Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #121
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Toddlers on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Ya, agreed. I mean, my 3 1/2 year old still tries to bolt occasionally, but I wouldn't put a leash on him. I feel like he's too old and does need some sort of a consequence when he does it. If I smacked a leash on him how could I expect him to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes? But I think MOST people use them on very small children. I don't see any problem with it with 1-2 year olds. I remember one summer we went camping and every TWO FRICKEN seconds DS would climb the hill by the road. I'd go get him. Climb the hill. Go get him. I could have lost my mind. After and hour I seriously considered getting the dogs leash and chaining him to my chair Ya, whatevs. Call me bad mom.
LOL!

It's ok b/c you would have chained him, and I would have "beat" him.

You see, we are one in the same.

No one really wins at the parenting game, ya know? We're all losers somehow.

And none of that was supposed to offend you, just to joke with ya a bit.

I have made my kids hold onto the pockets on the butt of my jeans once when I was carrying an armload of stuff and couldn't hold their hands in the parking lot. Now they WANT to hold onto the pockets on the butt of my jeans.... except I am wearing maternity pants, so I always wind up fighting to keep them up, while my two kids are on either side pulling them down.....

I am sure it is quite a sight... big old fat preggo lady, two kids attached to her butt, trying to pull her pants down, as she struggles to hold them up while simultaneously holding a 20 mo old..... Ah, I'm great entertainment, ya'll.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-17-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #122
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #123
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
People that think they are da debil a)have no kids, b) have kids that don't walk yet c) have perfect kids & like to tell themselves they have this parenting thing down d) I don't know this one but they clearly never met my boys <eep>

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #124
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They are handy sometimes. I used one for my oldest as a young toddler when in clothing stores. She was too independent to be happy in a stroller, but too quick and easy to lose sight of among racks of clothing. All my other kids were perfectly happy in strollers or carriers.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #125
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Those who are saying they teach their kids and they listen...how exactly do you do this? In all seriousness - leashes are meant for YOUNG children, right? 12-24 months perhaps? How exactly do you get a one year old to listen and stay with you?
For us, from the moment they start walking, when we are out, they have to hold hands or be carried/strollered/MT'd. We verbalize it, "If you want to walk, you must hold Mommy's hand." If they attempt to struggle or get away, then they get picked up. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. They will test. They will want to get down, refuse to hold hands, and be picked right back up. They will ask to get back down. They will be told, "No, you didn't hold Mommy's hand." We are insanely consistent.

DD learned the quickest and was content to walk holding hands or ASK to be carried. DS2 was the most stubborn and we were doing this well past 2, but he did eventually just hold hands. Then he turned 3 and wanted to be carried all the time!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #126
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
There is a formula readily available and its really simple. Don't allow them to walk in dangerous locations (Parking lot ,subway and so on) until you are sure that they have mastered the art of staying with you. DS was a runner but you know what if he did not obey and he chose to run or straggled off than he was contained in either a stroller or a carrier . He learned rather quickly that if he wanted the privilege of walking around like a big boy that he was to obey and stay with me.

Wow it must be nice to have perfect children. You should write a book. I guess I should send my kids to you to raise since I clearly suck at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Congratulations. Your child is soo much better than mine were. Give me your address and I'll send you an award for best parent of the year. I am not as wonderful a parent as you are. My children are also dumber than yours. They took a lot of time to get it through their stubborn heads they needed to stay with me. Because I didn't have my toddler on a leash she did get away from me. Up unil the point she escaped from me she was being very well behaved. We were 250 miles from home in a large town. I suppose I could have kept her confined at all times but that doesn't seem to be very nice for an active child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
So you contained your child when he didn't listen in order to teach him how to behave? Wow, that's like me putting my dog in her crate when she misbehaves in order to teach her the proper way to behave. It's terrible you treat your child like a dog.

Anyone wonder how many ppl that think leashes are the debil think spanking is just peachy...? I should make a poll LOL
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #127
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oye. To think this could of been a civil thread.... how stupid of me

Respect other peoples opinions. You DON'T have to like them. But everyone has a right. Being rude isn't going to make them.magically change their minds. Quite the contrary. Fight fire with fire I suppose.

Last edited by SamanthaLove88; 01-17-2013 at 04:10 PM.
SamanthaLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #128
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I love our leash.
I really could care less what everyone else thinks.
I know my kid is safe in a crowded place hand in hand with tail around my wrist just in case.
I am perfectly okay with being an imperfect parent.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #129
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
Oye. To think this could of been a civil thread.... how stupid of me
LOL not stupid...we'll just say you had amnesia.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #130
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've used one once, if I recall correctly. It was an outdoor event that wasn't stroller acceptable. It gave my daughter the flexibility to move throughout the venue, seeing the attractions and the kiosks, while safely toting by husband behind her without the threat of becoming separated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
Well yes I "went there" because it is what I think about leashes. She asked for opinions so I stated mine.

I believe that children are brighter and more intelligent than a dog so you could teach them to obey and walk along beside you.

Honest question if you don't lead your child with it than what exactly do you do?
Doh! Must teach my children to OBEY. This is where I've gone wrong all this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
You DRAG your dog on a leash?! That's just inhumane.

I had my dog lay down on the side of the road once during a walk. I didn't drag him, I walked home carrying 65 lbs of tired dog. Uphill, both ways, in the snow, with nothing but Ziploc bags on my feet.

Just kidding about the last part. It was August.

The few times we used the harness with my kids we held their hand while the loop end was around one of our wrists. It was a backup measure. Because when teaching, there's always that period of time where you're still teaching because they haven't completely caught on yet.