Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #161
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tell me about Alva pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Lipen View Post
And yes, I do think 5-10 is the value of cloth diapers and the overall mark up by other companies is driven by 'name brand' preppy parents.
No. it costs a boat load to use higher end materials, get the testing, pay for licensing and taxes and whatnot. Running a legal business is costly. If the items are made stateside that cost jumps exponentially because we are paid so much more here. The margins are only good when the item is sold in high numbers.

Advertisement

abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #162
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Alibaba is an online marketplace/listing service. Overseas factory manufacturers list their "generic" items for purchase, usually in super-bulk quantities, for companies to pick up and slap their labels on. Water bottles, Ethernet cords, cloth diapers, baby dolls, whatever. If the item is in violation of a patent in any country, the patent number is listed and any importer is responsible for editing the product before it goes into any consumer's hands.

This is, quite simply, how mass production commerce works. In and of itself it's not shady. When it comes to baby items, however, US standards require CPSIA compliance in order for the import of the product to be legal. Additionally, Alibaba is not responsible when a listing manufacturer is mis-labeling to get around customs requirements. I can't speak to other markets, but in the "China cheapie" industry, there's a common thread of shady practices, including illegal import practices.
Okay. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #163
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Alibaba is an online marketplace/listing service. Overseas factory manufacturers list their "generic" items for purchase, usually in super-bulk quantities, for companies to pick up and slap their labels on. Water bottles, Ethernet cords, cloth diapers, baby dolls, whatever. If the item is in violation of a patent in any country, the patent number is listed and any importer is responsible for editing the product before it goes into any consumer's hands.

This is, quite simply, how mass production commerce works. In and of itself it's not shady. When it comes to baby items, however, US standards require CPSIA compliance in order for the import of the product to be legal. Additionally, Alibaba is not responsible when a listing manufacturer is mis-labeling to get around customs requirements. I can't speak to other markets, but in the "China cheapie" industry, there's a common thread of shady practices, including illegal import practices.
Can you link me to were it shows this about the Alvas? I am not familiar with that site and can't seem to locate it.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #164
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy

Can you link me to were it shows this about the Alvas? I am not familiar with that site and can't seem to locate it.
Tonight when I'm not mobile I'll take some screen shots.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #165
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeccarelli View Post
No. it costs a boat load to use higher end materials, get the testing, pay for licensing and taxes and whatnot. Running a legal business is costly. If the items are made stateside that cost jumps exponentially because we are paid so much more here. The margins are only good when the item is sold in high numbers.
And... as a retailer... if we sold cloth diapers for 5 - 10, we would lose money. Most sites, mine included, offers free shipping over xx (and it's usually not very high) and average shipping has got to be $5+.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #166
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I would prefer links if possible, so I can verify for myself. No offense, I don't take anyone's word for pretty much anything I can't verify for myself. I am open to the information, I just haven't seen any concrete evidence yet to back up any claims.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #167
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks. I was just going to ask you where the numbers were that you were talking about.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #168
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I would prefer links if possible, so I can verify for myself. No offense, I don't take anyone's word for pretty much anything I can't verify for myself. I am open to the information, I just haven't seen any concrete evidence yet to back up any claims.
Maybe seeing a screenshot though will help you figure out how to find the info? I'm really curious to see this too.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #169
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Maybe seeing a screenshot though will help you figure out how to find the info? I'm really curious to see this too.
I suppose, just as long as I can go to the site myself and find it I would be interested. I did see that they have had some form of lead testing, there was a certificate linked to one of their listings.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #170
March
Registered Users
seller

Go look around for yourself, I guess. I've only seen it quickly on a coworker's computer, right after the FuzziBunz Shark Tank episode when we were talking about the nature of that type of commerce and how it works in reality vs how it would work if things were done legally and above-board. It will take me a while to navigate and locate that stuff myself, and I have a houseful of sickies today.
March is offline   Reply With Quote