Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Toddlers on a leash

I was strongly opposed to leash and harness for my children until I had children. It took only once having my daughter yank her hand from mine, dart between some people, and crawl under a clothing rack to convince me of the benefits of a leash and harness for young children with the tendency to wander or run off. My daughter was found hiding on the furniture shelves giggling on the other side of the store. I never ever wish to hear a code ADAM again in reference to my child. 12 years ago I had to make my own as even the back pack style ones today were not readily available.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
I can see sometimes but as started I don't think needed for everyday use. I guess yews toy want to shop but then leave kids worth other adult or have friend come help to watch.moms have done with out them for many years. I guess leash to me means you are kinda lazy......but I can see it in like some stayed insurances. We have friendwho used with her kid just Pon walks. My hubby and I agreed we didn't think our was needEd .....
Actually moms had access to them long before most people considered taking dogs for a walk. Think leading strings sewn right onto a childs clothing. This would have worked similarly to the leash and harness today but put more pressure on just one part of the childs body.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_strings

I know it is wikipedia but leading strings were quite common in older times.

Attachment 130719

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-08-2013 at 08:17 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

I want a leash so badly. DS loves back packs and would happily wear one, although he will die before he holds my hand or sits in a stroller. Most of my friends and family swear they won't be seen with me if I use one. DH is too cheap to buy one. I still may get one...

ETA: we live in the city and walk everywhere down busy streets. Where I grew up the cat slept in the middle of the street and made the two cars that came down it a day go around her. Not here! There is lots of traffic, and many tourist drivers that are use to driving on the opposite side, we walk to the grocery store, farmers market, playground, ect.

Last edited by eahcapemay; 01-17-2013 at 12:30 AM.
eahcapemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I don't like or use them. The 2 1/2 yr old walks, gets worn or rides in cart
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They have their place.

My toddler has run out into the parking lot because she gets excited and forgets. I would have loved to have had a leash on her that day. She doesn't sit in a stroller for very long either. She weighs 30+ pounds and I have a 20lbs 10 month old too so wearing isn't an option, especially with my bad back.

Having one on your kid and jerking them around and ignoring them while they're on it? Not good.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's a tool that can be used or abused, like any other. We have one, a monkey backpack, that DD will ask for sometimes. We got it b/c she had started walking by 10 mos, & we went on a big week-long vacation to Virginia Beach w/ a bunch of people we didn't know (4 of DD's donorsib families) & she was 13 mos & running . We did Colonial Williamsburg, the aquarium, and a variety of other activities. Once she started walking, DD would have an absolute FIT if confined to a carrier or stroller when she wanted to be walking; she was still too short to hold hands comfortably, though she would do so sometimes; and she hadn't the common sense of a donkey (she was still a baby!)...so she was impulsive, we were in busy places, & she would take off. So we put the backpack on her, handle around my wrist & holding her hand. It was an insurance policy.

We've used it periodically when in busy places where we don't want to get separated from DD no matter what (i.e. when DP took her into Manhattan & they rode the subway), or when DD wants to flex her independence, like when she decided she didn't need to hold hands in the parking lot anymore, but I didn't trust her to walk right with me. Now she'll sometimes ask for it, usually when we're going to the zoo, mall, or something like that & she's having a particularly squirrely day--I think she knows when she's extra impulsive & it helps her feel safe. She's too big for the carrier, carrying her for very long kills my back, & she doesn't want to know anything about a stroller...so it's great for things like the State Fair or walking the few city blocks to the science museum or something. I think the leash has its place, but I don't "lead" her on it or yank her around on it like I see people do with their dogs (like I'd probably have to do with my dog if he ever wanted to walk around the neighborhood )

Last edited by carriek38; 01-17-2013 at 07:10 AM.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

In reference to the "I treat my child better than my dog" type of arguement-I put a leash on my dog for my dog's protection. I OF COURSE believe my child deserves as much protection as my dog. And since my child DOES need to be protected from herself, of course I will use a leash when necessary.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #19
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

When you have a runner, especially a special needs child, I think a backpack leash can be a handy tool. So far we haven't really used ours as DD2 prefers to use her stroller still as she can hide in it by pulling the shade down in overstimulating environments.

Now with #3 coming, I can see myself using one in situations where the baby needs the stroller and I need to keep track of DD2 (I'm thinking crowded mall situations, not just a walk around the block in our small town). I also just bought a nifty red handle made of soft plastic that attached to the stroller so your child can hang on to that while you walk. Hoping to have some sucess with that as I would prefer that to the harness at her age.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
In reference to the "I treat my child better than my dog" type of arguement-I put a leash on my dog for my dog's protection. I OF COURSE believe my child deserves as much protection as my dog. And since my child DOES need to be protected from herself, of course I will use a leash when necessary.
Thank you, I meant to remark on that, totally agree!