Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #161
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
To the second paragraph, no. In small towns like mine during the winter fresh produce is sky high. Canned, boxed and frozen are cheap (non organic). Chips and frozen dinners are super cheap compared to a fresh balanced meal. Most store brand can be purchased for $1, and is loaded with junk. But fresh apples are $4.99 lb right now (non organic) and since 1 apple is pretty heavy, you can't get much for 1 lb or a family of say 4.
I have to know where you live that prices are that high. That is highway robbery. I lived in a town of 100 people. The nearby town of 3000 had a grocery store. The prices were nowhere near that high.

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #162
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Yes I'm aware of what is in season, it was just an example. *I* shop in season, this was just an example of what prices are like in the store that is available here, wasn't an example of what I actually buy. And I wasn't talking about frozen produce, I was talking about frozen dinners, they are a lot cheaper than a fresh balanced meal is what I meant. ( and not to be snotty, but I only cook with fresh food. I cook from scratch, which cean be cheaper, usually, than buying a weeks worth of boxed meals. That is if you know how to do it. I use to be a Chef ).

Not snotty at all. I am trying for that myself. Although because of prices frozen will have to substitute for fresh. I am not a chef but hope when my kids are older to go to school to become one.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #163
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
Nothing you said takes the blame away from parents. And nothing the government publishes encourages junk food, eating out nightly at a fast food place or sitting all the time.
If it were simple as blaming parents then the problem will be very easy to fix. We all know how every person's body differs. If it were as simple as having some sort or program and lay it out in front of them that works every single time we probably wouldn't have such problem in this country. But we still do because there are far too many variables that affect how people eat and pass that to their children. Chicken nuggets and pizza served in public school lunches including soft drink vending machines is unheard of in other countries. Why aren't there laws to protect children from eating such junk?

Besides the way I see these childhood obesity is that people need help. I don't look at these parents and judge their actions. I honestly feel bad for them and their affected children. I certainly don't expect every parents to know basic nutrition as much as it's supposedly taught in schools.

Just as an example how many people actually understand something as basic as consumption of carbohydrates and insulin level or glucagon's relationship with protein? It's not cut throat like eat x-grams of vegetables. protein, fat and carbs to stay healthy. It never was and never will be without significant change not only by the parents but serious overhaul in the system of educating people. But of course that will become very political so we probably shouldn't get into that.

Last edited by PBAki; 01-20-2013 at 08:25 PM.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote