Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Trying to understand OPK test and results. When is actuall ovaltion.

Okay so yesterday the line was a dark. And then today is dark but a bit lighter than control line.

Now from reading the online instructions. It says that when you get the super dark line, that is not actually ovalation but it will be in 24 hours to 48 hours - is that true.

So today while it is lighter, am I actually ovalting now.

It there anyone who actually thinks they ovalating of the day that their test was dark, and not 24 hours or more later?

SO would actually day of ovaltion show no line or very very light?

Advertisement

Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trying to understand OPK test and results. When is actuall ovaltion.

Ovulation is generally 12-48 hours after the positive test. If yesterday's was positive and today it's negative, then you are either ovulating today or tomorrow
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
mommyto3sweeties
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
Ovulation is generally 12-48 hours after the positive test. If yesterday's was positive and today it's negative, then you are either ovulating today or tomorrow
Yes, this.
mommyto3sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did I also read right, somewhere, that you can get a postivie OPK just before your period will start, that the hormone goes up then as well?
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7arrows4God View Post
So today while it is lighter, am I actually ovalting now.
Probably, or you already have. Ideally though, you want to have already had sex and have the sperm locked in place and ready for an egg. Sperm can survive for days inside of the body, especially when a woman is gearing up to ovulate. The sperm that is most likely to fertilize the egg is already there and waiting when the egg is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
This is generally true. Women with longer cycles may have false positives as their body gears up to ovulate, but actually fails to pull all the way through. This can happen several times over the length of a long cycle before an actual egg is released. I used to have this happen to me all the time.

Quote:
Did I also read right, somewhere, that you can get a postivie OPK just before your period will start, that the hormone goes up then as well?
I have never come across this information before and I'm pretty well educated on the subject. I've done ovulation tests daily through entire cycles in the past. I have found the exact opposite to be true. The second line on the test fades out entirely as your period begins. However, hCG (the pregnancy hormone) closely mimics LH (the ovulation hormone). This means that OPKs will show positive results when you are pregnant. It takes higher amounts of hCG to make a OPK positive than it does to make a pregnancy test positive. Positive OPKs are not a reliable indication of pregnancy in and of themselves. If you know you ovulated quite awhile ago though, and pregnancy is possible, a blaring positive on an OPK is usually a good sign that you are pregnant.

Last edited by ashley84; 01-22-2013 at 07:42 AM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, for that info. It is amazing to think I have ovalted. And all other signs point to that too.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

To me it is always amazing that my body kicks into gear so fast, and although not always into ovaltion. This time has, and it has many times in the past too. And that is with EBF and a baby that nurses right through the night 3 or 4 times as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
debbiesnappies
Registered Users

My Mood:

depends on how long your surge is, I tend the get a super dark line and ovulate that night or the next morning. Are you charting as well? because over time you can see a pattern from positive ovulation test and rise in temps.
Use code "new" for 5% off!
debbiesnappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

no, no charting as we just leave it all in God's Hands. The only reason I have OPK tests, it that if we have been together and I am showing signs, it would be neat to see if it was ovaltion and sure enough it showed. So this way I will also be able to better know when I am due, since we have homebirths. So if it is so this time. I am happy to know. As usually my cycles start up and go straight to 28 or often less. So if I went by my cycle then I would have thought my due date much earlier. But this time actually did not ovalate till day 21, so that makes a very different due date. One you would like to know when homebirthing. So really that is the only reason I have them.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I have been charting for a long time. OPK's can show a line (not a positive line though...there is a difference) just before your period is due.
OPK's can in actually show a line at any point in your cycle due to the hormone in your body...what makes them positive is that they are supposed to be as dark or darker than the other line.
Good Luck!