Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Could this be safe?

I like the idea of this, but as it is, I think the slits would interfere with the straps on a seat. So I guess my question is, IF you made it out of thin fleece or flannel (no bulkier than a fleece jacket or body suit) AND instead of those tiny looking slits that look like they pinch the straps you did big boxes, could it be safe? By boxes I mean make rectangle openings in the back wider than, and longer than the area the straps are in. My son hated the car unless "swaddled". But because we could only tuck it in from the top, he'd wiggle out and then scream. I'm pretty sure my SIL is planning on making one of these (I found it on her pinterest) for her baby due soon. She doesn't follow car seat safety, and won't listen to a thing I say about it. But I'm thinking maybe if I beat her to making it, and give it to her, then at least I could maybe make one that won't interfere with the straps as much. I'm not sure how much it will help since she never tightens them enough, but it would make me feel better that I tried. So, anyway, what do you think, ya or big fat uh-oh?
http://www.whatsnewtablet.com/DIYqui...by-car-seat-b/

Advertisement

slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
mamabby
Registered Users
seller

I think this looks awesome. They already sell those bundle me things in stores that go under the baby and then zip up so I can't see why this wouldn't be safe. Very cute!
mamabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: Could this be safe?

Bundle Me's and the like aren't actually safe, unless you totally cut the back out so it doesn't interfere with strap placement and tightness. So kinda pointless. I'm kind of iffy on this too, unless you could make it so the back is a big rectangular opening and it is only yhe head and bum keeping it in position. If that makes sense!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
Bundle Me's and the like aren't actually safe, unless you totally cut the back out so it doesn't interfere with strap placement and tightness. So kinda pointless. I'm kind of iffy on this too, unless you could make it so the back is a big rectangular opening and it is only yhe head and bum keeping it in position. If that makes sense!!!
That's kind of what I was envisioning. Except, leave a small strip of fabric down the middle so it still "looks" like the tutorial . Just make all the holes MUCH bigger. And the ones in the tutorial look really puffy and almost quilt like, so of course making it much lighter weight would be important. I just don't want to make something that isn't completely safe, kwim.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just because "they" sell something doesn't make it safe. There are actually no crash test standards for those products to meet so that little "crash tested" blurb on the package means nothing. They could have thrown it against a wall and called it crash tested.

OP, If you make the material thin and make strap holes that are at least as wide as the straps, it *should* be okay. With those precautions in place I would still be worried about the baby overheating but it doesn't get all that cold here so my view could be skewed.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My question is how is that blanket think, if made from fleece and different than putting a fleece jacket or a sweater or sweatshirt on a baby. It would be the same thickness.

I think it looks great. It is cold here and I always worry about the baby getting to hot in the car so usually she is just in her normal clothes and I tuck a blanket around her but on really windy days (and we get lots of them) the blanket flys around when we are outside. This would at least stay a little better.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Probably ok, but I wouldn't personally do it for my kid. We use a shower cap style cover here. I also like the thicker minky carseat canopy covers. The minky ones are plenty thick for running between the warm car and a store. (ETA: I would NOT use the carseat canopy brand minky seat covers. just the poncho thing that hooks on the handles and drapes over the seat.)
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-19-2013 at 10:25 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
Just because "they" sell something doesn't make it safe. There are actually no crash test standards for those products to meet so that little "crash tested" blurb on the package means nothing. They could have thrown it against a wall and called it crash tested.

OP, If you make the material thin and make strap holes that are at least as wide as the straps, it *should* be okay. With those precautions in place I would still be worried about the baby overheating but it doesn't get all that cold here so my view could be skewed.
It was -10 here when I left for work a few days ago, and it's been running right around 5 degrees for a high many days. I don't think we have to much to worry about on it being to hot. It's so cold here, we frequently have to bundle them up, wrap a blanket around them, and put a shower cap cover on. Then as you drive you may have to stop and remove a few layers (or in her case one of the other 4 kids in the back can do it. But then we have to layer them all back up again. And frequently it takes 20 min of driving before the car is actually warm.

Ok, thanks for the input. I realize that the bundle me's exist but that doesn't make them safe. I've used one (before I knew better) and I found it very annoying because I couldn't tighten the straps properly. I was always making the openings wide, and pulling it up to actually get my straps tight. I eventually ripped the velcro out of the openings because it interfered with the straps and bugged me. So even then I knew something was wrong, I just didn't understand why. So, that's why I'm worried about something like this where it's so similar would make it even worse for her to get her straps tight.