also had and 8lbs 5 oz baby; it was a little easier to sell the medical people on because I had a prior vaginal birth but even if I didn't I would have still tried. Next time I am thinking home birth.

What were the "reasons" for your c/s?
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here you go mama! HBA3C Story.

http://banned-from-baby-showers.blog...just-mama.html