Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #31
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Toddlers on a leash

I'd use one. I don't have one, but I would use one.

Whether I am "restraining" a child on my back, in a stroller, on a leash, or in a basket, it is all for their safety, and to make sure they do not get away from me. No matter how it's done, the child isn't going anywhere unless I ALLOW them to. So, whatever.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not particularly in the mood for controversy, but I'll poke my head in here and say I don't care for them. I do have an excitable boy who has a nose for trouble, but I've stayed within my personal limit of two children and don't have a need for restraints on my kids.

Saying things like "horrifying" and "terrible" are incendiary and better for government propaganda, but on the spectrum of { good - necessary - distasteful - horrifying} I fall further to the right than to the left.

Last edited by danielle; 01-17-2013 at 08:19 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #33
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I believe that children are brighter and more intelligent than a dog so you could teach them to obey and walk along beside you.
I think it's FABULOUS that your child obeys you and walks along beside you from the very first time you tell them.

Most kids don't. And for those who are runners, I need to be sure that I have the TIME to teach her. It may take several weeks and months to teach a child to walk along beside you. I need to be sure that there isn't a single "learning opportunity" that results in tragedy.

And really, if you have the formula that teaches a child to immediately obey everything their parent tells them to, then package that baby up and sell it you will make millions.

Until that formula is actually available, I will recognize that, despite my child's greater intelligence...or perhaps because of it... she STILL needs to be protected from HERSELF at times. And because she needs that protection while she's using her greater intelligence to learn how to do what mommy tells her and walk along side me, I will absolutely respect her LIFE enough to provide exactly the kind of protection she needs, regardless of whether or not my dog also happens to require that same protection.

Quote:
Honest question if you don't lead your child with it than what exactly do you do?
Mama to Caiti (17), Rae Rae (4), Dani Lee(2), and CJ, born 10/12/12.
Stuff From Kim's Kloset That Special Moment Photography Also come check out Swagbucks with me!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #34
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have five kids. I have never used and will probably never use toddler leashes/harnesses. I have found baby wearing to be more effective and more helpful than a stroller or harness.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #35
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I also feel compelled to mention...

We have a leash, but haven't used it in forever. It's that monkey backpack one. Mostly I use the double stroller and my sling when I need to have all three small ones out on my own. Or, I put the baby and the 2 yr old in the stroller and the 2 yr old "helps" to push it.

And I don't feel all that strongly about them overall...I am just in the mood for a benign debate.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #36
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those that compare it to a dog being on a leash... the dog has to be leashed lawfully in public areas to protect the public rather than to protect the dog.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #37
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
I have five kids. I have never used and will probably never use toddler leashes/harnesses. I have found baby wearing to be more effective and more helpful than a stroller or harness.
Not being snarky, just a stinker, but...

If you have never used a toddler leash or harness you can't really say you find baby wearing to be MORE effective. A more appropriate statement would be that baby wearing has been so effective for you that you haven't found it necessary to try other options.

Yep, you can break out the wet noodle now, I am just in one of those moods.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #38
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one because my son saw it at a consignment shop and wanted it as a backpack. I haven't used it because I live in the middle of nowhere, my son is much more likely to be hit by a cow or goat or horse than anything else. But, I can see where used properly they could be very useful in crowded busy places.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #39
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
For those that compare it to a dog being on a leash... the dog has to be leashed lawfully in public areas to protect the public rather than to protect the dog.
That may be the LAW, but that's not why I leash my dog. I leash my dog for HER protection, not because of the law or anyone else's safety. My dog is a runner, just like my 4 yr old was, I keep her leashed so she doesn't take off running and get lost or hit by a car.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #40
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was against leashes for children (even after having 3 of my own) until I cared for one little girl. She was the poster child for needing a leash. I never did use one on her (although her mother did) but I understood for the first time why people would.

so now, when I see a child in public wearing a leash, I just commiserate, rather than judge. that mom or dad is clearly doing the best they can with what they have to keep their child safe.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote