Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
question..lano clumps

When i lanolize i wash the wool with burts baby wash and rub any specific dirty spots with a wool wash bar(ewe need it), soak a couple mins then drain and push excess water out, they are inside out the whole process. I warm water in the microwave in a mug for 1min and dissolve about half a tsp lanisoh and some wash and stir it till it dissolves, i cool it with an ice cube(doesnt clump when i do that), fill the sink with room temp water put the wool in and add the lano water directly on top of the wool, every time it chunks up right away in the new water. I let it soak half an hr anyway, turn it rightside out and towel dry it and hang it in front of the fan(lol is this part bad?) the wool is usually sticky but isnt always lanoed in spots so it wicks away a dipe and starts smelling and needs washing after only 2 uses with a wet dipe or so. Do i need more lano or am i doing something wrong? I figured since its clumping its either temp change or too much but ive adjusted several times and it didnt help.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: question..lano clumps

Forgot to add, im washing 2 soakers at once and ive read diff stuff all over so figured id see if someone knows the specific problem
Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tried adding more lano and baby wash amounts in your mix. Also, no need to cool it with an ice cube. Once you mix is nice and milky white, with no clumps, just pour it directly into your bath water. Mix the water a bit to ensure the lano mix is properly dispersed in the bath and then add your wool. Hanging dry in front of a fan is fine. I spin mine out in the washer and hang on a drying rack.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

THanks, i think i saw on the sloomb or youtube where they cooled it w an ice so i figured thats what you do. Ive only have 2 soakers and they seem to need washing too quick so id like to be able to use them exclusively, and we are in the PLing process so it isnt like im even using many dipes! how much lanolin should i use do you think? I read some places you only need a pea size amount and others said a tsp per item.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree no ice cube. It's clumping because it's getting cold. So tepid water, then add the lano, making sure it's distributed evenly in the water. Then add the wool and soak. To felt it needs hot water and agitation so warm water and just adding the wool will not harm them.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it doesnt clump when i add the ice though, it clumps when i add it to the sink, maybe the sink water is too cold, its about the same temp as water that sits on the counter all day. I guess i dont understand what "tepid water" is lol, an actual temperature would be more helpful. THey arent felted at all, a lil fuzzy though, i swuish them in the water a little bit but im not agitating like a washing machine would. if i put them in hot water like 100 degrees and didnt agitate at all would they felt?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lukewarm or warm but not hot. Yes I meant the sink water is not warm enough. The lanolin is reverting back to solid form because of the temp. I also like to spray some lanolin in the wetzone for a little extra protection.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes warmer sink water, no ice. I'd try using two tsp of lano for two soakers. Too much lano won't hurt your wool, it will just make it feel sticky. But the stickiness will go fade with wear (usually the first time it's worn) and soften baby's skin (bonus!).
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote