View Poll Results: Do you wait 24 hours after fever/vomiting to send you child to school?
Yep! Rules are rules! 60 82.19%
Nah, if they're not acting sick they go. 6 8.22%
It depends (but it shouldn't really...) 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #31
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you follow the 24-hour-rule?

what do you guys consider a high temp? We had this issue come up recently. On Saturday night he woke up in the middle of the night with a temp about 101 and we gave medicine. That whole next day, sunday, he had a temp ranging from 99-100.5 but never getting back up to 101, never gave more medicine. He went to bed at normal temp. he woke up monday with normal temp. We sent him to daycare/preschool. It was over 24hours since he had a temp of 101 but not ant temp higher than 98.6. It was over 12 hours since he was above normal (mostly while sleeping)

Was this bad form?

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes we wait, as a teacher I was a little shocked how many parents sent actually sick kids to school. They would tell me that their stomach hurt and after talking for a few minutes would admit that they threw up at home THAT MORNING and were still sent to school.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #33
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we follow it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #34
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes. I have watched my kids have a fever in the afternoon after school, break overnight, be fever free the next morning, and then come right back by afternoon. Maybe my kids are weird, but their fevers tend to cycle naturally instead of staying up until they are all done being ill. They come and go without medication.

Vomiting can be the same. In addition, if they have had an honest to goodness "stomach flu," they will be run down and empty and need time to refill and recharge after the vomiting stops. I couldn't imagine not feeding my child for 24-48 hours (typical duration around here) and then sending them to school. That's basically what stomach illness does to someone. Not to mention, sometimes the vomiting ceases about the same time the diarreah begins. I don't think it's nice to send a child to school with the runs!

ETA: Pet peeve. Everyone has a temperature even when they're dead in the snow. If the temperature is above normal, then they have a fever-not a temperature.

Last edited by mcpforever; 01-16-2013 at 06:43 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever
ETA: Pet peeve. Everyone has a temperature even when they're dead in the snow. If the temperature is above normal, then they have a fever-not a temperature.
OMG YES!!!!!

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #36
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Yes we do,it is rude to send a sick kid to school to infect everyone else then they each take it home and it just spreads through families. Not good at all.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #37
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We follow it pretty closely. The vomiting hasn't been an issue yet. With the fever, I might make a couple hours exception, but not much.

Although, she was sick Saturday and Sunday a couple of weeks ago, kept her home with no fever Monday. Sent her to school Tuesday and got a call after nap saying she had a 104 temp. I felt terrible!! I followed the rules, but we still infected the class.
and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #38
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes I follow it because I don't want others to get sick. It's easier now that I'm a SAHM .. when I was a WOHM, it was sometimes hard to skip work/find someone willing to watch your sick kid.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #39
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I sure do, and as a teacher I wish everyone else would too.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #40
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For vomiting, absolutely. For fever, if it's lower than 99-100 and goes away by lunch, I'll let them go the next morning if it doesn't come back. If it's higher than that? Nope. They stay home to recover.

Having said that, if the kids are vomiting, even if it's just reactionary vomit (like coughing too hard, or drank too much water on an empty stomach) we keep them away from our extended family for about a week, too. Vomit gets treated with the greatest paranoia.

Last edited by blossomgoat; 01-17-2013 at 11:26 AM.
blossomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote