Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #101
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeccarelli View Post
I am watching this heated argument and I would like to weigh in. I see both sides of the story here.

Ok, so I looked at Alvas when I first started. We had NO money for diapers and a friend was lovely enough to supply me with 2 gDiapers and 15 liners...one day's worth. We did sposies at night. Then I learned about Alvas. A local CDing mom gave me one, plus she gave me some prefolds and two blueberry covers (that was amazing) and I hated the Alva. The quality was crap and I could tell right away.

I saved and bought some Sunbabys (yes customs can hold them but they are never confiscated)...hey I was broke and needed another set of diapers. Quality? MUCH BETTER. Then I was lucky enough to meet a mom who gave me BG pocket. Still better! Even used!!!

That being said:
1. USA products are higher cost because our wages are higher plus insurance costs and all that. Please don't say they are piking their prices, if the item is made here, it cost them a pretty penny to do that.
2. Generally speaking I will NOT buy USA. Why? The quality is garbage worthy at best. This is not the case with diapers as far as I have seen. This industry is still worth what they charge.
3. Not everyone can afford US diapers. Period.
4. While not all knock offs are in violation of patents, they all have stolen proprietary ideas. This extends to WAHM diaper makers as well. While the companies leave them alone they are infringing on those patents. By making the purchases anyone who does so is absolutely condoning it. I say this because everyone is attacking the Chinese, but WAHMs here do it as well. And we say it is ok. It is not.
5. Just because the company has a compliance certificate does not mean chinese working conditions are good. By purchasing from them those conditions are being supported. Say what you will. This is a fact.
6. Just because they have a compliance certificate does not mean the manufacturers are compliant at all times. Walmart has proven that to us all.

I look at it this way:

Those who can afford the pricier diapers...buy them
Those who can't...find another route. It is not my job to judge anyone. I don't know their situation.
Everyone should buy what they are comfortable with. If we don't condone the items they are buying, fine, but ultimately it is their choice.
If I could afford American made products all the time I would be glad to own them (so long as they were not poorly made). Unfortunately, I and many other people cannot afford them. Once I save more money I will be buying more BGs because I feel the quality is far higher than the chinese made diapers.
I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I can't really afford a stash of American made diapers. My husband has been unemployed for a year! I have sold so much stuff to buy what I have including most of my gold jewelry. My husband isn't going to get a good paying job with livable wages in this economy if nobody wants American. You make sacrifices to do the right thing. I want a better economy, fair wages & fair labor practices for all. And no chemically smelling diapers packaged in dollar store baggies to put on my baby's reproductive organs when it comes to cloth.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Advertisement

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #102
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tell me about Alva pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I can't really afford a stash of American made diapers. My husband has been unemployed for a year! I have sold so much stuff to buy what I have including most of my gold jewelry. My husband isn't going to get a good paying job with livable wages in this economy if nobody wants American. You make sacrifices to do the right thing. I want a better economy, fair wages & fair labor practices for all. And no chemically smelling diapers packaged in dollar store baggies to put on my baby's reproductive organs when it comes to cloth.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
I get that. I have been selling stuff on CL so I can buy some flats and pfs because they are the cheapest! Like I said, I tried the cheapies...I like my sunbabys, but the snaps keep popping off and I don't want to keep replacing them. When I expressed that to DH he said to get rid of some stuff and get flats! Ok. Will do. I want some BGs, but those are going to have to wait because of cost

I tend to buy japanese and german made items. I also like Canadian and Australian made as well. And DH has NO problem contacting the locals here to make things in trade. I am trying to find someone who will make me fitteds in exchange for me doing something for them. We all do what we can.

Like I said, I hated Alvas. I don't care how cheap they are...they are still bad diapers. They were thin and flimsy. I forgot to mention Kawaiis...I own a few of those as well. I like them a ton more.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #103
77Lipen
Registered Users

Kawaii is a Canadian company that uses a manufacturer in china. I resent they keep being thrown in as china cheapies.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #104
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Lipen View Post
Kawaii is a Canadian company that uses a manufacturer in china. I resent they keep being thrown in as china cheapies.
Why do you resent it? They aren't much different than Alva or Sunbabies.

Last edited by fluffycheeks; 01-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
fluffycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #105
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeccarelli View Post
I am watching this heated argument and I would like to weigh in. I see both sides of the story here.

Ok, so I looked at Alvas when I first started. We had NO money for diapers and a friend was lovely enough to supply me with 2 gDiapers and 15 liners...one day's worth. We did sposies at night. Then I learned about Alvas. A local CDing mom gave me one, plus she gave me some prefolds and two blueberry covers (that was amazing) and I hated the Alva. The quality was crap and I could tell right away.

I saved and bought some Sunbabys (yes customs can hold them but they are never confiscated)...hey I was broke and needed another set of diapers. Quality? MUCH BETTER. Then I was lucky enough to meet a mom who gave me BG pocket. Still better! Even used!!!

That being said:
1. USA products are higher cost because our wages are higher plus insurance costs and all that. Please don't say they are piking their prices, if the item is made here, it cost them a pretty penny to do that.
2. Generally speaking I will NOT buy USA. Why? The quality is garbage worthy at best. This is not the case with diapers as far as I have seen. This industry is still worth what they charge.
3. Not everyone can afford US diapers. Period.
4. While not all knock offs are in violation of patents, they all have stolen proprietary ideas. This extends to WAHM diaper makers as well. While the companies leave them alone they are infringing on those patents. By making the purchases anyone who does so is absolutely condoning it. I say this because everyone is attacking the Chinese, but WAHMs here do it as well. And we say it is ok. It is not.
5. Just because the company has a compliance certificate does not mean chinese working conditions are good. By purchasing from them those conditions are being supported. Say what you will. This is a fact.
6. Just because they have a compliance certificate does not mean the manufacturers are compliant at all times. Walmart has proven that to us all.

I look at it this way:

Those who can afford the pricier diapers...buy them
Those who can't...find another route. It is not my job to judge anyone. I don't know their situation.
Everyone should buy what they are comfortable with. If we don't condone the items they are buying, fine, but ultimately it is their choice.
If I could afford American made products all the time I would be glad to own them (so long as they were not poorly made). Unfortunately, I and many other people cannot afford them. Once I save more money I will be buying more BGs because I feel the quality is far higher than the chinese made diapers.
Well said mama! The first few alvas i had were not the best quality but the ones i got abot 8 months later were waaaaaay better. I think they made some changes. I would love to own a ton of the higher quality diapers because my bg's are stilly favorite but i do still lobe my alvas and i can afford them
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #106
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks

Why do you resent it? They aren't much different than Alva or Sunbabies.
Because its ok for American companies to use china companies and they aren't being called china cheapies and that by purchasing those diapers supports American companies.
But purchasing a Canadian diaper manufactured in china is cheap.
It's an American/Canadian thing.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #107
77Lipen
Registered Users

And they are different.

There is a wet zone barrier in the front and covered back pocket
As well as side snaps much further apart to prevent the front from slipping out.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #108
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

I still don't understand why you would "resent" it unless you are affiliated with them.

Also, I'm totally not convinced that they are not China cheapies. I bought some when I first started CD'ing a few years ago. The packaging that comes with it is/was identical to the stuff that comes with Alva. And their old prints were also identical to some of the Alva prints.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #109
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
I still don't understand why you would "resent" it unless you are affiliated with them.

Also, I'm totally not convinced that they are not China cheapies. I bought some when I first started CD'ing a few years ago. The packaging that comes with it is/was identical to the stuff that comes with Alva. And their old prints were also identical to some of the Alva prints.
I own both and I don't think they are anything alike, I really dislike the fit of the Kawaii, they a super bulky imo. The pul on the kawaii is also a lot thicker than the alvas and the sunbabies I have, and the insert is completely different (wider, thicker, longer, and maybe a little better materials, but I am not sure).
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #110
77Lipen
Registered Users

Because I'm in Canada and prefer to support our economy than the US.
So I'm affiliated by nationality.

I also have giggle life another Canadian diaper that is manufactured in china.

I like them all (well not as big a fan of kawaii but that's cause the hips are lower and my girl has giant thighs).