Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

detergent question/wash routine with HE top loader

Hi Mama's!
When I cd'd my dd I still had an old washer... never had a problem with getting clean diapers with my routine...
I have been looking through the forums trying to find the best info for HE top loader, but haven't been able to pinpoint anything...

question for you HE top loader users...
can you share your routine? And also your preferred detergent?
I saw alot of posts about Tide F&G, but couldn't tell if ppl were using that in regular washers or HE... I have combo of synthetic and natural fabrics... would love input on best detergent for both together (if that's possible that something exists!)

Thanks so much!! The less "experimenting" I have to do with a nb, the better!

Advertisement

maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: detergent question/wash routine with HE top loader

Anyone?? Would love some help with this!! Thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
ashleyg103
Registered Users

I have a tl he machine, I use liquid tide, i tried the free and gentle but found regular worked better for me. I use a mix of prefolds and pockets w/microfiber. First I do a rinse on the sheets/towels setting on warm, then I do a wash with a full cup of detergent im washing around 28 diapers with my twins on hot with an extra rinse on the sheets/towels setting, then a do an final warm/cold wash on the sheets/ towels setting to make sure everything is rinsed out. It seems like a lot but everytime I try to shorted the length of washings I keep getting a skunky smell out of the wash. Even with this routine every couple weeks after everything if done I do and extra bleach wash on just the inserts to get them really clean. And for my nighttime inserts I rinse them out in the morning and let them sit in some oxyclean for a while then rinse them out before going into the wet bag. I hate my he machine I wish I could just get a regular machine I feel like with my routine Im probably using more water/electricity its crazy!
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyg103 View Post
I hate my he machine I wish I could just get a regular machine I feel like with my routine Im probably using more water/electricity its crazy!
that's exactly what I'm worried about

Thanks for the input - I am just building my nb stash and also have my cd's from my dd (who is now 3 1/2)... we haven't used them in a year and a half and with the new washer - it's like a whole new world!!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
triplea
Registered Users
seller

I had all pockets with mf, bamboo, and hemp inserts. My routine was warm rinse, bulky item(comforter setting) hot wash with Tide liquid and baking soda, 2nd hot wash on bulky item setting (no detergent), then an extra rinse cycle. I don't know if your machine has a comforter setting, but I found that was the one that had the most water. It was different than the sheet setting or the heavy duty setting. I still never really felt like the detergent was completely out. I have heard that BS helps with the rinsing cleaner. I have also heard that Tide powder rinses better, but I never tested the theory.
triplea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!! It seemed as though the majority of posts I found on the forum used regular detergent (not HE or plant based)... but some of the posts don't mention regular machine vs. HE machine. I have a "bulky" setting I can try!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
jmb162
Registered Users
seller

I just bought a new HE FL and I'm using Tide F&G HE liquid. I can let you know over the next week or so how washing goes with the detergent. I know there may be a difference with TL vs FL.

I washed a load last night and they came out smelling clean, but the routine was a disaster since I'm still learning how to use the machine. :/
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb162 View Post
I just bought a new HE FL and I'm using Tide F&G HE liquid. I can let you know over the next week or so how washing goes with the detergent. I know there may be a difference with TL vs FL.

I washed a load last night and they came out smelling clean, but the routine was a disaster since I'm still learning how to use the machine. :/

That would be awesome if you could update me!!! Thanks