Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Party Ettiquette

So today was ds's bday party. One of his friends showed up but didn't want to stay. Both his parents tried convincing him but no dice. So after about 20 min in the foyer of the venue they left. Should I have sent their present with them? I feel bad they had to buy a gift and not get to at least enjoy the party! This is not an isolated event btw, their son often doesn't want them to leave him at school, friends houses etc so I suppose they must expect it to some degree. DS opened the gift before I even realized it was from the child that left. Should I do or say anything? I'll be sending his goody bag to school on Monday.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Party Ettiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
So today was ds's bday party. One of his friends showed up but didn't want to stay. Both his parents tried convincing him but no dice. So after about 20 min in the foyer of the venue they left. Should I have sent their present with them? I feel bad they had to buy a gift and not get to at least enjoy the party! This is not an isolated event btw, their son often doesn't want them to leave him at school, friends houses etc so I suppose they must expect it to some degree. DS opened the gift before I even realized it was from the child that left. Should I do or say anything? I'll be sending his goody bag to school on Monday.
We have had some incredibly withdrawn friends in the past; thank goodness they have grown out of it. I would have a chat with one of the parents and say you are concerned. You could ask them if there is anything you can do to help for future events. Would it help if one of the parents could stay?

I think expressing your concern and regret that the kid didn't stay and thanking him for the gift is appropriate. Very sweet of you to send the goody bag, too.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Giving the gift back would have been awkward. I agree that reaching out to him would be good. Maybe the kid would do better with a one on one play date vs a party?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok that makes me feel better. He has been to our house twice actually! His mom stayed for a bit the first time and then left and he was fine. The second time she didn't need to stay at all. They told me he was afraid of the museum where the party was today.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think if they left the gift then it would be weird to return it. I mean who takes back a gift even if they have to leave sweet of you with the favor bag though
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I think a birthday present is a gift, not a party ticket, so it would not have been okay to return it, and great idea to send the goody bag- would just package it up so it doesn't all get pulled out at school.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
I think a birthday present is a gift, not a party ticket, so it would not have been okay to return it, and great idea to send the goody bag- would just package it up so it doesn't all get pulled out at school.
Yes to this!
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If I were that child's parent, I would have expected you to keep the gift. No questions about it!
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
Yep. I would also have ds write/draw a thank you note to send with the goody bag since his friend wasnt there to recieve a thank you in person.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahknavy View Post
Giving the gift back would have been awkward. I agree that reaching out to him would be good. Maybe the kid would do better with a one on one play date vs a party?
I agree. I wouldn't give the gift back because it would just make them feel bad. But I'm sure he will like the goody bag.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote