Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much school has your LO missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
The laws depend on the state, I had one little boy when I taught kindergarten who missed over 20 days of school. No medical problems, no special reasons why, he just wasn't there.

In Ohio you are not required to attend school until 6, so in kindergarten it is very hard to "fail" based on attendance since most kids start at 5.

If you miss more than 15 days of school in a year, (without documented medical reasons) you cannot "pass". Though there are sometimes ways around it in special circumstances.

In some cases without documented excuses from school, parents can even be fined (this isn't counting sick days, more like kids who just don't show up)
Yeah, I actually used to know a mom that kept getting letters from the school saying her kids had missed "x" days, and that she was going to be fined $500 per child if they missed anymore school. They were willing to work with her on days that the children were sick, but missing for no apparent reason was no longer acceptable. She used to keep them home because she was lazy, refused to get up and get them ready, and didn't make them feel that school was important at all. It was a really crappy situation, but I'm glad the school was forceful about getting it taken care of.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My LOs are not in school yet. But ODDs (one away attending college & one graduating high school this spring) have both had perfect attendance years & years with over 10 absences due to hospitalzations related to their blood disorder. The oldest was ill several times her senior year & still had no problems maintaining her status as class president. Elliptocytosis hasn't stopped either of them from signing soccer scholarships. Luckily #2 has had a healthy senior year.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is in Kindy and has missed 6 days so far. 2 were for a vacation, and 4 because she was sick. She has been in preschool a couple days a week since 18 months. But she still managed to get stomach flu and pinkeye.

Here, if you miss 10 days, they have a parent conference. At 15 days, you go to truancy court.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ds1 5th grade 3 days. 1 for illness and 2 this week for dyslexia testing. Ds2 2nd grade perfect attendance so far
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My kids grew up in an Early learning Center so have managed to miss almost no school. My dd missed 1/2 day of Kindergarten, 0 days in grade one and so far 0 in grade 2.
My son just recently missed 1/2 day of Kindergarten.

I think if your child is sick than he is sick and you are looking out for his physical well being. I don't think it will negatively impact him. I think if you were just letting him miss school for no reason it would be different
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

My almost 6 year old dd in K has missed 5 days due to being sick in December (we think it was the flu, but never had her tested). She also missed 9 days in October while we went on vacation. My brother got married back home (we're in NY, family is in ND), so we went back for the first time in well over a year.

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:
My DS is in K this year and missed over 10 days between school starting and Christmas. He either had a fever or was vomiting/diarrhea every single absence. Most times it started on Friday so we got lucky with the weekend. He goes to a very small school and he is still constantly sick. It is exhausting. I am praying that the second half will be a little easier on him.

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
sojomisa
Registered
seller

My 6th and 4th graders haven't missed any. My pre-K kid has missed 2, I think, none related to illness though, we had friends over/doc appts etc.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
xtin
Registered Users
seller

Mines in kindergarten and has missed 1 day this year when they sent her home vomiting.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but I know my kids were simply exhausted when they started school. That's a big adjustment for little kids. So, he might be saying he isn't feeling well, but he may just need a break. And it's true that being exposed to all the germs is hard on Kindergarteners. He'll be fine.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote