Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #111
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Toddlers on a leash

I had the best, most hilarious, sarcastic (and rude) response typed up to this thread. Apparently I am feeling quite sassy lately with my preggo self. Instead I will say this:

I call them "seeing eye children"

I think it's hilarious.

I have no seeing eye children b/c my eyesight is fine.

Since I abuse my children regularly, they know not to leave my side, lest they suffer the wrath that will ensue.

...and yes, that is the toned-down version of what I wrote.... I'm sorry it's so mean. DS seems to be my outlet lately.

***In all seriousness, while I hate what it looks like, I think it's useful in certain circumstances. I could esp see it useful for kids who have special needs and are difficult to keep safe.

Personally, I teach my kids to stay nearby, and I discipline them if they don't, so it isn't much of an issue. Plus I am constantly saying "Hey, let's go this way. Hey, over here. Hey come on or I'm gonna leave you. Hey, stop eating your boogers, we're walking now, come on...."

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-17-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #112
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
ETA: No child learns to follow the rules the first try. It takes a lot of repetition and enforcement of the rules. Whether you contain your child on a harness, in a stroller, or by holding their hand, you are still containing them and limiting their choice until THEY are capable of remaining with you without the containment.
Yep, exactly, 100%. There really is no difference between any of them. Well, except that the leash allows a child to walk around, vs being tied up in a sling (and no I have no problem with slings-I use and make and sell them, I love them, they are fantastic) or straped into a stroller. And is certainly healthier for a runner than the death grip that the parent of a runner often exerts on said runner's hand when said runner is trying to run when walking across the parking lot at Walmart.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #113
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I bought a leash (It's a cute teddy bear like backpack) for DH at Christmas. He's over 6 ft tall and can not comfortably walk holding DD's hand. He's like to take her for walks around the block but if he has to stoop over to do it ... it just isn't possible. My son had a leash and I used it when we went walking on nature trails as a toddler. He got to run and play and I didn't have to worry about his safety. I'm 5 ft so carrying a 30lb to 40lb kid 2 miles is a bit more of a work-out than I'd care for. We have a jogger stroller and and carriers. But there are times where you don't want to push your kid around or carry them.

It's not like I'm ever going to tie my kid to the clothesline pole with it and leave them outside for an hour.

Of course, I also don't care what people think. I'm going to do what I think is best for my kid. If they don't like the leash.. Fine. They don't have to use one.
Ooo, I need a leash like that for MY DH!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #114
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I had the best, most hilarious, sarcastic (and rude) response typed up to this thread. Apparently I am feeling quite sassy lately with my preggo self. Instead I will say this:

I call them "seeing eye children"

I think it's hilarious.

I have no seeing eye children b/c my eyesight is fine.

Since I abuse my children regularly, they know not to leave my side, lest they suffer the wrath that will ensue.

...and yes, that is the toned-down version of what I wrote.... I'm sorry it's so mean. DS seems to be my outlet lately.

***In all seriousness, while I hate what it looks like, I think it's useful in certain circumstances. I could esp see it useful for kids who have special needs and are difficult to keep safe.

Personally, I teach my kids to stay nearby, and I discipline them if they don't, so it isn't much of an issue. Plus I am constantly saying "Hey, let's go this way. Hey, over here. Hey come on or I'm gonna leave you. Hey, stop eating your boogers, we're walking now, come on...."
This whole response almost had my pregnant self peeing.. lol. Seriously.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #115
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Those who are saying they teach their kids and they listen...how exactly do you do this? In all seriousness - leashes are meant for YOUNG children, right? 12-24 months perhaps? How exactly do you get a one year old to listen and stay with you?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #116
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
So do I. So do the vast majority of parents who use leashes. They just choose to do so using different tools.

And OMG, that running commentary?!?! How true is that.
"Rae Rae, come down this aisle, Rae Rae don't touch that, Rae Rae, stop, stop STOP. Drop that back on the floor. Gross. No we are not going to see the fishies, they are on the other side of the store. We have to get the sugar first. Rae Rae, get up off the floor. Rae Rae, don't climb under the grocery cart. "

Yeah, there's a number reason I refuse to shop with my children. That's certainly one of them lol
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #117
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Yep, exactly, 100%. There really is no difference between any of them. Well, except that the leash allows a child to walk around, vs being tied up in a sling (and no I have no problem with slings-I use and make and sell them, I love them, they are fantastic) or straped into a stroller. And is certainly healthier for a runner than the death grip that the parent of a runner often exerts on said runner's hand when said runner is trying to run when walking across the parking lot at Walmart.
I agree for the most part with one exception. The harness still gives them the reward of walking without them having to make a choice to hold hands. I think that may be part of what doesn't jive with those of us who haven't found a use for them.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #118
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Those who are saying they teach their kids and they listen...how exactly do you do this? In all seriousness - leashes are meant for YOUNG children, right? 12-24 months perhaps? How exactly do you get a one year old to listen and stay with you?
Yea I see what you are saying.

I don't let them walk when they are that young.

I am not opposed to leashes, I just hate the way they LOOK.

I would never fault a parent for using one if they felt it was their best option for their kid. I'm not saying "that's abuse!" just that I don't prefer it. okay, that I actually don't like it. lol. but my way isn't the RIGHT way or the ONLY way, it's just MY way.

My kids start walking in the store when they become too big to fit into the cart. Even then, I will sometimes make them sit in the basket part (instead of the seat part) if I don't have to pile too many items on top of them....

By then, they are around 4 years old, and they know how to walk by me, and if they can't they are in trouble.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #119
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

I guess I should add, my 3-5 yr olds are required to keep a hand on the cart all the time when we are out. The hand falls off, they get in trouble. 3 warnings, they get punished. They hold onto the cart as we walk through the store. This way I can always see them but they still have freedom of movement.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #120
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ya, agreed. I mean, my 3 1/2 year old still tries to bolt occasionally, but I wouldn't put a leash on him. I feel like he's too old and does need some sort of a consequence when he does it. If I smacked a leash on him how could I expect him to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes? But I think MOST people use them on very small children. I don't see any problem with it with 1-2 year olds. I remember one summer we went camping and every TWO FRICKEN seconds DS would climb the hill by the road. I'd go get him. Climb the hill. Go get him. I could have lost my mind. After and hour I seriously considered getting the dogs leash and chaining him to my chair Ya, whatevs. Call me bad mom.