Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #41
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't see a need for one in my every day life, but I am considering one for our trip to WDW This summer. DD will be 20 mos an she is already a runner and a stubborn little thing. Like others have said, we will teach her to hold our hand, but WDW is exciting and over stimulating and this can make even the most well behaved hold get caught up in the moment and just take off.

Advertisement

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #42
chillimom
Registered Users

Re: Toddlers on a leash

I have one that my grandmother gifted to my 2.5 year old DD for Christmas. It made me laugh hysterically - who gives a kid a leash as a gift?! I mean, yeah, it's a parenting tool, and she could have gifted it to me, but it was the kid's present? bwahahaha!

I digress though.

I've never used it, never will, but I don't have a huge problem with them. I don't like seeing them used as a lazy-parenting tool (where parents are paying no attention to the kid since it's on a leash). I think it would be useful if you had more children than hands and were going somewhere really busy (like the fair). In my case, DD will be almost 3 when the squish comes, and I plan to wear the squish full time (as I did DD), so will have my hands free to wrangle her if need be. But really, by 3, I expect she'll be fairly good about staying with me (right now she's a highly spirited holy terror ). If there was a child in between DD and the squish? I'd probably rely on either a leash or a stroller for the middle child. I don't see one as being "worse" than the other - they're both just ways of containing a child who doesn't have impulse control or fully developed ability to follow directions IMO.
chillimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #43
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was a runner. We still didn't use it. But I really don't care what others do. Do I cringe a little when I see other kids on leashes? Totally, but I also recognize that it is working for that parent and it's not abusive. I do think they have a time and place. Disney world? Heck yes. Day at the park? No. I was at our local children's museum where DS did pre-k and I saw a kid on one. He was about 3 and honestly in that case, it was lazy parenting. It was a slow day and the museum was practically empty. He was their only kid and mom and dad were both present. The poor kid was pulling on that leash like there was no tomorrow. Mom was chatting with a friend she happened upon. Sesame street was right in front of the kid. I thought he was going to have heart failure lol. Then, when the mom was done talking with her friend, she actually dragged the boy over to a different exhibit like he was an animal. Yes the boy should learn patience while adults are talking, but mom should have acknowledged the kid. Also, why take a child to an awesome place like a children's museum, then expect them to sit for 30 minutes while you catch up with a friend? Not realistic at all. Like any parenting tool, there are appropriate and inappropriate ways to use them. Some people do abuse them, not everyone of course, but those that do definitely give it a bad name for those that use it for their justifiable reasons.

Last edited by KLeeCW; 01-17-2013 at 08:38 AM.
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #44
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
For those that compare it to a dog being on a leash... the dog has to be leashed lawfully in public areas to protect the public rather than to protect the dog.
We have leash laws here, DH and I are one of the few people who actually follow it, mostly for our dogs safety, partly for consideration to other people who don't like/are scared of large dogs.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #45
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think if you have one child the harness is unnecessary, if your child is a runner you just need to be more vigilant. my dd runs sometimes, and if that happens she loses her privilege to walk around and have freedom, she gets carried, put in a cart or a stroller. Same goes if she refuses to hold my hand in a busy area or near a street or parking lot. I do see however how they are useful for large families, if you have 4 under 5 and are trying to make sure everyone is taken care of it can be a safety issue. I guess its just when I see a child at the very end of their leash pulling and sceaming while the mother looks the other direction and finishes her conversation. if its used for its intended purpose, only for an emergency bolt, but the child is still being taught to stay near mom, then ya go ahead, but not if its being used instead of actual parenting (which is what I feel most of the time when I see it)
P.S. my mom said I had a leash it just went on my wrist and it was only for busy areas like the mall, but I never did bolt.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #46
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennayoung99 View Post
I think if you have one child the harness is unnecessary, if your child is a runner you just need to be more vigilant. my dd runs sometimes, and if that happens she loses her privilege to walk around and have freedom, she gets carried, put in a cart or a stroller. Same goes if she refuses to hold my hand in a busy area or near a street or parking lot. I do see however how they are useful for large families, if you have 4 under 5 and are trying to make sure everyone is taken care of it can be a safety issue. I guess its just when I see a child at the very end of their leash pulling and sceaming while the mother looks the other direction and finishes her conversation. if its used for its intended purpose, only for an emergency bolt, but the child is still being taught to stay near mom, then ya go ahead, but not if its being used instead of actual parenting (which is what I feel most of the time when I see it)
P.S. my mom said I had a leash it just went on my wrist and it was only for busy areas like the mall, but I never did bolt.
How incredibly condescending...and I'll leave it at that
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #47
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought they were awful before I had kids. I've still never used one, but MAN I wish I had one for DS1 when he was 18 months-ish. It would have saved me a LOT of headaches.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #48
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not opposed to them, but I have never seen a need for my kids. I have 3 so far and the rule for all of them was that they could:
walk and hold a parent's hand
ride in the stroller
ride in the sling/MT/be carried

I am a bit of a nervous nellie so I require(d) my five and under to be in contact with me or safe in a stroller whenever we are out. Later they graduate to holding the grocery cart or stroller instead of my hand and if they let go, they go back to the earlier rules. I have to say that of anything I've ever taught my kids, I am probably the most intense about this.

With my first I was just a paranoid FTM. With my second, I had a willing hand holder and two hands. With my third, I realized I only had two hands so I had to teach/train my children to be safe regardless of whether I had some device (stroller, harness, carrier, cart) to assist me.

At this point, I can count on my 5.5 yo to hold her younger brother's hand (I hold his) or her older brother's hand (he's 10 and has graduated from hand holding for his safety) to stay safe.

Last edited by mcpforever; 01-17-2013 at 09:28 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #49
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennayoung99
To this, and those who call leash using "lazy", I don't get it. We use washers and dryers, not because we are lazy housewives too lazy to use a scrub board which works just as well, if not better, but because they get the job done, are efficient, and don't hurt anyone. Cops use cop cars, not because they are too lazy to ride a horse, but because they get the job done, are efficient, and don't hurt anyone. I use a stove, not because I'm too lazy to start a camp fire, but because it gets the job done, is efficient, and doesn't hurt anyone.

If a kids "leash" (although I'd prefer it to be called a mom on a rope) gets the job done, is efficient, and doesn't hurt anyone, who cares? To call it horrible, though (not the quoted poster, some other poster) seems a bit unhinged... Genocide, mercy killings, and child abuse are horrible. Mom on a rope? Not so much.

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 01-17-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #50
Chamomile Girl
Registered Users
seller

I only have one kid and I used a leash. He was a runner and we live on a very busy college campus. People drive like maniacs down our street not paying attention to anything but looking for a parking spot.

So when DS got to the point where he thought it was hilarious to pull his hand away and run into the street...damn straight we got a leash.

Luckily he doesn't do this anymore. He got hit by a bicycle and now he stays close.
Chamomile Girl is offline   Reply With Quote