Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
QuietLotus
Registered Users
seller

Returning to Work - nurse or pump on break?

Hi all. I'll be returning to work on Monday. I have an Ameda Purely Yours packed and ready to go, as originally I was planning on using my 30 minute break to pump (I have to walk somewhere private as there is no where to pump at my place of work.) However, DD will be in daycare 5-10 minutes (depending on weather and traffic) away and I'm wondering if I could possibly nurse her over my break instead? I'm afraid that 15-20 minutes won't be enough time for her to fill her tummy and that I might be able to provide more milk for her by pumping. It would be wonderful to spend that time with her, but I'm not sure if it's the best thing for her.
I'm also sure she will be hungry for more than one bottle while I am at work (8am-2pm,) as she nurses every hour or two at home unless she's napping. Should I pump after I put her to bed in the evening and see if I can get enough that way? I'm afraid I might have to supplement with formula for her "snacks;" I just don't see how people find the time to nurse and pump!

Advertisement

QuietLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
1healthylady
Registered Users

If it were me I would pump on your break. I've gone to the daycare 10 mins away on my hour long lunch break and felt like we had just enough time for her to eat with no time for me to eat. I can usually get enough for one feeding with a 15min pump. The routine that works for me now is wake up and pump, 45 mins later she nurses. I work from 8-5 with 2 pump breaks. She's usually asleep when I get home so I pump then, then nurse again when she wakes up, and sometimes again before bed - I try to keep her on the boob as much as possible in the evening. She's STTN from way early, so there's not a whole lot of nursing in my day anymore.

From the phone.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Returning to Work - nurse or pump on break?

if your break is only 30m that sounds like it would be stressful. 10m there and back leaves you with 10m maybe 15 to nurse and it never goes that smoothly. she'll not want to let you go or something and it will be hellish.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not do it either. I would pump. 30 minutes isn't much time can you extend your lunch at all or combine a break so you could get 45min.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
LillyLee
Registered Users
seller

Yep pump. It's hard enough leaving them the first time in the morning much less again in the afternoon.
LillyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
abbazabba
Registered Users

I think pumping would be a lot less stressful and easier on you. I pump as work and it works well for me. I just tune out the world for 20-30 minutes. I try to relax, look at pics of my little one and that seems to do the trick.
abbazabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you had an hour long break, it would be doable. But since it's only half an hour, I would pump instead.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote